OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Well, I'm only going back in for the one day tomorrow, to record a webinar. The company is currently doing a pilot program for people to come back in 3 days/remote 2 days, but I passed on being part of that so I'm still full remote for now.

And then with my son due to be born around Thanksgiving, I've been saving my PTO to take all of December off. I also told my boss that I will continue to be full remote until my kid starts going to daycare in late March. So it's entirely possible that I will have been physically back in my office for just one day in over two years. Wild.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well, I'm only going back in for the one day tomorrow, to record a webinar. The company is currently doing a pilot program for people to come back in 3 days/remote 2 days, but I passed on being part of that so I'm still full remote for now.

And then with my son due to be born around Thanksgiving, I've been saving my PTO to take all of December off. I also told my boss that I will continue to be full remote until my kid starts going to daycare in late March. So it's entirely possible that I will have been physically back in my office for just one day in over two years. Wild.

Oh Congratulations! Wishing him health and all the happiness in the World :nod:

I love babies...Just don't like people :laugh:

Reactions: Saugus

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Oh Congratulations! Wishing him health and all the happiness in the World :nod:

I love babies...Just don't like people :laugh:

Thanks Jim. My wife and I are looking forward to becoming parents, but also a little apprehensive. We think we're as prepared as is reasonably possible, but nobody can ever predict what happens. Babies have a way of disrupting your best-laid plans.

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thanks Jim. My wife and I are looking forward to becoming parents, but also a little apprehensive. We think we're as prepared as is reasonably possible, but nobody can ever predict what happens. Babies have a way of disrupting your best-laid plans.

You have a number of soon to be or relatively new parents in the assembly of posters here. You might consider a new/young parents thread? I’d make a compelling argument it should not be lumped in with the TaN. Parenting is about as far from nothing as you can get. Best of luck and please know that if you make an effort you will do great and be rewarded. Be kind to your children and teach them with patience. Emphasize reading and music and art as much as you can and of course plenty of imaginative play when they are young. The first year just be happy with singing and close physical contact and basic baby play. I’ve got faith in you.

Reactions: Saugus

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
You have a number of soon to be or relatively new parents in the assembly of posters here. You might consider a new/young parents thread? I’d make a compelling argument it should not be lumped in with the TaN. Parenting is about as far from nothing as you can get. Best of luck and please know that if you make an effort you will do great and be rewarded. Be kind to your children and teach them with patience. Emphasize reading and music and art as much as you can and of course plenty of imaginative play when they are young. The first year just be happy with singing and close physical contact and basic baby play. I’ve got faith in you.

I think it would be strange to have a parenting thread on a hockey forum. That's what Reddit is for. :laugh:

I appreciate the best wishes. And we're definitely going to be emphasizing reading and math early on. The nursery is space/astronomy themed. My boy is going to be a giant nerd whether he likes it or not.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think it would be strange to have a parenting thread on a hockey forum. That's what Reddit is for. :laugh:

I appreciate the best wishes. And we're definitely going to be emphasizing reading and math early on. The nursery is space/astronomy themed. My boy is going to be a giant nerd whether he likes it or not.

You know it is going to be a boy?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yes, we had no interest in being surprised or doing a gender reveal. We've known for a while, since the genetic screening test they did at 12 weeks.

Best of luck. When my oldest was three and we were about to have our second child we asked him what to name the baby. He said "Tuna". We asked if that was for a boy or a girl. He said for a boy. We asked what we should name the baby if it was a girl. He said "Kleena". As far as I know his suggested names are still available if you cannot decide.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Best of luck. When my oldest was three and we were about to have our second child we asked him what to name the baby. He said "Tuna". We asked if that was for a boy or a girl. He said for a boy. We asked what we should name the baby if it was a girl. He said "Kleena". As far as I know his suggested names are still available if you cannot decide.
I bet Tuna is a great brother :)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

like gettng laid, right? :D

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm fortunate, all my kids have been wonderful. All three have a good relationship although they are all a bit apart in age which means they are separated socially. Come to fish down here and you can meet them. We'll go to Acme Oyster House for seafood, my treat.
That Acme place always has a crazy line. I went there once when it was just opening for the day at 11 or 12...had roasted oysters that were amazing and wanted to go back but every time I tried to go back there was a line a block long.

My two favorite places were Luke and Cochon.

My3Sons

Sponsor
That Acme place always has a crazy line. I went there once when it was just opening for the day at 11 or 12...had roasted oysters that were amazing and wanted to go back but every time I tried to go back there was a line a block long.

My two favorite places were Luke and Cochon.

You have to go out of your way to get a bad meal in the area. We could also go to Drago’s who invented the oyster recipe you tried or Pascal Manale who invented the local bbq shrimp recipe that isn’t bbq at all.

Reactions: JimEIV

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

:laugh: No, we are all set. We already have a name picked out for our little guy, but we haven't told anybody yet because we don't want to deal with others' opinions, positive or negative. My father-in-law keeps trying to see if he can catch me off guard to get me to spill, but he hasn't succeeded yet.

like gettng laid, right? :D

I am expecting that will become an issue after he is born, yes. Sleep deprivation and a needy baby are not great for romance. And of course she will need time to recover physically.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Second and final day of the audit complete. Sanity restored. Tomorrow begins preparation for next year's audit.

Reactions: JimEIV

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Second and final day of the audit complete. Sanity restored. Tomorrow begins preparation for next year's audit.

You sound like me as a kid on Christmas night as the high of unwrapping toys and having a day of eating Christmas foods with a large gathering of my family has ended… “Only 365 more days till Christmas…”

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
You sound like me as a kid on Christmas night as the high of unwrapping toys and having a day of eating Christmas foods with a large gathering of my family has ended… “Only 365 more days till Christmas…”

Or like the Irish bar near me that has a sign counting down to St Patrick's Day, which looks sad in late March. :laugh:

Reactions: Ripshot 43

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Day one of our audit done. One more day to go. Always a stressful time at work.
I don't mind Audits.

It means I don't have to work and get to sit in a conference room and answer questions all day :)

I have only been involved in technical audits. But they typically have focused on Security, Personal Privacy, Segregation of Duties and that sort of stuff...Most auditors have no idea about the nitty-gritty technical aspects so they essentially rely on Standard Operating Procedures documents that my team writes...and it basically comes down to are you doing what you say you are doing.

And they will always find something...Always! No matter how tight your documentation and processes are... Auditors will ALWAYS finds something to write about in their Final reports.

22 years of playing this game I have never gone through an audit without a "finding" - Some years they have written a "finding" with a corrective action plan only to call the very exact item that they recommended as "finding" in following years.

I used to get frustrated by it until I realized it is a great "make work" activity that gets a lot of attention from very high-level people.

If done right, it becomes a big "lets pat ourselves on the back" exercise that gets presented to higher ups in a nice neat report :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad