OT: Thread About Nothing 212….wishing it was 2112

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah it is fun but messy, surfboards are expensive as hell these days and I'm cheap so I build a few every year for myself and some friends. I used to do a lot more and sell them but don't have the space, I've probably made around 80 of them, I'll post some pics later.

What kind of equipment do you have? I only have the basic stuff like a table saw, chop saw and a router. I'd love to get a jointer and a planer and get a setup to do those pocket screws.

It's all small stuff since my garage is so small. But I have:

Table saw
Router mounted to router table
Hand router
Jointer
Planer
Drill press
Lathe
Small compressor to add a pin nailer

I want to upgrade the lathe and drill press and add a band saw and maybe a scroll saw, but I just have so little room

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

Table saw
Hand router
Jointer
Planer
Drill press
Lathe

I want to upgrade the lathe and drill press and add a band saw and maybe a scroll saw, but I just have so little room
Ok cool, that's a pretty good setup, I'm definitely going to have to start adding some stuff to my workshop. I need a jointer, planer and a drill press for sure, a band saw would be awesome too. My brother just picked up some welding equipment and that comes with needing a whole bunch of other stuff haha. It never ends, just don't have the damn space.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ok cool, that's a pretty good setup, I'm definitely going to have to start adding some stuff to my workshop. I need a jointer, planer and a drill press for sure, a band saw would be awesome too. My brother just picked up some welding equipment and that comes with needing a whole bunch of other stuff haha. It never ends, just don't have the damn space.

It really doesn't. You can go down such a rabbit hole, like any hobby. I forgot to mention my trusty skil miter saw, though I'd like to replace that with a 12 in Bosch.

And of course the skil crosscut saw, makita 18v drill, jigsaws, belt and orbital sanders, etc. You don't really think about those things, but they are all pretty necessary at one time or another.

Reactions: JK3

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Table saw
Hand router
Jointer
Planer
Drill press
Lathe

You know, I see Shopsmith Mark Vs on Craigslist all the time - but I wonder if they are any good. That kinda helps with the space thing....
Shopsmith MARK 7 and Mark V Multipurpose Tools

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
i picked up a dewalt 12" mitre saw for 550$ (with stand) pre covid and a dewalt jobsite tablesaw for 315$……made a sled for it out of some high grade plywood …. great buys and couldnt be happier
I had the same saw, but in 2019 I fell in love with a girl in Florida, sold my stuff, quit my job and moved down there!!! 4 weeks later I was back in Jersey, no girl, no saw , no slide action !!!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The arm on the Bosch allows you to flush the back of the saw to a wall which is nice for small spaces, but the claim to fame is how smooth the action is. The thing extends like butter. It's a treat to use.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Here's the last one I made, 8'-0" with resin tint cut lap, pin lines and cedar stringers, works really good.

D5TFLGB.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad