GDT: Threepeat contenders @ just happy to get some Ovechkin goals and two games of playoff revenue, 7:37pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Well if you like unpredictability then Sammy's your guy.

I've never played goalie in hockey but generally in any sport if you're frequently diving to make plays then you're probably out of position to begin with, or lacking fundamentals. Rarely is it just an amazing play.

Totally agree. He often appears to do something overly athletic when it isn't called for, like a showy NFL receiver jumping for a catch they could grab with both feet planted, giving up YAC just to look cooler. And conversely, like on last night's stickless goal, sometimes he just freezes when the slightest twitch would yield a save on a seemingly easy shot. It's like he lacks that middle gear, either doing too much or too little.

Reactions: RedRocking and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Totally agree. He often appears to do something overly athletic when it isn't called for, like a showy NFL receiver jumping for a catch they could grab with both feet planted, giving up YAC just to look cooler. And conversely, like on last night's stickless goal, sometimes he just freezes when the slightest twitch would yield a save on a seemingly easy shot. It's like he lacks that middle gear, either doing too much or too little.

I was also thinking of the outfielder in baseball who times his run on a fly ball just to be able to make the diving catch. Or who is playing too deep for a scouting report and has to sprint in for a blooper instead of casually standing under it.

When you're always looking to make the big diving move you can also be feinted out of position, or maybe prone to overcommitting. I think that's one reason he gets caught out of the net so much. Even if he makes the first save with some kind of lunge or push he might be too far away from the crease to deal with the rebound.

I think it stems from being naturally aggressive. In a philosophical sense he wants to attack the puck as much or more than he wants to defend the net.

Reactions: RedRocking and Jags

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Couldn't agree more. Having that kind of athleticism is nice, but it's like he wants to play like Hasek, just without the rebound control. That's a horrible formula. ;)

Reactions: g00n

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
If CmC wasn't getting chances, I'd be worried. I love his defensive play (for a rook), I agree with the high hockey IQ, and I think he'll hit 20 goals a few times in his career. If* he turns into Philip Danault, for example, that's a win.

* = terms and conditions apply.

Meh, chances are nice but dude needs to capitalize more often.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Nice to see the guys still have an extra gear when things get tough.

Solid 2 pts, Carlson welcome to the 2nd half of the season.

yeah Carlson looked mostly like a legit 1D last night. great game.

At the same that this merely reinforces the appearance that he's not giving a complete effort all the time.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If CmC wasn't getting chances, I'd be worried. I love his defensive play (for a rook), I agree with the high hockey IQ, and I think he'll hit 20 goals a few times in his career. If* he turns into Philip Danault, for example, that's a win.

* = terms and conditions apply.
I sure as heck hope he’s much better than a 29 yr old who just hit 20g for the first time ever and so far has hit 50pts once in 8 tries…

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Couldn't agree more. Having that kind of athleticism is nice, but it's like he wants to play like Hasek, just without the rebound control. That's a horrible formula. ;)
I really worry (and kinda think) this is just who he is, and a coach isn’t going to fix him - at least not here, anytime soon. If his shortcomings and poor fundamentals seem obvious to a guy watching home, like me, then Scott Murray must be aware too. So, I think it’s a bit much to imply that our coaches aren’t trying to fix him.

It seems to me he is just slow to react, and is poor at reading plays. Guys get clean looks from the slot or top of the circle, and if it’s going back across his body, Sammy just can’t track the puck. And it is even worse in traffic, like last night’s 3rd goal at the end. He didn’t even read that play until the puck beat him - the TNT guys even pointed it out.

And he definitely overcommits to the first save, whether it’s because he’s out of position or the points made above about attacking or looking cool. Then once he’s flopped, he kinda gives up on the play, and is slow to re-establish position.

Anyways, that’s a long way of saying - I hope VV plays well down the stretch, and is the starter for G1.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I really worry (and kinda think) this is just who he is, and a coach isn’t going to fix him - at least not here, anytime soon. If his shortcomings and poor fundamentals seem obvious to a guy watching home, like me, then Scott Murray must be aware too. So, I think it’s a bit much to imply that our coaches aren’t trying to fix him.

It seems to me he is just slow to react, and is poor at reading plays. Guys get clean looks from the slot or top of the circle, and if it’s going back across his body, Sammy just can’t track the puck. And it is even worse in traffic, like last night’s 3rd goal at the end. He didn’t even read that play until the puck beat him - the TNT guys even pointed it out.

And he definitely overcommits to the first save, whether it’s because he’s out of position or the points made above about attacking or looking cool. Then once he’s flopped, he kinda gives up on the play, and is slow to re-establish position.

Anyways, that’s a long way of saying - I hope VV plays well down the stretch, and is the starter for G1.
Not if we get the VV we just saw against the Canes and Wild!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well if you like unpredictability then Sammy's your guy.

I've never played goalie in hockey but generally in any sport if you're frequently diving to make plays then you're probably out of position to begin with, or lacking fundamentals. Rarely is it just an amazing play.

I would say great goalies stop most of the easy pucks almost without thinking (~80% of shots), make the hard saves look easy (~10%), and throw in the occasional highlight reel move (~2-3%). Softies happen but are rare (~2-3% at most), and sometimes they just get beaten by a better shot, a beautiful team goal, or simply bad luck (~4-6%).

With Sammy it seems like the routine stops are closer to 50%, which means 30% of the easy saves are made to look harder or blend in with the highlight reel stops, or turn into softies.

This screams out for coaching intervention. There are some bad habits that need to be broken, imo.
Samsonov basically the Derek Jeter of goaltending

• Haha
Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad