OT: Thread about Nothing Part 195: Baby it's cold outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Business sent me to Utah(salt lake) for 2-3 months a couple of years ago, the place is pretty laid back and beautiful. The outdoor activities are endless and hiking/wildlife etc is great

This is what everyone says, plus, they have the best snow quality in North America - sounds awesome.

They have extremely strange laws especially involving alcohol.

First chink in the armor, Ted.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Exploring the classic limestone streams of central Pennsylvania this morning...this picture was from last night and I'm still in my hotel room in bed truth be told
IMG_20140620_184420_390_zpsc81998cd.jpg

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Small streams and wild browns in central PA.
P1010951_zpsf83e9648.jpg

P10109611_zps56c0acc0.jpg
Have you tried gold panning in that river Jim? I was suprised that the last 3 fishing rivers I went to had gold flakes. Decided to fish and gold pan the same day lol. Was mostly for fun but accumulated a bit.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Have you tried gold panning in that river Jim? I was suprised that the last 3 fishing rivers I went to had gold flakes. Decided to fish and gold pan the same day lol. Was mostly for fun but accumulated a bit.

Never tried gold panning. I like playing with the bugs and fish. It pretty consuming

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Tight casting conditions there. Short throws required or roll casting if you are good.

Casting was definitely tricky. But most of the time I was European style-nymphing(Czech), with that technique you have no (or almost none)fly line out. Its tight line fishing with just the leader only a few feet away...so you're not really casting, its more of a simple flick of the wrist upstream and you stay tight to the flies along the drift.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What?!?!?

They're delicious. Salt, pepper, lemon, tarragon and/or a few other herbs like thyme and it's fantastic.

There aren't too many fresh water fish I like to eat, unless smoked...now saltwater is another story...I like almost everything.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Took a detour to Gettysburg... I'm a shamed to admit I have never been there before...I've alway considered this the greatest political speech ever given...not Washington's farewell, not FDR, not Churchil, not even Shakespeare's rendition of Marc Antony's eulogy of Caesar can hold up to this poignant masterpiece.

IMG_20140622_104724_773_zpsb0dd2fad.jpg

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Took a detour to Gettysburg... I'm a shamed to admit I have never been there before...I've alway considered this the greatest political speech ever given...not Washington's farewell, not FDR, not Churchil, not even Shakespeare's rendition of Marc Antony's eulogy of Caesar can hold up to this poignant masterpiece.

IMG_20140622_104724_773_zpsb0dd2fad.jpg

Being a Civil War buff, it's someplace where every American needs to visit. The most important battle of the last 200 years took place there. I stood at the top of little round top overlooking Devil's Den and it's like you can feel the battle happening. Same thing at The Angle where the confederates briefly penetrated Union lines during Pickett's charge.

What's interesting about the events of the day is that Edward Everett gave a 2 hour oration (because what the hell else did people do for entertainment in 1863?) prior to Lincoln speaking. Everybody thought Lincoln would address the crowd for a similar amount of time. He surprised everyone with a 10 sentence speech as well as giving the speech in the middle of fighting smallpox.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
If the movie from a couple years ago has any fabric of truth to it, Lincoln anguished with the burdens of holding that office and making the tough decision over the popular one so many times. I believe it after seeing the photos of him before and after the war. Of course his family life didn't help any either.

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/three-portraits-for-presidents-day/

GhostofKenKlee

Went on a tour of Fort McHenry for the first time in a long time. Lincoln used it to lock up Civil War dissenters and Journalist during the Civil War. Mayor of Baltimore as well as several newspaper journalist and editors. There is a lesson they forget to tell in History classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad