Pre-Game Talk: Thursday McWild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
This season keeps screaming act of God to me. I for one see the benefit of Chiarelli, Mclellan and Mcdavid seeing this team in the dumpster one last time. It allows Chia to evaluate the team in a way only these injuries will allow (what that means only time will tell). It allows Mclellan to get a glimps what it must have been like for Hall, Ebs and Nuge to play under those circumstances for 5 years and see which ones want to be here. It gives Mcdavid the chance to play for a bottom dwelling team and grow through all the pressures and challenges. It also allows for one more high draft pick if they use it or trade it doesn't matter but if it ends up being Laine all the Oil Bashing from the last decade will have Karma ***** hands all over it.

The other night against San Jose when the fans were actually cheering on the Oil down 3-0 with 6min left in the 3rd reminded me how important Edm fan base is. I bet there are MABEY 2 other fan bases in the league that would have put up with this **** for this long. If at any point change would have occurred earlier Mcdavid/Chiarelli very likely would not be here. It's been a hard road especially for those that bleed copper and blue but there may have been a point to all this when all said and done.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
This season keeps screaming act of God to me. I for one see the benefit of Chiarelli, Mclellan and Mcdavid seeing this team in the dumpster one last time. It allows Chia to evaluate the team in a way only these injuries will allow (what that means only time will tell). It allows Mclellan to get a glimps what it must have been like for Hall, Ebs and Nuge to play under those circumstances for 5 years and see which ones want to be here. It gives Mcdavid the chance to play for a bottom dwelling team and grow through all the pressures and challenges. It also allows for one more high draft pick if they use it or trade it doesn't matter but if it ends up being Laine all the Oil Bashing from the last decade will have Karma ***** hands all over it.

The other night against San Jose when the fans were actually cheering on the Oil down 3-0 with 6min left in the 3rd reminded me how important Edm fan base is. I bet there are MABEY 2 other fan bases in the league that would have put up with this **** for this long. If at any point change would have occurred earlier Mcdavid/Chiarelli very likely would not be here. It's been a hard road especially for those that bleed copper and blue but there may have been a point to all this when all said and done.

That in and of itself is the most telling thing this season. The last few years it would be crickets for the entire game after the opening faceoff unless there was a goal scored. That the fans are actually cheering shows the difference in the team play, even with the bad defence and the losing record.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Top 6 lines shuffled and will be:

Hall - McDavid - Kassian
Maroon - Draisaitl - Eberle

I was thinking "oh god, we already know Hall and McDavid don't work together". But actually throwing Kassian on that RW makes it look a lot more balanced as a unit.

Also I'm liking the second line. Eberle with two big bodies, gives him a chance to control the game. I actually like the idea of him with Draisaitl more than McDavid.

Once again Yakupov gets the shaft in terms of linemates at the moment, but with RNH back soon that could be a nice duo.

Yakupov-RNH-Pakarinen/Korpikoski/Lander
Hendricks-Letestu-Cranknell

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Kudos to those with the mental strength to sit through a Wild game. I'll be passing on this one tonight.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Sorry for not responding to everyone asking to come over and watch my paint dry. I watched some oilers highlights and fell asleep.

It's actually Lead based paint because ever since becoming an oiler fan, I don't like to watch things unless it hurts me somehow.

Everyones invited, but the beer is warm, to simulate the bad taste the oilers leave in my mouth.

Cheers!!

hmmm as a post secondary student ill take any type of beer, well except bud

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That in and of itself is the most telling thing this season. The last few years it would be crickets for the entire game after the opening faceoff unless there was a goal scored. That the fans are actually cheering shows the difference in the team play, even with the bad defence and the losing record.

Well I think with them seeing guys like Schultz and Purcell gone who seemed to care at all or ever give much effort, the fans are willing to show their support. The guys are working harder, we have added size and physicality, and the teams standing up for each other. Our fans will support the team even through the lack of ability that we have with all the injuries and the fact that we simply need some better D on this club, as long as they give the effort they've been giving of late.

I also agree finishing in a spot to get a high pick this year isn't the worst possible thing as it gives us a piece to hopefully either trade for a dman, or to use to pick one of the big finns and move out other guys who just don't fit anymore. I don't see any reason why this team won't be on the upswing after this season if Chia brings in a couple good competent D this offseason.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Kudos to those with the mental strength to sit through a Wild game. I'll be passing on this one tonight.

Only the power of beer could make me watch this one.

I am curious to find out how this game will be lost. They've managed so many flavors this year.

It's gotta be death by horrible defence though you'd think. But that's too easy.

I'll guess death by deflections. Haven't had that since Tampa. 2 or 3 fluky/Silly deflections should do it.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

I'm going to give the first period a try and see from there....

May require some alcohol intake though, haven't decided yet.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Oh we have a chance against Kuemper.

Not the rookie, though.

So are we getting Nikki instead of Nurse?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Only the power of beer could make me watch this one.

I am curious to find out how this game will be lost. They've managed so many flavors this year.

It's gotta be death by horrible defence though you'd think. But that's too easy.

I'll guess death by deflections. Haven't had that since Tampa. 2 or 3 fluky/Silly deflections should do it.

It would be loss by extreme boredom. Wild fans like to insist that their team is secretly exciting and it's just our team sucking that causes our hatred for Wild/Oilers games, but we're pretty used to seeing our team losing over the past decade. Games against other teams, even when we lose, still seem like entertainment. Games against the wild are just boring from the puck drop. Even when I try to sit through one I find myself putting something else on to watch on another screen and muting the game.

Good luck to the Oilers, I hope they win. But I will be doing other stuff tonight.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
It would be loss by extreme boredom. Wild fans like to insist that their team is secretly exciting and it's just our team sucking that causes our hatred for Wild/Oilers games, but we're pretty used to seeing our team losing over the past decade. Games against other teams, even when we lose, still seem like entertainment. Games against the wild are just boring from the puck drop. Even when I try to sit through one I find myself putting something else on to watch on another screen and muting the game.

Good luck to the Oilers, I hope they win. But I will be doing other stuff tonight.

Funny you should write that. Just had a peek at their GDT and they're already proclaiming as such.

Completely agree with the rest of your post. Wild games are trash.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Funny you should write that. Just had a peek at their GDT and they're already proclaiming as such.

Completely agree with the rest of your post. Wild games are trash.

They say the same thing every time we play them. That we just can't recognize entertaining hockey. Frankly, I think their fans have just been conditioned by years of Wild play to see what they do as exciting.

To each their own. I'm sure they will enjoy watching the game. I will enjoy doing anything but.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Totally agree with this. This season the team has fought through a ton of adversity, new additions and coaching staff, the insanely bad injury luck and some questionable officiating (I try to be unbiased as I know it's a league wide problem but the Oilers seem to get more then their fair share, especially in coaches challenges, the only thing that seems to be consistent about those reviews is that they go against the Oilers.)

But through all the adversity this team has improved and while people who just look at the standings will still point and laugh and say same old Oilers, the people who actually watch the games know there has been improvement.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I don't think they have any Ex-Oilers or rookies that haven't scored an NHL goal in the lineup, so we've got that going for us which is nice.

whoa not so quick, do they have anyone that hasnt scored in 30+ games cause we get hit with that too.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
They say the same thing every time we play them. That we just can't recognize entertaining hockey. Frankly, I think their fans have just been conditioned by years of Wild play to see what they do as exciting.

To each their own. I'm sure they will enjoy watching the game. I will enjoy doing anything but.

That's definitely part of it. I would think the other part of it, is not wanting to admit your team is boring.

Hilarious that they think we don't know what entertaining hockey is. Trust us, we know when we are boring, and terrible, and we know what's exciting too. It's pretty damn basic.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That's definitely part of it. I would think the other part of it, is not wanting to admit your team is boring.

Hilarious that they think we don't know what entertaining hockey is. Trust us, we know when we are boring, and terrible, and we know what's exciting too. It's pretty damn basic.

We know what boring hockey is, we used it to dominate the rest of the world at the Olympics :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad