GDT: Thursday November 6 | Wild @ Sens | 730 EST | TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah so let's burn assets. Good point

Conacher finished 3rd for RoY IIRC, so at the time he was seen as a great asset. And we got a 4th round pick too (Lindberg)

Do you remember that Bishop was acquired with a 2nd?

Bishop played 2 seasons with the Sens, helped them make the playoffs twice when Andy was injured and we had Alex Auld when he came in... Plus Conacher (who scored very important goals vs the Habs) and Lindberg

You understand what is asset management? Yes we could have made a bigger profit but how was it possible to discover what Bishop was going to be? (which might not be as good as you think, he might just settle as a middle of the pack goalie, tons of good goalies in the NHL). Thing is we already had Anderson and Lehner (the goalie of the future). Montreal traded Halak and Huet too. LA traded Bernier, etc.

But now that I think about it... Did you even understand my initial point?

Tara scored again.

Good work Murray.

lol so annoying.

can we stop trying to create a goalie controversy and just enjoy that we finally have a great tandem? Murray made our greatest weakness into our greatest strength.

Never being satisfied is probably the greatest disease of humanity

Minnesota is insanely snakebitten tonight. Combination of Anderson and hilariously bad (good?) luck.

It was refreshing to see the Sens being at the good side of luck tonight, a lot of bad luck in the last few years. And only have been frustraded with reffing in 2 games so far this season (16.66% of games is a good rate compared to last few seasons!)

Between Murray & Melnyk, we seem to have made an organizational decision to avoid drafting Russians, though.

It was never meant to be.

Seems evident to me that Muckler drafting is making it very hard for the organization to gamble on Russians. When you get burned that many times, at some point you have to stop the bleeding.

PS : you forgot Kovalev in your other post.

good gawd the pp is waffle tonight

Has been efficient at least once for the GWG

The Wild must have had a lot of low quality shots, all from outside the key scoring area! :sarcasm:

Outside of that 5-10 mins span in the 2nd, most shots were, you're right

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400564032

Normal game defensively (in fact, very few shots from the middle of the slot) but offensively, Sens didn't do a lot, they were opportunistic though

Anderson was brilliant because he was always in perfect position, not giving up a lot of the net to shoot at, and he stayed composed, not flopping over the ice. Andy is definitely "in the zone".

One thing that is great for our goalies and that I have observed is that the opposition throw useless shots early at them, and in my opinion it gets them "in the game". The worst thing for a goalie is not seeing shots in the first few minutes then facing point blank shots while still "cold". When I'm playing (amateur goalie), I wish for point shots or shots from the wings to get me in the game.

Yikes, has he even been watching or did he just see the score and make something up?

He's an analyst for TVA and I must say, he is quite good. Obviously understands the game at a level we don't (sometimes I have to rewind and listen again to really understand what he is explaining). Hockey fans read the number of shots, hockey players, coaches, etc see it a different way.

Scoring chances against have been good this game. Not good for us.

Ya, very few shots, passing was nice but didn't end up the plays with many scoring chances. Fortunately, Backstrom gave up a bad goal and Sens were opportunistic.

I like Legwand.

Why do you decide to be so unpopular?

We are up by three. That is the shut down line.

lol it's amazing isn't?

I mean the most inexperienced team in the league that most said would be bottom-5 before the season is currently BLANKING one of the best teams 3-0 and 80% of the posts are about little details whining. That's a bit sad in fact that so many people just can't enjoy simple things anymore.

What is even more amazing is that if the Legwand line get scored on less than 10 Goals at ES ALL SEASON, the same narrative will continue, while in the locker room everybody will go see them and say "amazing job guys, keep it on!"

This game should be 3-1 Wild.

Sens never been on the short end of the stick?

Chill out. It's fun while it lasts, but it probably won't last and then it won't be fun. Hopefully the team improves and stops giving up so many shots and scoring chances.

Thing is, they don't give up that many scoring chances, not more than your regular NHL team. Watch other NHL games. Some games Sens have more scoring chances than the opposition, sometimes it's the opposite and it evens out*. Yes, they give up more shots but that's due to other factors (not a lot of shot blocking D-men, Lehner give up a ton of rebounds, part of the system to leave the shot to the outside and take care of 2nd chances). But yeah, let's just look at number of shots without further analysis.

* I remember 2-3 years ago (not sure when, think it was 2011-12), people here were continuously whining about the number of shots/scoring chances against but a blogger had the count for number of chances for and against at every game. Overall, Sens were outchancing the opposition... so let's keep whining I guess.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Does anyone know where we can see scoring chances numbers? Is there a site that tracks that?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Does anyone know where we can see scoring chances numbers? Is there a site that tracks that?

I dunno, but from my observations, I'd say the number of good scoring chances vary from 10 to 15 in a normal game, I count hitting the post or a puck rolling down the line with no shot as a scoring chance.

Sens didn't reach that number of chances last night, offense was a little off. But Minny is a very good team defensively, they don't give up a lot of time and space.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I dunno, but from my observations, I'd say the number of good scoring chances vary from 10 to 15 in a normal game, I count hitting the post or a puck rolling down the line with no shot as a scoring chance.

Sens didn't reach that number of chances last night, offense was a little off. But Minny is a very good team defensively, they don't give up a lot of time and space.

Yeah, I was looking for a site that has that info.

BTW, someone from the Wild board was counting the scoring chances and they said it was 13-12 in our favour. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1) Anderson was insane
2) Backstrom was horrible
3) flip goalies and we lose 8 - 0

Hardly a convincing win - is this not worth some conversation? Not interested that our supposed 2nd and 3rd lines are offensive black holes or our 2-goal scorer had the lowest ice-time? Un. Believable. x 10

If someone didn't know what an hyperbole was, just read this post.

This is a good point. I'd like to see the scoring chances stat if it's available somewhere. I think that is more important than the number of shots. In the first period MIN maybe had one scoring chance, and yet they had 9 shots. It can be deceiving.

It is. Glad to see more people are talking about this now. We still have to reduce the number of shots against to prevent more bad goals/rebounds, and sometimes pucks find a way through a maze.

First thing, Sens don't block a lot of shots :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...AAll&sort=blockedShots&viewName=realTimeStats

Relatively close to being last in the league in that stat

Another thing is the give-aways. Karlsson is 2nd in the whole league right now and Spezza is 3rd right now. Having both was definitely a problem IMO

Team might have been outshot, but definitely not outplayed. Could have easily been 2-2, the Wild played well and probably deserved to score a few, but the team definitely didn't "steal" the game on goaltending alone. Thought it was a pretty complete effort, everyone was solid, with Anderson being great.

Yet, people who look at the shots total will think the opposite. Go figure.

Not that I'm freaking about standings this early, but dang, 7-3-2 and still not in the top 3 in the Atlantic.

Granted it's early, and teams are shifting up and down nightly, but good thing we are having a strong start just to keep pace:

1. Tampa 9-3-1
2. MTL 9-4-1
3. Boston 9-6-0
4. Ottawa 7-3-2

Big note: we have 3 games in hand on Boston, 2 on MTL and 1 on Tampa.

We'd be second in the Metro divison.

Check Point %

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSAAAll&sort=pointPctg&viewName=summary

Tampa, Montreal (Sens are very lose), Ottawa, Boston

I agree. Yes we were outshot and we need to fix that but I actually thought the team looked decent. It wasn't one of those undeserved wins IMO.

I'm not sure why we're nitpicking some of these wins. We're not a cup contender nor according to many a playoff team so why are we holding the team up to those same standards? We have a very young team. Let's enjoy the wins while we can.

Very well said and I don't see another reasonable way to look at it. Most inexperienced team in the league, tough to play against (if Karlsson doesn't screw up)

Every shot has the chance to go in.

Not really... We're talking about NHL goalies there. I mean, there's many shots I could have saved myself as an amateur goalie. You can expect NHL goalies to save 99% of those routine shots (1% is like the Sens 2nd goal, it was not a hard save to make for a NHL goalie)

Last night, Sens didn't throw a lot of dangerous shots on net, in fact most of their best scoring chances didn't even hit the net.

Yeah, it's weird. There have been many occurrences this year where this line get hemmed in our zone. Not sure who's at fault here, but one thing for sure is that line is not clicking. I would give them a couple more games, but if nothing changes then maybe swap Smith with Michalek.

Yeah, might be a serious problem of chemistry there. Impossible to get everyone firing on all cylinders and there's stretches where different guys start to click but that line has not been very good so far.

Yeah, I was looking for a site that has that info.

BTW, someone from the Wild board was counting the scoring chances and they said it was 13-12 in our favour. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

Yeah it's impossible. Like I said a bit above, most of our scoring chances didn't end up with a shot on net, so that's possible (ex : Turris hit the post, Hoffman just missed the puck on a 2 on 1)

In scoring chances where the goalie had to make a save, WIld had more if I'm too crazy

Like I said, in a vacuum, chances are about 10-15 per team per game. All NHL teams are good and like every ex NHL player keep repeating on broadcasts, there is no easy game.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We didn't play all that well last night but I'm oddly satisfied with the win. It's weird.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
There is a severe lack of chemistry and hockey sense on this line.

Lazars line works because lazAr and stone are brilliant and can mesh with anyone. And Hoffmans abilities are magnified as a result. Not say Hoffman doesn't add smarts but the drivers of this line are 27 and 61

I agree, each player has real skill (Stone, in particular, is special), those skills mesh well, and all 3 play a possession type of hockey. Watching them play together makes it easy to see why the two "black hole" lines (Mika & Legwand) are so horrible offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad