Ticket/Attendance Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think things will be back to normal by October. We're going to be swimming in vaccine in a month or so. The province's most conservative estimates have the entire population vaccinated by mid-June. All the vaccines seem to grant near 100% protection against the most severe form of the disease.

I'm sure there will still be some pandemic Kabuki where they take your temperature when you come in and have hand sanitizer everywhere. They might even require proof of vaccination for entry, which doesn't seem unreasonable (to me...YMMV ;) ).

Yes, probably.

But even vaccinated I will still be wary of this disease. It might not kill me anymore, but it isn't a black or white situation, either dead or fully healthy. I suspect I would survive with serious lung damage. I could find myself tethered to an oxygen bottle for the rest of my life, or worse.

As long as new case counts remain substantial, I will need to continue to be careful. I assume there are a lot of people in similar situations. It is not a simple case of what the government will permit. The public health requirements are just minimums.

Reactions: Jetland162702

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think things will be back to normal by October. We're going to be swimming in vaccine in a month or so. The province's most conservative estimates have the entire population vaccinated by mid-June. All the vaccines seem to grant near 100% protection against the most severe form of the disease.

I'm sure there will still be some pandemic Kabuki where they take your temperature when you come in and have hand sanitizer everywhere. They might even require proof of vaccination for entry, which doesn't seem unreasonable (to me...YMMV ;) ).

We're probably looking a bit later than that. A lot will depend on maintaining rollout through the various bottlenecks and both doses, and then on what happens with vax passports, etc.

I'm not sure how TNSE might handle pre-screening/proof of vax but the province tends to be indecisive on such matters in terms of actual mandates, so there will be lobbying, guidance grey areas and a whole lot of back-and-forth for a while going forward, IMO, although I'd expect things will be clearer by August.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The thing to remember, IMO, is that next season is a "hope" to have fans in attendance, so the Jets are just doing what they would normally do in preparation for an upcoming season re our monies in case things are full steam ahead.

But I'm sure they are also planning for alternative openings like 10%, 15%, 25% etc. and how to manage. I'm fairly certain that in any discussions that TNSE has had with health officials, they have been told in no uncertain terms that the last thing in Manitoba that will get the OK to open with full capacity... will be the arena... so be prepared.

It's all about the numbers.

Reactions: buggs

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Vaccine passports are going to be tremendously contentious as an issue. We don't have them for Polio or Measles, both of which can be deadly to select groups in populations, both of which were nearly eradicated, both of which are resurging (though clearly not to Covid levels). There will be legal challenges. And no, I'm not anti-vaccine, I'm playing devil's advocate.

As a STH, say you're concerned about the safety of the vaccine. You're relatively young and healthy so Covid poses minimal risk to you and your immediate circle. You decide to opt out of the vaccine in the short term, which is your legal right. Then TNSE says 'hey, you can't come to Jets games unless you're vaccinated'. You say 'fine, cancel my ST account'. Do they say 'sorry, you signed a contract, you must pay'. Who wins that battle?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Vaccine passports are going to be tremendously contentious as an issue. We don't have them for Polio or Measles, both of which can be deadly to select groups in populations, both of which were nearly eradicated, both of which are resurging (though clearly not to Covid levels). There will be legal challenges. And no, I'm not anti-vaccine, I'm playing devil's advocate.

As a STH, say you're concerned about the safety of the vaccine. You're relatively young and healthy so Covid poses minimal risk to you and your immediate circle. You decide to opt out of the vaccine in the short term, which is your legal right. Then TNSE says 'hey, you can't come to Jets games unless you're vaccinated'. You say 'fine, cancel my ST account'. Do they say 'sorry, you signed a contract, you must pay'. Who wins that battle?

We have vaccination records that are used. For example you cannot register a child for school without a vaccination record in Manitoba.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

If think if there was a global Polio or Measles pandemic, vaccine passports for those would seem to be a reasonable measure.

There's a clause in the TPA that states that the season ticket holder "shall be subject to, and shall abide by, all policies, procedures, terms and conditions as published from time to time and as set forth by the Team, the MTS Centre, and/or the NHL, each of whom reserve the right to change such policies, procedures, terms and conditions at any time and for any reason without notice." If the STH refuses to comply with their policies, they can be considered in default, and TNSE can basically do anything at that point (e.g. keep your deposit, and sue you for the balance owing on the rest of your term, etc.).

But yes, that would be pretty contentious...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
We have vaccination records that are used. For example you cannot register a child for school without a vaccination record in Manitoba.

I don't disbelieve you, but I am surprised. This would mean that children who haven't been vaccinated have to be home schooled, is that correct?

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

All adults who want one will have the first shot by mid June.
Until a month after everyone has their second shot I don't think things will open right up.

Reactions: Gm0ney

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't disbelieve you, but I am surprised. This would mean that children who haven't been vaccinated have to be home schooled, is that correct?

It means you have to jump through lots of hoops to attend a public school involving doctors notes etc as to why the child has not been vaccinated. Most people just get vaccinated.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
All adults who want one will have the first shot by mid June.
Until a month after everyone has their second shot I don't think things will open right up.

This is likely correct but if you follow the timelines ideally your second shot should happen 12 weeks after your first so everyone should have their second shot by Mid September and then by Mid October you're back open right at the start of the regular season... maybe 2-3 games in.

I'm sure this is the ideal scenario for the Jets so it makes sense they start collecting deposits as per usual. The timelines right now seem to work for the NHL.

Reactions: Gm0ney

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
They can threaten legal action all they want. It’s true that your season ticket contract bonds you to it’s terms. However if you are unable to fulfill your obligations the TNSE must do everything necessary to mirage their losses. This would mean going to the waiting list.
My point had nothing to do with whether they would actually take legal action, it was that their first and only response to even asking was to threaten legal action.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
My point had nothing to do with whether they would actually take legal action, it was that their first and only response to even asking was to threaten legal action.
I don’t think they have any other choice. If they set a precedent in not threatening legal action then whenever a STH felt they wanted out then they woollies have to accommodate.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
TNSE, like other NHL team owners, are taking a big financial hit this season. As a fan, I'm pleased that I am able to watch NHL hockey.

I look forward to attending games in person, and don't really mind starting to pay for tickets for next season in advance. I don't have any concerns that if I can't attend games because of the COVID-19 pandemic that I won't have my ticket costs reimbursed.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020

This is the least pleasant aspect of being a STH, IMO, the way that TNSE starts playing hardball with customers.

No one has a crystal ball, anything can happen over the course of a multi year term. A successful family business can get obliterated, a person can get sick and become unable to work, you name it. Then you have to deal with the additional stress of TNSE's lawyers hounding you to make good on your season ticket commitments?

The pandemic was a bit of an eye opener for me in terms of the curveballs that can come at you. It's why I'm bailing after this season. For the dozen or so Jets games I attend each year it would be easier to just buy them on fansfirst and not have to worry about this kind of thing.

Out of curiosity, does any other NHL team make fans take out multi year commitments for any season tickets? And not just premium seats, but everything right down to the nosebleeds?

David Mandel

Mar 11, 2021
Will not be giving any $$ to TNSE for any tickets.

Look what is happening in New York for fans going to games. They literally are being hosed by the Rangers. And this will happen to Jets fans. You have to provide proof of testing and have to buy tickets by a certain time.

Its going to be even worse in Winnipeg and Canada cause of the incompetence. There will be so many upset fans in Winnipeg that ppl will just not go.

David Mandel

Mar 11, 2021
This is the least pleasant aspect of being a STH, IMO, the way that TNSE starts playing hardball with customers.

No one has a crystal ball, anything can happen over the course of a multi year term. A successful family business can get obliterated, a person can get sick and become unable to work, you name it. Then you have to deal with the additional stress of TNSE's lawyers hounding you to make good on your season ticket commitments?

The pandemic was a bit of an eye opener for me in terms of the curveballs that can come at you. It's why I'm bailing after this season. For the dozen or so Jets games I attend each year it would be easier to just buy them on fansfirst and not have to worry about this kind of thing.

Out of curiosity, does any other NHL team make fans take out multi year commitments for any season tickets? And not just premium seats, but everything right down to the nosebleeds?

Pretty much every team. Seat licenses. If you walk away they keep the $$.

i wouldn't be worried about TNSE ticket staff threatening. They have no clue what they are talking about. You have ZERO responsibility to keep the tickets if you want. You can violate the agreement but they can just keep your deposit.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Not looking forward to social distances in the line up for the bathroom @ mts centre. 6 feet apart in line.... people will just cut in line...... they will have to red rope the line up and it would be like 3 hour waits @ Disney/universal studios....

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Not looking forward to social distances in the line up for the bathroom @ mts centre. 6 feet apart in line.... people will just cut in line...... they will have to red rope the line up and it would be like 3 hour waits @ Disney/universal studios....
A lineup of 900 people, socially distanced 6 feet apart is 1 mile long. Imagine what it’ll be like to get in the arena, let alone getting out...

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

This.

The major concern with vaccine passports is that businesses will abuse its intended purpose - which is only for travel outside the country. The last thing the government wants is for businesses to require you being vaccinated before entry.

Should McDonald’s or Wal-Mart have the right to deny entry without a vaccine passport? What about an apartment complex...are they allowed to deny you renting an apartment? Or your employer...can they make it mandatory to be vaccinated to work there?

There’s major ethical and human rights considerations for vaccine passports that needs to be thought through.

And - it doesn’t sound like there will be vaccines approved for kids anytime soon. One article I read stated possibly in the Fall, but it might not be approved for all ages...could be ages 12 and up.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah for me I would have been more than happy to keep renewing yearly. I just did not feel comfortable having that multi year commitment anymore. I let my seats go before the bcovid shortened season and am definitely glad I did. I was in the aviation field so naturally lost my job and had to take a pay cut to where there would be no way I could afford tickets if I was still under contract.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Pretty much every team. Seat licenses. If you walk away they keep the $$.

I know seat licenses are common in the NFL, but is it the same with the NHL? For example, if you want to buy a season ticket in a non-premium section for, say, the Minnesota Wild or Columbus Blue Jackets, you need to pony up for a PSL?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Will not be giving any $$ to TNSE for any tickets.

Look what is happening in New York for fans going to games. They literally are being hosed by the Rangers. And this will happen to Jets fans. You have to provide proof of testing and have to buy tickets by a certain time.

Its going to be even worse in Winnipeg and Canada cause of the incompetence. There will be so many upset fans in Winnipeg that ppl will just not go.

What literally being hosed means to most people. :nod:

200.gif

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
A lineup of 900 people, socially distanced 6 feet apart is 1 mile long. Imagine what it’ll be like to get in the arena, let alone getting out...

They will have maybe 3,000 fans so it will be very easy and efficient to get in

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Yes, probably.

But even vaccinated I will still be wary of this disease. It might not kill me anymore, but it isn't a black or white situation, either dead or fully healthy. I suspect I would survive with serious lung damage. I could find myself tethered to an oxygen bottle for the rest of my life, or worse.

Vaccinations cure a lot of the problem, but you are correct to be cautious.

COVID is a disease that hammers endothelial cells, which do a multiplicity of tasks, including lining the microvasculature, release of key cytokines and paracrine signaling molecules and providing capillary conduits in multiple organs. Lungs, heart, kidney, muscle, etc etc. Some folks have heightened sensitivity to COVID infections for not-yet-well-defined reasons. Some barely become ill. Reinfections are rare, but can happen. Like any virus, mutations to their proteins are the modus du jour.

Sorry for slightly derailing this discussion, but gatherings at the tail end of this pandemic are salient to attending a Jets game.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad