GDT: Thursday November 6 | Wild @ Sens | 730 EST | TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Not that I'm freaking about standings this early, but dang, 7-3-2 and still not in the top 3 in the Atlantic.

Granted it's early, and teams are shifting up and down nightly, but good thing we are having a strong start just to keep pace:

1. Tampa 9-3-1
2. MTL 9-4-1
3. Boston 9-6-0
4. Ottawa 7-3-2

Big note: we have 3 games in hand on Boston, 2 on MTL and 1 on Tampa.

We'd be second in the Metro divison.

We are 5th in the conference though... it is because our division is strong.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Some people are just always so worrisome. What's wrong with sitting back and enjoying the ride so far? We're going to hit a losing patch most teams do so enjoy it while it lasts.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Absolutely loved the effort and definitely one of the most exciting to watch this season.

- Andy proved why he can start two/three/four nights in a row. Back-to-back this week, Lehner will see action when he is due but Andy is rolling hot right now.

-I have a buddy in Minnesota, huge Wild fan. I told him to watch out for #68 Hoffman pre-game. :yo:

-Boro/Cowen playing physical and making good transitional passes out of our D-zone. I've felt D-zone passing has been our biggest flaw so far, and it improved dramatically last night. I've been suggesting since the start of the season that Boro-Karlsson would work due to the nature of both of their strengths and I still feel that way after last night.

New PP units (only mild criticism from the game):

Mac Turr Ryan
Zib Karl

Hoff Legwand Chiasson
Cowen Karl/Ceci

Even though I don't think Legwand is PP material, Maclean does and he may find chemistry with Chiasson, who should be on the PP in front of the net. Rotate Stone and Chiasson, see who plays it better.

Just give the 30 something last seconds of the PP to the kid line
Just once for a change
See wath they can do
Theyve earn it

No wait

That PP monster that is legwand is taking care of the PP

All good:D

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Although I like that MacLean doesn't shuffle the lines a lot this year, I think they need to change powerplay units a bit. More Hoffman, Stone and Ceci, less Karlsson, Michalek and Legwand.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The team deflates fast if Anderson wasn't in trance mode. That's what great goaltending can do, you avoid a couple deflating goals and the team plays well.

So the truth is they played very well, but with a lesser goaltending performance it probsbly goes south fast.

Not to say the team is doomed but it has to be understood by fans that this roster has holes.

Every roster has holes. Thankfully this one has two great goaltenders to swing momentum the other way.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I disagree. This is the most complete game Ottawa has played all year.

Even though they outshoot us, we had more scoring chances... which is what counts at the end of the day, imo. They had 2-3 excellent chances and Anderson stopped them. We had multiple and we messed up on them.

Legwand's 2on1, Karlsson's 2on1, multiple PP's, Lazar's chances, Turris' post etc...

vs Vanek's 2 chances, post by Dumba, 1 more glove save by Anderson on Granlund?

Ottawa allowed 35 shot to one of the best teams who's been averaging more than that. Yesterday was very, very successful.

Consider Methot isn't playing and a potential upgrade on Michalek in 2nd line could seriously make this team a division contender.

Karlsson isn't even playing his peak yet or close to it. Good times, Sens fans.

Zucker's wide open net (post) as well

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Just let Zibby figure it out down the middle. We shouldn't be shifting him to the wing. Same with Bobby. If we're trying to get Ryan to succeed, this is not the way to do it. Moving Bobby to the third line with 2 (not slow but) not fast guys doesn't make sense. Bobby is still our biggest scoring threat at any given time due to his shiftiness and release. So he's a little out of shape, let him round into form. He's still giving his all out there, no reason for the demotion.

I see it as trying to spark Zibanejad by playing him with the two best forwards and giving Legwand actual talent on his line.

All these crazy puck possession teams control the puck just fine, but for the most part we've done well enough to limit the great scoring chances. Last night a lot of shots were hardly what I call reasonable scoring chances, they just throw so much on net. Volume =/= quality.

I thought the actual chances were pretty even last night, we just had the better goaltending.

Every shot has the chance to go in.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
From TSN. Yeesh.

Senators Second Line – It was during a 3-0 win, so there are likely some score effects involved, but Ottawa’s line of LW Milan Michalek, C Mika Zibanejad and RW Alex Chiasson was locked in its own end against Minnesota. Michalek(1 shot attempts for, 13 against, 7.1%) was worst of the bunch, followed by Zibanejad (1 for, 12 against, 7.7%) and Chiasson (2 for, 11 against, 15.4%). Zibanejad, Michalek and fellow Sens forwards David Legwand and Mark Stone did not register a single shot attempt between them.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
From TSN. Yeesh.

Senators Second Line – It was during a 3-0 win, so there are likely some score effects involved, but Ottawa’s line of LW Milan Michalek, C Mika Zibanejad and RW Alex Chiasson was locked in its own end against Minnesota. Michalek(1 shot attempts for, 13 against, 7.1%) was worst of the bunch, followed by Zibanejad (1 for, 12 against, 7.7%) and Chiasson (2 for, 11 against, 15.4%). Zibanejad, Michalek and fellow Sens forwards David Legwand and Mark Stone did not register a single shot attempt between them.

Yeah, it's weird. There have been many occurrences this year where this line get hemmed in our zone. Not sure who's at fault here, but one thing for sure is that line is not clicking. I would give them a couple more games, but if nothing changes then maybe swap Smith with Michalek.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see it as trying to spark Zibanejad by playing him with the two best forwards and giving Legwand actual talent on his line.

Every shot has the chance to go in.

And not all chances are equal.

It the big sample (league wide over multiple seasons) the difference seems to become irrelevant, but on a game by game basis, you'll see the odd game where a team gets 30+ shots, but very few legitimate scoring chances. Most teams would rather one shot from the slot over 5 from the point, infact, those point shots are often only taken in order to create a rebound opportunity.

I think if the trend continues (getting outshot by 6 per game on average) we'll struggle to maintain a winning record, but at the same time, watching us play, I don't think we'll continue to get outshot by 6 per game. We had lots of pressure, and kept them to the outside for the most part. Never felt like a shooting gallery out there.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, it's weird. There have been many occurrences this year where this line get hemmed in our zone. Not sure who's at fault here, but one thing for sure is that line is not clicking. I would give them a couple more games, but if nothing changes then maybe swap Smith with Michalek.

Could also send Zib a message he needs to pick it up by benching him and calling up Pageau, or moving Smith back to the middle for Turris, Leg, Lazar, Smith down the middle.

Kind of what we did with Cowen.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

There is a severe lack of chemistry and hockey sense on this line.

Lazars line works because lazAr and stone are brilliant and can mesh with anyone. And Hoffmans abilities are magnified as a result. Not say Hoffman doesn't add smarts but the drivers of this line are 27 and 61

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Could also send Zib a message he needs to pick it up by benching him and calling up Pageau, or moving Smith back to the middle for Turris, Leg, Lazar, Smith down the middle.

Kind of what we did with Cowen.

You don't need to bench zib right away, if anything, allow lazars line to take more ice.

In my mind any line Michalek is on quickly turns into a bottom 6. Mikas nit good enough to carry Michalek in a top 6 role.

Wouldn't be surprised if Hoffman ziba stone would work great, but we're not going to see that.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
There is a severe lack of chemistry and hockey sense on this line.

Lazars line works because lazAr and stone are brilliant and can mesh with anyone. And Hoffmans abilities are magnified as a result. Not say Hoffman doesn't add smarts but the drivers of this line are 27 and 61

Checked out some "advanced" stats for those players particularly. Chiasson seems to be on the bottom for a lot of the stats. Maybe he's the issue.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Checked out some "advanced" stats for those players particularly. Chiasson seems to be on the bottom for a lot of the stats. Maybe he's the issue.

They don't have as much chemistry. Michalek doesn't do anything particularly well with the puck, everything that happens on break outs is upto Mika and Chiasson.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Have to start Andy against the Jets now..release the lehner for the Leafs on Sunday?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
They don't have as much chemistry. Michalek doesn't do anything particularly well with the puck, everything that happens on break outs is upto Mika and Chiasson.

Dallas should really offer us something for him. On the wing with Spezza and Hemsky is one of the few places we know he works.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
In my mind any line Michalek is on quickly turns into a bottom 6. Mikas nit good enough to carry Michalek in a top 6 role.

Exactly. Michalek really deflates any top 6 line. Puempel may get a look sooner than later.

The team deflates fast if Anderson wasn't in trance mode. That's what great goaltending can do, you avoid a couple deflating goals and the team plays well.

So the truth is they played very well, but with a lesser goaltending performance it probsbly goes south fast.

Not to say the team is doomed but it has to be understood by fans that this roster has holes.

Same could be same about any team including boston montreal and tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad