Tie Domi On Scott Stevens...

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Scott Stevens was a dirty pos, and Domi is right on this one. Stevens played in an era where obstruction and headshots=elite defense. For the era he played in, he was great.

However, his value in today's game would be drastically less than it was back then.

While I completely agree with the assessment of his methods during the dead puck era, to ignore the fact that he was a capable offensive defender with the Caps during the first half of his career is to ignore the fact that he had a major shift in his game.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
That question was posed to Domi on the most recent episode of the Cam And Strick Podcast, where the former hard-hitting forward laid into the Hall of Famer.

“Scott Stevens was the biggest phony I ever played against,” Domi said after a quick chuckle. “Honestly, I chased that guy for years. He was such a phony, it was a joke. Let me put that out there.”

“That guy used to target all the best players on my teams and I always tried to fight him, and he would never fight,” Domi claimed. “He never, ever, answered the bell.

“Him and I ended up on the bench. He was bear-hugging so hard, I said ‘let go, I’m going to beat the s— out of you’ and he wouldn’t let go. He was holding on so tight.

“He was a good hitter, obviously, but he targeted the wrong guys at very vulnerable times and he never answered the bell.

“Scott Stevens, a tough guy? Give me a break.”

Man, Domi isn't much of a salesman, is he?

Reactions: Gjman2019

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I remember the Devils rallied big time after that sucker elbow. Domi totally took all momentum away from Toronto and handed it right to the Devils. I remember fondly how the Devils crushed Toronto those last two games.

Didn't Tie cry after that game?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hockey was so entertaining to watch back then!!.. its so bizzare watching those games that are randomly aired now.. every shift you can count probably 5 penalties that would be called nowadays

I remember being sooooo excited for the next Rock em Sock em videos that would come out... I don't even think that would even legally be allowed to be made and sold nowadays lol... people would be freaking out saying that it's promoting poor behaviour or something

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Keep laughing f***eyes. Whatever you say, I'm not trying to appear to be anything. I know the game has changed but people still weren't pulling the shit he was. I don't like butter soft like the NHL has become but things like that hit on Kariya in 03 SCF was the epitome of the loser Stevens was. Head hunting, predatory dirty player. Was then and is even moreso now if you apply his game to newer standards.
Other defensemen weren't catching guys with their heads down cutting across the middle? Stevens was pretty much a hard clean hitter. He'd get suspended for the Kariya hit and possibly the Lindros hit depending on how the league looked at his body movement prior to being hit. Even by newer standards, a huge majority of his hits would be legal.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
I could see Stevens being the type of player that threw all those big/questionable hits on teams star players.. but mostly skated away and avoided anyone who wanted to fight him. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
I could see Stevens being the type of player that threw all those big/questionable hits on teams star players.. but mostly skated away and avoided anyone who wanted to fight him. Maybe I'm wrong.
Your wrong, Scott Steven's fought the heavy weights back then, he would be a heavy weight in today's hockey and be a Norris candidate on top of it.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Your wrong, Scott Steven's fought the heavy weights back then, he would be a heavy weight in today's hockey and be a Norris candidate on top of it.

Didn't watch seriously back then, too young. From what I know he was a great defensive player and extremely important to his team, threw constant great hits. Was just thinking about the fighting side of things, never knew he went head to head with the big guys

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

I believe the tears were after he found out he was suspended for the rest of the playoffs. f*** him and his crocodile tears. What a real tough guy to elbow someone in the face and he has the nerve to call someone else out?

My feelings about Tie have been known since I joined this site in 2002.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Every single one of the big hits that Stevens is known for occurred in the playoffs. He wasn't going around lighting players up like that during the regular season - only in the post season when the stakes were higher and the physical play was ramped up. The Devils certainly didn't want him going to the box for 5 minutes during a playoff game.

Stevens also dropped the gloves with heavyweights enough times in his career that he didn't have anything to prove. He is a Hall of Fame defenseman that didn't need to be sitting in the box for 5 minutes along with some 4th line goon.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I believe the tears were after he found out he was suspended for the rest of the playoffs. f*** him and his crocodile tears. What a real tough guy to elbow someone in the face and he has the nerve to call someone else out?

My feelings about Tie have been known since I joined this site in 2002.
03ff9cdc-febe-4171-820a-28eef4b3efaf_text.gif

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City

Not sure, but this past season Tie was at a Devils game and Key Daneyko pointed him out and said they are friends now. He said Tie told him that he regrets the incident, which surprised me for about ten seconds until Daneyko continued. Sounded like he regrets the fact that it hurt his own team, and not that he injured another player with a blatant cheap shot.

Considering how much that changed the series for the worse for Toronto, I could see him being upset.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Didn't watch seriously back then, too young. From what I know he was a great defensive player and extremely important to his team, threw constant great hits. Was just thinking about the fighting side of things, never knew he went head to head with the big guys

In his Devils days, Stevens fought guys worth fighting, like Probert, Tocchet (gave Tocchet one of the worst black eyes I have ever seen) and Lindros. He had a much wider range of opponents with the Capitals, when he was less important to the team.

And remember what Domi said when he turtled against Jim MacKenzie the next time the Devils played the Leafs? Words to the effect of "No one tells me when to fight." I guess no one told Stevens when to fight either.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Answering the bell...lol All of a sudden Domi has to square up against Stevens when he was sucker punching everyone else in the league. I'd say it had more to do with Stevens being a #1 D on a cup winning team not wanting a scrub like Domi to get him off the ice for 5 minutes. Note, I actually depise Stevens.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Your memory fails you. Stevens was in the penalty box when that happened. I still remember him banging the glass and yelling from the box. Easy to do when you're held back by glass and wood, not so easy when you're out on the ice and Stevens never did squat afterwards in any games they played each other.

I despise Tie Domi but he's right on this one.

Domi chose to make his cheap shot when Stevens was in the box.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Stevens would be suspended big time in today’s nhl.

No he wouldn't because he would have played within the rules. For someone who played as physical as he did, he had something like five elbowing minors for his entire career. Domi, on the other hand, did shit that would have got him suspended at the height of the 70s goon era.

If you took a poll of every living NHLer as to who they respect more, Scott Stevens or Tie Domi, every one of them will say Stevens, and that would include Max Domi.

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
BTW, Scott Steven's was not bad for the NHL, he was just a tough customer. Brad Marchment on the other hand went after players knees to end their careers and it occurred a few times.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Tie Domi was such a piece of ****.

Exhibit A - already mentioned, his cheap shot on Niedermayer.

Here's Exhibit B

Jump to 0:45, Kaberle's got a Flyers player tied up and Domi swoops in and gives him a couple healthy shots - and then runs scared and literally hides behind Kaberle, until the ref comes in to hold back Richardson. Then he starts flapping his gums again and acting tough.

Doesn't get more chicken**** than that, IMO. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad