The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have a hard time coming up with targets or playing with lines until we get our matchup center.

Who is he, how far up the lineup will he be able to play, and what's his AAV and contract duration? Can we possibly get TWO bottom 6 centers?

Once these questions are answered, then we can start worrying about wingers. But I want to save cap space and trade assets for center, first and foremost, and then work with what's left to bring in a top 6 winger and bottom 6 winger.

I want to know what the vision is between the GM and coach. They could actually try a three offensively minded line lineup if they get the checking group down AND make sure that the "third" line isn't a bunch of dross like Jost and Vic and whoever they find laying around near the end of the bench on a given day.

I'm hoping the comments indicate a sea change for Adams but having seen multiple GM's make a comment only to follow up with minimal action over the last 15-ish years... we need to see it repeatedly before believing there is a change in philosophy.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I have a hard time coming up with targets or playing with lines until we get our matchup center.

Who is he, how far up the lineup will he be able to play, and what's his AAV and contract duration? Can we possibly get TWO bottom 6 centers?

Once these questions are answered, then we can start worrying about wingers. But I want to save cap space and trade assets for center, first and foremost, and then work with what's left to bring in a top 6 winger and bottom 6 winger.
This is my primary target as well. Will also need that 4C.
If they didn't already have Peterka/Quinn up and then the sea of smallish guys in the depth chart starting with Rosen whose most frequent comp since draft day is Ehlers, sure. I just can't see the path with Skinner on the team and the Ehler wannabes waiting in the wings to make that move.

Now, if say Skinner is gone and they decide to create some sort of matchup issue line where they are going to have a speed component rather than checking or physical play, maybe he would be a piece to something like that. I'm certainly not set on the idea of any of their returning top 6 being always together - Benson did good things for Cozens late, though Cozens also seemed to get himself moving. Peterka gave Thompson's line a missing element to back defenders off and create space behind him that Skinner's lack of quickness doesn't provide now. But then what is it that they want out of the next line over the boards? Ehlers-Krebs-____? And then of course what line is flipping the zone from d-to-o or creating forecheck?

Ehlers looks like he'd be a smart pickup for a team that knows what it is doing and that already has players in place to handle specific roles. I find it hard to imagine him coming to Buffalo with say Krebs and Skinner as his linemates and that being a line that would do things other than promote hair loss.
We need to move on from Krebs. He needs a fresh start. Thats where I want to invest my assets. If we buyout Skinner we can go big game hunting. The 6.5 on year 3 concerns me though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is my primary target as well. Will also need that 4C.

If only they had a guy who is good along the wall, pursues turned over pucks to strip guys of possession and turn the play quickly back in the other direction. Oh. Wait. Nevermind. :laugh: :cry:

We need to move on from Krebs. He needs a fresh start. Thats where I want to invest my assets. If we buyout Skinner we can go big game hunting. The 6.5 on year 3 concerns me though.

As the 4C with a couple of dedicated bangers, I wouldn't mind Krebs back. Up the lineup, I just don't see growth in his game right now to warrant him getting the 3C spot in a 3-offensive line rotation. At least not if Skinner is still around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Something that floats around in the back of my mind on days when I'm trapped in my car, dodging North Florida drivers: would they put their sacred giraffe on the block to change the complexion of the team?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Something that floats around in the back of my mind on days when I'm trapped in my car, dodging North Florida drivers: would they put their sacred giraffe on the block to change the complexion of the team?

I don't think so..tho I would.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If only they had a guy who is good along the wall, pursues turned over pucks to strip guys of possession and turn the play quickly back in the other direction. Oh. Wait. Nevermind. :laugh: :cry:

As the 4C with a couple of dedicated bangers, I wouldn't mind Krebs back. Up the lineup, I just don't see growth in his game right now to warrant him getting the 3C spot in a 3-offensive line rotation. At least not if Skinner is still around.
Ha! pretty much. Maybe he can carve out a role, but I would rather have the size.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I mean, look at Nashville and Arizona if we are looking at that route. They are big fish hunting

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It was a better idea before Adams moved Mitts.

What would the center depth look like , assuming no one with a better, younger center would want to move them for said sacred giraffe. How do they fill that hole in the lineup?

Thompson is far from an ideal 1C, but I just don't know if there would be an upgrade available. Any thoughts on a replacement if you did go that route?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I've thought about this a lot and ultimately don't think they need to. And with the friendly contract and lack of C depth, I don't think they'd want to either.

Just get me a 3C, 2LW, 4RW, and mid-pair RHD and this team is off to the races in a big way.

That's four spots, and none of them top 6 centers or top pairing defense. Two trades, two UFAs. Maybe one buyout of you need the cap space.

That's a lot of work but not extremely difficult work, nor is it unrealistic to expect KA to be able to get it done. He doesn't have to move any current roster players except Joki.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Anyone interested in Sean Monihan or Adam Henrique?

Would 2 x $4.5M get them here?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Anyone interested in Sean Monihan or Adam Henrique?

Would 2 x $4.5M get them here?

Monahan just had a 26 goal 59 point campaign and is only 29. Gotta think his agent is looking for something in the 6 range that is longer than 2 years. Knock on him that hurt his value was his inability to stay healthy, but he just played a full season without missing any games, so I think some GM bites.

Henrique just turned 34 and I bet he is looking for a 3 year deal at minimum as it may be his last contract(Although I could see him sign a one year deal with a cup favorite if he prioritizes winning over earnings.)

Either way, to get them to Buffalo, it will likely cost a premium.

Reactions: Jacob582

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ed Johnston making a "change the complexion of the team" trade in March 1991 led to a hole in my heart that will never heal and the grateful residents of North Carolina ending up with an NHL team. So yeah, that's an awful idea. Also how would you pull off such a trade when every vet in the league worth anything with a NTC has us listed 5 times just to drive the point home they don’t want to come here?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Doubtful. Would make the Mitts trade even more puzzling. I would do it yesterday but I doubt Adams would entertain the idea.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Monahan just had a 26 goal 59 point campaign and is only 29. Gotta think his agent is looking for something in the 6 range that is longer than 2 years. Knock on him that hurt his value was his inability to stay healthy, but he just played a full season without missing any games, so I think some GM bites.

Henrique just turned 34 and I bet he is looking for a 3 year deal at minimum as it may be his last contract(Although I could see him sign a one year deal with a cup favorite if he prioritizes winning over earnings.)

Either way, to get them to Buffalo, it will likely cost a premium.
I doubt Monihan will get a 6 year. Most likely 3, 4 or 5.

3 years for Henrique is right where it will probably fall.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think the reinforcement idea has merit, but I think I'd rather take a big swing at a player like Tkachuk, or someone like him, simply due to the incredible depth the Sabres have at forward.

There's no way that Adams finds spots for all the forwards in the organization, unless his plan is to just be a farm team for the rest of the NHL. Draft, develop, then trade once they hit a big contract point.

He's going to need to make a high-quality quantity for star player type of deal to make it all work.

Reactions: Dingo44

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I doubt Monihan will get a 6 year. Most likely 3, 4 or 5.

3 years for Henrique is right where it will probably fall.
Sorry, I meant 6M AAV. I think a desperate GM gives him something in the 6x3 neighborhood. The more years he gets, the lower the cost I would imagine. I would think for a 2 year deal his agent would ask for over 6.

26 goal center that is good in the faceoff circle and kills penalties - there should be a few interested teams that have some free cap.

Reactions: Jacob582

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think the reinforcement idea has merit, but I think I'd rather take a big swing at a player like Tkachuk, or someone like him, simply due to the incredible depth the Sabres have at forward.

There's no way that Adams finds spots for all the forwards in the organization, unless his plan is to just be a farm team for the rest of the NHL. Draft, develop, then trade once they hit a big contract point.

He's going to need to make a high-quality quantity for star player type of deal to make it all work.
Building through high-paid wingers is a path to failure. Unless Brady can play center, you’re just putting fancy rims on a car with no engine.

Sorry, I meant 6M AAV. I think a desperate GM gives him something in the 6x3 neighborhood. The more years he gets, the lower the cost I would imagine. I would think for a 2 year deal his agent would ask for over 6.

26 goal center that is good in the faceoff circle and kills penalties - there should be a few interested teams that have some free cap.
I honestly think Henrique would have a bigger impact on the team than Brady Tkachuk. If he wasn’t due to fall off a cliff any season now, I’d give him the moon.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was a better idea before Adams moved Mitts.

What would the center depth look like , assuming no one with a better, younger center would want to move them for said sacred giraffe. How do they fill that hole in the lineup?

Thompson is far from an ideal 1C, but I just don't know if there would be an upgrade available. Any thoughts on a replacement if you did go that route?

More a C-for-C move.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
More a C-for-C move.

I am not certain what that would actually look like.

I look around the league, and there aren't a lot of candidates available that teams would be willing to move that Buffalo should be interested in.

Guys I wouldn't touch due to age and contracts that would likely be available for TT:

Kadri
Sheifele
PLD
Couturier

I guess they could maybe move him for a guy like Dach, as Montreal has the cap and might feel like that move benefits them.

Seems the most likely option would be to move him for some futures that could then be packaged for center help from somewhere else, but the amount of top 6 available centers in the league currently is extremely small.

Got any targets in mind?

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
We’ve already have enough talent on the team, some just need a bit more seasoning. Make a couple smart, low to mid line trades, as we already have top line talent. Finally get the support pieces right, as we now have a coach that knows what he’s doing

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad