Tie Domi

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am not sure if they had a concussion protocol at that time. I heard Colby Armstrong say, after he retired, that when he had a head injury he did not say anything because he was afraid he would lose his spot on the roster and be out of the league. I believe that was a common sentiment at the time.
The protocol at the time was "how many fingers?"

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I am not sure if they had a concussion protocol at that time. I heard Colby Armstrong say, after he retired, that when he had a head injury he did not say anything because he was afraid he would lose his spot on the roster and be out of the league. I believe that was a common sentiment at the time.

And that’s probably why there was a rush to get a star like that back into the line up.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Used to see and do some business with Shayne Corson, good guy, really built for a hockey player, looks facially and physically, a lot like Rob Gronkowski.

I asked him how tough was Tie domi........ Foof...he said, he recalled he and Domi and a few of the guys sitting outside a waterside bar, during an away trip to play the Canes..

He said a crew of about 15 U.S. NAVY guys, give or take, swaggered up and made a rude comment, if I recall correctly, it was about the shape of Domi's head.

Domi stands up and asks two by two to stand up to him, and of course they get the first shot, pretty sure he called them all wusses at the same time.

They took him up on it, took six of them to fall apparently before they realized the guy was a freaking anomaly...

He made Sundin a lot braver, which was good, because when Sundin felt like it, he could beast around the net.

As much as I liked seeing Sundin scorch a slapshot into the top corner of the net before the goalie could even twitch a fast twitch muscle. I loved when he showed up and cycled in front of the net...

I know our fanbase loved and loves Mats Sundin, and for good reason....I can tell you, although having met him on a few occasions,, he is very soft spoken and extremely humble and well mannered, Mats Sundin, loves Tie Domi.

Always great, to have someone seriously tuff, watching over you. Not many men get to experience that.

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Grade A asshole, huge irritant, could fight but often punked out, cheap shot artist, would regularly commit what Scotty Bowman called the worst play in hockey and that is go into the corner in the OZ, retrieve the puck and blindly pass it in front of the net. The Niedermeyer incident was unforgivable His son seems every bit the asshole he was, hope he never plays for the Leafs

I picked this comment out as the one I agree with the most.
There are always a few players that will join your favourite team that you aren't thrilled with but you support anyways . . . then there's guys like this who I just couldn't support.

Heard of many first hand incidents off ice that speak to his a-hole nature as well.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
cheap shots are cheap shots. Are you not able to be objective?

Fitting use of misogyny for an opinion like that.

I guess you never watched Mark Messier, Ulf Samuelsson, Peca or even beloved Doug Gimour play

These boys loved their elbows. Go watch videos of Bure and Churla
Roenick and Hatcher

What he did to Niderymer was bad but it's not like Danyko and Devils were sweet hearts.

Stevens in that series was all over Sundin along with Gomez, Colin white

Any team that employed a head hunter in Stevens doesn't get to cry foul when their best player gets knocked out

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I guess you never watched Mark Messier, Ulf Samuelsson, Peca or even beloved Doug Gimour play

These boys loved their elbows. Go watch videos of Bure and Churla
Roenick and Hatcher

What he did to Niderymer was bad but it's not like Danyko and Devils were sweet hearts.

Stevens in that series was all over Sundin along with Gomez, Colin white

Any team that employed a head hunter in Stevens doesn't get to cry foul when their best player gets knocked out

What-about-ism isn’t a counterpoint.

Whether any of those guys are dirty is irrelevant to the question of how Domi conducted himself on the ice.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
What-about-ism isn’t a counterpoint.

Whether any of those guys are dirty is irrelevant to the question of how Domi conducted himself on the ice.

Oh ok simple responses. Cool

Domi never allowed his team to get pushed around

If Tavares got hit by Kassian during Domi era, he would have done the same to McDavid

Hence my Niderymer comparisom

He would have picked a fight a Kassian and send a message

Something our players haven't done

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I have to admit till Shayne told me that story, till I met Mats, on two random interfaces....I wasn't a big fan..

But a guy who mentored me for quite a few years, who brought four on four to the NHL, took me aside, and told me, that if Borje Salming, had, gotten a d partner like Tie Domi, he would be on par with Bobby Orr..

Bobby Orr was tough on his own yes, but he knew, he totally knew, if he couldn't plow a guy fast, he had ten or maybe more guys that were going to skate blade whoever he was going up against..,

Confidence...Its everything in sports if you ask me... everything...

Domi gave that generously to Sundin... and lemme tell you, Sundin loved it...

And Domi only had one big weakness, he fell down far too much, but when he could stay on his skates, holy shit, he was the scariest Maple lEAF OF ALL TIM E..

Remember this was our culture in Canada for decades.... Now its a wizard of oz rainbow...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I have to admit till Shayne told me that story, till I met Mats, on two random interfaces....I wasn't a big fan..

But a guy who mentored me for quite a few years, who brought four on four to the NHL, took me aside, and told me, that if Borje Salming, had, gotten a d partner like Tie Domi, he would be on par with Bobby Orr..

Bobby Orr was tough on his own yes, but he knew, he totally knew, if he couldn't plow a guy fast, he had ten or maybe more guys that were going to skate blade whoever he was going up against..,

Confidence...Its everything in sports if you ask me... everything...

Domi gave that generously to Sundin... and lemme tell you, Sundin loved it...

And Domi only had one big weakness, he fell down far too much, but when he could stay on his skates, holy shit, he was the scariest Maple lEAF OF ALL TIM E..

Remember this was our culture in Canada for decades.... Now its a wizard of oz rainbow...

Both the whataboutism, and this is the truth back in the day. Domi was loved as a Leaf. He might have been every one of the negatives said about him in this thread, but that was hockey back in the day. If you judge him by today's standards, he's terrible... but by the standards back then, and there weren't many... he was a fan favourite, and a favourite of players on his team. That was hockey. Hockey changed, we changed.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oh ok simple responses. Cool

Domi never allowed his team to get pushed around

If Tavares got hit by Kassian during Domi era, he would have done the same to McDavid

Hence my Niderymer comparisom

He would have picked a fight a Kassian and send a message

Something our players haven't done

Well in a tit for tat world... you are cool with Messier throwing elbows or Stevens or Samuelson. Since they are simply doing things to other dirty teams.’’

Right?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Best game Domi ever played in his life was a playoff game against NJ.

With minutes left and the game in hand, he took out Scott Neidermayer and was suspended, ending his chance at being considered seriously as a player.
He was for sure going to be a star of the game and he threw it away.

Tie could skate, hit and protect but had poor on-ice vision and shooting.

Calling him a star at any time in his career is a bit of a stretch.As a Leaf fan i did enjoy his on ice antics except for the hit on Niedermayer.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Used to see and do some business with Shayne Corson, good guy, really built for a hockey player, looks facially and physically, a lot like Rob Gronkowski.

I asked him how tough was Tie domi........ Foof...he said, he recalled he and Domi and a few of the guys sitting outside a waterside bar, during an away trip to play the Canes..

He said a crew of about 15 U.S. NAVY guys, give or take, swaggered up and made a rude comment, if I recall correctly, it was about the shape of Domi's head.

Domi stands up and asks two by two to stand up to him, and of course they get the first shot, pretty sure he called them all wusses at the same time.

They took him up on it, took six of them to fall apparently before they realized the guy was a freaking anomaly...

He made Sundin a lot braver, which was good, because when Sundin felt like it, he could beast around the net.

As much as I liked seeing Sundin scorch a slapshot into the top corner of the net before the goalie could even twitch a fast twitch muscle. I loved when he showed up and cycled in front of the net...

I know our fanbase loved and loves Mats Sundin, and for good reason....I can tell you, although having met him on a few occasions,, he is very soft spoken and extremely humble and well mannered, Mats Sundin, loves Tie Domi.

Always great, to have someone seriously tuff, watching over you. Not many men get to experience that.

Just saying, I don't believe a word of this. On the ice? Sure. I've seen him face to face in person. There's just no way.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The definition of "meat head". The guy was a total lunatic and a freak of nature. I wouldn't want to spend one second with him off the ice, and wouldn't want him on the Leafs today.

But you can't deny what he did back when he was a Maple Leaf. As a hockey player of that era, it's easy to see why he was a fan favourite. Not many 4th liners make a difference at all. And Tie Domi made a huge difference when he played.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Well in a tit for tat world... you are cool with Messier throwing elbows or Stevens or Samuelson. Since they are simply doing things to other dirty teams.’’

Right?
Nieds and Stevens were both pieces of shit. How many careers did they combine to end? And yet both are in the hall of fame. Was what Domi did to Nieds dirty? You bet. Was it a long time coming? Damn straight. we could use a Domi, Corson or Tucker on this team. The NHL was a dirty game back in the day. Tie gets a lot of shit because of the spotlight but he was far from the worst of the bunch.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Nieds and Stevens were both pieces of shit. How many careers did they combine to end? And yet both are in the hall of fame. Was what Domi did to Nieds dirty? You bet. Was it a long time coming? Damn straight. we could use a Domi, Corson or Tucker on this team. The NHL was a dirty game back in the day. Tie gets a lot of shit because of the spotlight but he was far from the worst of the bunch.

boo

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

What career did Neidermeyer end? Seriously curious.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Domi's a legend, man. One of my favourites was when he ate the boards when we were down 2-0 to Ottawa in game 6. We scored on the PP, won the game and the series. Ottawa fans, as thick as they are, were convinced that Domi dove face-first on that play. Knowing how Tie played, I wouldn't rule it out...

The guy also bled Blue. I still remember the footage of his contract negotiations with the team. He came into the room with his agent, our GM said "Tie, we wanna offer you X dollars over X years". Tie said "Done", and shook his hand.

If only our current crop was that loyal.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

We had our Tucker & he was Kadri.

Mar 12, 2009
Some of you talking trash like you would have taken on Domi

In an era where every team had 2-3 heavy weights he earned his right to be in NHL

Dudes fights with Probert was better than any UFC fights. He fought big big guys.

Guys that would make lucic look like a teenage girl. Tom Wilson would be rag dolled

He fought Stu Grimson, Tony Twist, Probert, Kris King, Kypreous, Momesso, he rag dolled Neal and I don't remember Chara having so much balls when he was with the Leafs. It was only after he left Chara finally fought a leaf and had to be Brian McCabe

His fights against Rob Ray were treats to watch

He was over the line sure. But we don't have anyone like that

That was a different era. Some of you snowflakes are forgetting that
I don't see anyone acting like they would or could "take him on" lmao

I like this post because the poster is a bit of a running joke on the board and the idea of him having ever been in a fight, or that he's something other than a "snowflake" (his meltdowns elsewhere betray him) is hilarious.

As for Domi, he was a grade A fighter but was a bit too much of a bonehead to max out his effectiveness. Towards the latter half of his Leaf days I remember people kind of turning from liking his antics to finding him a bit of a liability because of them, earning him the unoriginal nickname "Tie Dumi".

Mar 12, 2009
The guy that was screwing our new star players wife that divided the dressing room?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad