OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I went to Old Forge NY to watch the eclipse and stayed the night then went over to Manchester VT the next day through back roads all to avoid the traffic. It was nice...but the towns up there weren't ready for the onslaught of people they got. Restaurants were running out of food and closing early even the next day in Vermont... I was shocked Manchester was so ill prepared.
My family had a condo in Manchester when I was younger. At the Equinox course. It was a fun little town. I’d live there year round if it was feasible for me.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My family had a condo in Manchester when I was younger. At the Equinox course. It was a fun little town. I’d live there year round if it was feasible for me.
Awesome.

And Orvis didn't get you into fly fishing? You spent summers at the home of Charles F. Orvis on the hallowed banks of the Battenkill River and weren't transformed?

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Awesome.

And Orvis didn't get you into fly fishing? You spent summers at the home of Charles F. Orvis on the hallowed banks of the Battenkill River and weren't transformed?
No I used to play golf and we’d go grass skiing. Easily the most dangerous sport I ever participated in. We had a tributary of the battenkill down the hill behind the condo. It was peaceful and beautiful but fishing was never my thing. I used to love hiking and spotting wildlife so maybe I could have gotten into hunting but I never had the urge to practice marksmanship. My dad was apparently a good shot but he never showed any passion for teaching that to me or my brothers.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here is a window in the Orvis store in Manchester... it's like church :)

Truth be told I was a little disappointed in my visit to the Orvis store this time...I have been there probably a dozen times before but this time it felt more mainstream retail than fly fishing....their lack of fly tying materials was the real shocker...tying materials are what brings the hardcore in. Perhaps a strategic decision? Anyway still a cool place.

IMG_20240409_145324906_HDR.jpg

My3Sons

Sponsor
Here is a window in the Orvis store in Manchester... it's like church :)

Truth be told I was a little disappointed in my visit to the Orvis store this time...I have been there probably a dozen times before but this time it felt more mainstream retail than fly fishing....their lack of fly tying materials was the real shocker...tying materials are what brings the hardcore in. Perhaps a strategic decision? Anyway still a cool place.

View attachment 850999
In the old days they had a couple of great ski wear shops there. Going up after the season you could get that stuff dirt cheap. I once got top of thr line Elans that the then Olympic gold medalist had used in the Olympics but I should have gotten the Volkl skis. I didn’t think it through well enough. There was also a Timberland factory store that had stuff from prior seasons that was cheap for boots and winter clothes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In the old days they had a couple of great ski wear shops there. Going up after the season you could get that stuff dirt cheap. I once got top of thr line Elans that the then Olympic gold medalist had used in the Olympics but I should have gotten the Volkl skis. I didn’t think it through well enough. There was also a Timberland factory store that had stuff from prior seasons that was cheap for boots and winter clothes.
All those towns up there used to have those ski shops...I used to stop in them all over New Hampshire and Vermont.

My wife still has and wears a Patagonia pullover she picked while we were driving around NH from a sale rack of a ski shop in 1987. In fact she put it on during the eclipse when the temperature dropped. It's still in perfect shape too.

Edit: she just corrected me and said it was 1990. :laugh:

Reactions: My3Sons

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Hey everyone,

The following is a half vent and half call for help post.

A year ago I got laid off from my job as a director at a financial marketing agency due to the banking crisis. I thought that this would be possibly 3 to 6 month thing but a year later here I am, still not fully employed.

As the season went on, my emotional attachment to the team and the way they were playing really became maddening, saddening and frustrating. I started to realize that I was using the team as an escape from my real life so the highs were super high and lows were super low. When they lost to Buffalo a few weeks ago I had to say this is it for me, I can’t do this anymore. this season.

Although my living expenses are not too bad, and I have no one depending on me, plus luckily my car is paid off, but a year later things are getting more difficult week by week. I have been relying on the food service industry for part-time work and unemployment benefits, but the food service work hasn’t been reliable and now my unemployment benefits ended.

And a year later, all I have to show so far is:
  • over 200 jobs applied to and only two interviews
  • both those interviews came from networking
  • 0 interviews from job applied to
  • I’ve edited reformatted my résumé countless of times
  • I have an archive of over 150 job rejections
  • hired one résumé writer that turned out to be a scam, but luckily it wasn’t a big monetarily investment hired another résumé writer that was a disaster but luckily I was fully refunded
  • I’m now using it this software/website for the past two months — Hunter.io to help with fighting AI with AI but all I’ve gotten is more rejection letters and no callbacks so far
One of the reasons why I come to this forum is not only for all the smart NHL and Devils banter but also because you are a great group of posters. There are so many smart people here and I find myself every time I come here learning either something new about hockey, life, hobbies, entertainment or even a new vocabulary word or two.

So, I come to you all now for any help, advice anything that could help would be appreciated. The last couple months have been difficult on my mental health. Luckily, I started talking to a therapist, but that’s only part of the solution.

My background, career and résumé in a nutshell:
  • Polyglot, whose fluent in three languages and conversational in multiple others
  • 10 years in marketing, mostly in retail, CPG, food and beverage, but the last few years in banking and financial
  • Located in NNJ just outside of Manhattan
But in all honesty right now, I’m open to anything that will bring me some stability. I’m open to ideas, suggestions, potential avenues for career changes. Honestly open to anything everything besides education and probably sales.

I’m actually going to be at the rock on Monday because before the game there is a job fair with the Devils, Islanders, 76ers and Yankees and the entry fee includes a ticket to the game. To be honest, I almost wanted to give up the ticket to the game but with a chance to get a Timo Time bobble head I decided I’ll go😁

I don’t want to gum up this thread with this conversation so please feel free to DM me.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hey everyone,

A year ago I got laid off from my job as a director at a financial marketing agency due to the banking crisis. I thought that this would be possibly 3 to 6 month thing but a year later here I am, still not fully employed.

As the season went on, my emotional attachment to the team and the way they were playing really became maddening, saddening and frustrating. I started to realize that I was using the team as an escape from my real life so the highs were super high and lows were super low. When they lost to Buffalo a few weeks ago I had to say this is it for me, I can’t do this anymore. this season.

Although my living expenses are not too bad, and I have no one depending on me, plus luckily my car is paid off, but a year later things are getting more difficult week by week. I have been relying on the food service industry for part-time work and unemployment benefits, but the food service work hasn’t been reliable and now my unemployment benefits ended.

• hired one résumé writer that turned out to be a scam, but luckily it wasn’t a big monetarily investment hired another résumé writer that was a disaster but luckily I was fully refunded
  • I’m now using it this software/website for the past two months — Hunter.io to help with fighting AI with AI but all I’ve gotten is more rejection letters and no callbacks so far
One of the reasons why I come to this forum is not only for all the smart NHL and Devils banter but also because you are a great group of posters. There are so many smart people here and I find myself every time I come here learning either something new about hockey, life, hobbies, entertainment or even a new vocabulary word or two.

So, I come to you all now for any help, advice anything that could help would be appreciated. The last couple months have been difficult on my mental health. Luckily, I started talking to a therapist, but that’s only part of the solution.

• Polyglot, whose fluent in three languages and conversational in multiple others
  • 10 years in marketing, mostly in retail, CPG, food and beverage, but the last few years in banking and financial
But in all honesty right now, I’m open to anything that will bring me some stability. I’m open to ideas, suggestions, potential avenues for career changes. Honestly open to anything everything besides education and probably sales.

I’m actually going to be at the rock on Monday because before the game there is a job fair with the Devils, Islanders, 76ers and Yankees and the entry fee includes a ticket to the game. To be honest, I almost wanted to give up the ticket to the game but with a chance to get a Timo Time bobble head I decided I’ll go😁

I don’t want to gum up this thread with this conversation so please feel free to DM me.

Thank you in advance.
Sorry to hear about the hardships man. I will look for any openings at the consultant firm I work in. If I see anything remotely relevant I will DM you and can put in a referral.

Keep your chin up!

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance.

sorry to hear that.

personally, i have zero experience in any of the things you mentioned. i've always worked doing jobs that involve using my hands or whatnot.....worked in a CNC shop in my late teens,....UPS 23 years ago, did other delivery jobs.....eventually hung off of swing stages doing restorations on high rise buildings until late 2017 when i got my annual three month winter layoff. decided to not go back in the spring and worked doing residential renos with a friend for 6 years until now (still do some work with him on off days for cash).......since late january i started working in the waste water industry installing sensors under manhole covers and doing repairs to sewers by climbing into them.... it's great money, hours are not 9-5 which i love and get to travel... going to ottawa for two days on monday morning to do 5 installs. easy stuff.

what i'm getting at is maybe try something outside of what you've done and not necessarily in the business world. you might enjoy it.

good luck

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance.

Sorry to hear about your struggles with finding a new job. The application treadmill is the worst. I’ve been there before and I remember how awful it felt.

I work for an insurance company which has some operations in northern NJ. Happy to take a look at your resume and refer you for anything that might be a fit.

I’ll DM you later tonight.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
on the topic of resumes.

i didn't mention

....after i declined to go back to work for the old company in the spring of '18 after layoff i said to myself... whatever happens in the future i will never write another f***ing resume in my life. (not that i got that job writing one)

people judging you off of a piece of paper. @Its Always Sundstrom, that 200 to 0 ratio is disgusting. people at least deserve a face to face meeting/interview.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance.
i have not much life advice or experience when it comes to this. In fact, my dad would tell you I've never worked in my life if you ever talked to him.

But I'm more than willing to be an ear (or eye) if you're ever wanted to talk. We've shared some messages over the years. I even confided in you once when the worthless side of my family who I can't believe haven't died off yet wanted me to show up in court and lie for them to prove my loyalty and devotion to them. You're one of the several people I've regularly DM'd with over the years here and you've always lent a fine hand when I've needed photoshop help as well.

So I wish you the best of luck and hoping your luck certainly turns. Without being overly generic, I feel like that's something people just to say.

But hoping for better things for you and like I said, my PMs are always open. :nod:

My3Sons

Sponsor
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance.
I’ve been away from the area for so long that I can’t offer anything to help but like all I want you back to work quickly. You might have to grab a spot as a waiter or bartender in the short term. Hang in there and stay active with something while you are looking

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This isn't something I'm necessarily recommending, but I know some people who drive for Uber, but it seems a bit not so worth it. Not to mention that you're using your own vehicle while working for someone else. The company vehicle is your own personal vehicle.

One of the people I know who does it is almost 80 years old and does it just to supplement his social security check. He's a guy that lives in my neighborhood.

He mostly just works in the morning and is done for the day by 11:30 or so, but sometimes gets a long ride and will work well past that. He never works on Friday night/Saturday morning or Saturday night/Sunday morning for the weekend bar crowd, which seems to be the time to get a lot of rides. He's in bed by then.

He also gives people rides to the airport which he does for himself, usually for people he's met doing Uber/Lyft and giving them business cards. He makes more money on his own rides than he will on rides he gets from Uber.

I wouldn't do it. I've got a couple of high mileage beauties. I probably make at least as much money (which isn't a whole lot) doing what I do than working full time doing Uber. I just have to drive to work and home, and that's it. This guy only drives for roughly half a work day and puts about 30k-40k miles on his car per year. And he don't really put many of those miles on it doing anything other than the Uber/airport rides he does for himself.

In fact, he just had a 2018 Corolla that he bought brand new and it had I think 245k miles on it, when it was totaled in an accident just a couple of months ago. He got a 2023 Corolla with like 27k miles on it, but I'm sure it's got close to 40k by now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
@Its Always Sundstrom

I wish I could help but if I were looking I wouldn't be sending out resumes...I would be contacting headhunters and consulting companies.

Also Temp agencies are a great way to get your foot in the door.

When I was at J&J we would use Kelly Services for short term projects. I've seen plenty of those short term gigs turn into long-term and even permanent positions.

I'm most familiar with technical recruiters but staffing companies like Robert Half handle all kinds of positions. I would contact some of these staffing agencies and consulting firms...get to a point where they are calling you about opportunities and you are not sending out 100's of resumes.

I'd start with Kelly and Robert Half... Google staffing agencies and consulting firms. See if you can talk to a couple of recruiters... I bet you'll get a lot more traction than sending out tons of resumes.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance.
After some action in the world my job life is full of ups and downs. So I really feel for you. I wish I could help because in some moments such a simple thing as a smile or like were small but very warm thing for me. So I truly think that such a nice person as you will have nice present from the universe.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Sorry to hear about the hardships man. I will look for any openings at the consultant firm I work in. If I see anything remotely relevant I will DM you and can put in a referral.

Keep your chin up!

sorry to hear that.

personally, i have zero experience in any of the things you mentioned. i've always worked doing jobs that involve using my hands or whatnot.....worked in a CNC shop in my late teens,....UPS 23 years ago, did other delivery jobs.....eventually hung off of swing stages doing restorations on high rise buildings until late 2017 when i got my annual three month winter layoff. decided to not go back in the spring and worked doing residential renos with a friend for 6 years until now (still do some work with him on off days for cash).......since late january i started working in the waste water industry installing sensors under manhole covers and doing repairs to sewers by climbing into them.... it's great money, hours are not 9-5 which i love and get to travel... going to ottawa for two days on monday morning to do 5 installs. easy stuff.

what i'm getting at is maybe try something outside of what you've done and not necessarily in the business world. you might enjoy it.

good luck

on the topic of resumes.

i didn't mention

....after i declined to go back to work for the old company in the spring of '18 after layoff i said to myself... whatever happens in the future i will never write another f***ing resume in my life. (not that i got that job writing one)

people judging you off of a piece of paper. @Its Always Sundstrom, that 200 to 0 ratio is disgusting. people at least deserve a face to face meeting/interview.

i have not much life advice or experience when it comes to this. In fact, my dad would tell you I've never worked in my life if you ever talked to him.

But I'm more than willing to be an ear (or eye) if you're ever wanted to talk. We've shared some messages over the years. I even confided in you once when the worthless side of my family who I can't believe haven't died off yet wanted me to show up in court and lie for them to prove my loyalty and devotion to them. You're one of the several people I've regularly DM'd with over the years here and you've always lent a fine hand when I've needed photoshop help as well.

So I wish you the best of luck and hoping your luck certainly turns. Without being overly generic, I feel like that's something people just to say.

But hoping for better things for you and like I said, my PMs are always open. :nod:

I’ve been away from the area for so long that I can’t offer anything to help but like all I want you back to work quickly. You might have to grab a spot as a waiter or bartender in the short term. Hang in there and stay active with something while you are looking
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. It’s very much appreciated.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing waitering and bartending but thank you.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
This isn't something I'm necessarily recommending, but I know some people who drive for Uber, but it seems a bit not so worth it. Not to mention that you're using your own vehicle while working for someone else. The company vehicle is your own personal vehicle.

One of the people I know who does it is almost 80 years old and does it just to supplement his social security check. He's a guy that lives in my neighborhood.

He mostly just works in the morning and is done for the day by 11:30 or so, but sometimes gets a long ride and will work well past that. He never works on Friday night/Saturday morning or Saturday night/Sunday morning for the weekend bar crowd, which seems to be the time to get a lot of rides. He's in bed by then.

He also gives people rides to the airport which he does for himself, usually for people he's met doing Uber/Lyft and giving them business cards. He makes more money on his own rides than he will on rides he gets from Uber.

I wouldn't do it. I've got a couple of high mileage beauties. I probably make at least as much money (which isn't a whole lot) doing what I do than working full time doing Uber. I just have to drive to work and home, and that's it. This guy only drives for roughly half a work day and puts about 30k-40k miles on his car per year. And he don't really put many of those miles on it doing anything other than the Uber/airport rides he does for himself.

In fact, he just had a 2018 Corolla that he bought brand new and it had I think 245k miles on it, when it was totaled in an accident just a couple of months ago. He got a 2023 Corolla with like 27k miles on it, but I'm sure it's got close to 40k by now.
I did Lyft for a bit a few years ago in between gigs but I found not to be sustainable. But thanks for the suggestion.

@Its Always Sundstrom

I wish I could help but if I were looking I wouldn't be sending out resumes...I would be contacting headhunters and consulting companies.

When I was at J&J we would use Kelly Services for short term projects. I've seen plenty of those short term gigs turn into long-term and even permanent positions.

I'm most familiar with technical recruiters but staffing companies like Robert Half handle all kinds of positions. I would contact some of these staffing agencies and consulting firms...get to a point where they are calling you about opportunities and you are not sending out 100's of resumes.

I'd start with Kelly and Robert Half... Google staffing agencies and consulting firms. See if you can talk to a couple of recruiters... I bet you'll get a lot more traction than sending out tons of resumes.
Thanks. I’ve been talking to headhunters and temp agencies too but they seem to be dying breed or at least evolving from what they were 20 years ago. I’ve talked to Robert Half but nothing is come from them. I’ll look up Kelly Sevices. Thanks!

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
sorry to hear that.

good luck
You know, I’ve really been thinking about this a lot recently. I’m very handy, good with tools and a fellow musician. Just not sure what direction to go in.

Reactions: Bleedred

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
@Its Always Sundstrom

Second this, connecting with recruiters will allow them to advocate for your resume vs you sending it out into the void.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

As someone who absolutely hates being in an Uber or Lyft unless I have absolutely no other choice I'd rather walk than get into a car with an almost 80 year old driver.

Some of the ones I've been in have been some of the worst drivers I've ever experienced, had one almost miss an exit and instead of driving to the next one and circling back almost drove us straight into the divider and so many other people who want to tell me their whole f***ing life story after I just landed from the airport when all I wanna hear is silence.

I know NYC is introducing this congestion toll pricing where like anything from 61st street and down is going to have to pay a toll to enter the area but I'd much rather see them get rid of all these car service apps instead.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
im really drunk and making a pot of chili for the next while... a big tree was cut today ... the roots were heaving with the wind....it had to come down

i want another beverage. tomorrow is tree day. and no go no where but to outside and fridge or kitchen bar.

and a sunny day of 83 deg.

and drinks

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i cut my thumb with a knife at sunset bundling tree fall... its patched up fine but it feels really weird having to drink right handed this evening.
I was cutting boxes the other day to go out for recycling and I got the worst paper cut... right at the base of my thumb where it meetss the palm it's almost 180 degrees around the thumb...you don't realize how much you use that area of your hand until you have a tiny cut and everything that touches it stings like a SOB... can't really put a band-aid on that spot either.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I was cutting boxes the other day to go out for recycling and I got the worst paper cut... right at the base of my thumb where it meetss the palm it's almost 180 degrees around the thumb...you don't realize how much you use that area of your hand until you have a tiny cut and everything that touches it stings like a SOB... can't really put a band-aid on that spot either.

had to get stitches on my left index finger a couple of years ago and man the pain when the nurse stuck the freezing needles into the end of the finger....holy shit!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad