Confirmed with Link: Three-year, entry-level contract for Filip Mesar

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I had him ranked 9th OV on my list and from the post draft interview, Bobrov and the rest of the scouting staff made their homework on the kid.

I’ll admit to not knowing much about Mesar, other than his attributes mentioned in some scouting reports and potential as a top-6 forward.

Who would his play style be comparable to?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Personally having Mesar playing in the OHL is the right move.
If he is sent to the OHL as an 18 year old does this eliminate the ability to play him in Laval as a 19 year old? What is he crushes the OHL and he needs to move up the next season, can he be sent to Laval?

Reactions: DAChampion

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
While the AHL is a development league they still want to win and Mesar may not play on the PP or log 18 minutes a night.
I think Hughes alluded to that in his PC
Their prerogative but I always found the bigger the challenge the more improvement.

Reactions: Tyson

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I wish that Slafkovsky, Mesar, Mysak and Mailloux will play in Laval. And with Norlinder, Hillis, Heineman, Simoneau and Teasdale who are already there, I'll probably follow the Rocket more than Habs in the next season. And coming the Playoffs, Barron, Guhle, Roy, Kidney, Farrell, Hutson, Beck, Struble, Tuch and Kapanen will join in. That will be very exciting !
Don't agree with Mailloux. Barely played any hockey in two years. He needs the OHL.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Don't agree with Mailloux. Barely played any hockey in two years. He needs the OHL.
Right. I'm surprised to see this but he's played a grand total of 16 OHL games! He was pretty good in his 12 games last year but he needs to play a full season of hockey while being a dominating presence on the ice before he takes the next step.

I have high hopes for this kid, he has all the tools to be a very successful NHLer, but the whole COVID situation + his long term suspension slowed him down tons. At this point he just needs to play, not be challenged.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Their prerogative but I always found the bigger the challenge the more improvement.
I don't disagree. If he can handle it, let him play. Mysak only mustered 2 points in 20 some games last year in Laval. It's a bigger jump than many think.

Right. I'm surprised to see this but he's played a grand total of 16 OHL games! He was pretty good in his 12 games last year but he needs to play a full season of hockey while being a dominating presence on the ice before he takes the next step.

I have high hopes for this kid, he has all the tools to be a very successful NHLer, but the whole COVID situation + his long term suspension slowed him down tons. At this point he just needs to play, not be challenged.
He still has time to develop but it may take 2 full years in Laval down the road

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I’ll admit to not knowing much about Mesar, other than his attributes mentioned in some scouting reports and potential as a top-6 forward.

Who would his play style be comparable to?
I mentioned in the Mesar thread that he reminded me of Seth Jarvis. Very fast, skilled and shifty.

From my own list:

9-Filip Mesar LW

Deceptively fast and talended, Mesar plays a high paced game and can make high level plays at top speed. He is pretty shifty, has great edges and his feet always moving. Kid can turn on a dime and change direction with baffling ease, what makes him highly imprevisible and tough to defend. Has a high compete and is highly combative.

Projection top 6 forward

Aom9

Jul 14, 2022
Radek Bonk
I mentioned in the Mesar thread that he reminded me of Seth Jarvis. Very fast, skilled and shifty.

From my own list:

9-Filip Mesar LW

Deceptively fast and talended, Mesar plays a high paced game and can make high level plays at top speed. He is pretty shifty, has great edges and his feet always moving. Kid can turn on a dime and change direction with baffling ease, what makes him highly imprevisible and tough to defend. Has a high compete and is highly combative.

Projection top 6 forward
So Tatar with a better motor? I'll take that

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't disagree. If he can handle it, let him play. Mysak only mustered 2 points in 20 some games last year in Laval. It's a bigger jump than many think.

He still has time to develop but it may take 2 full years in Laval down the road
I concur. I do notice a smidgen of naivety at times.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's also starting from scratch though.
Years ago, I met Vince Carter at his condo, when he was first drafted by the Raptors. He had a couple of couches, a huge flat screen tv (video games) and that was about it. Barely had any dishes and no pots and pans. He also had his mom living in a condo upstairs, who cooked for him.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Slovak here. I think OHL is a step down for Mesar development wise having already played a season of mens pro hockey in Europe. Laval seems the logical choice.

AHL is way more of a physical league than where he played, even if he played against men.

AHL is way too physical for him at the moment and won’t develop properly out there right now. He’s only 18 after all and need to get stronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad