Thrashers Bombshell: Owners have wanted to sell since 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
What if the NHL were to do with Winnipeg like the NFL did with Cleveland.... make an Expansion Winnipeg franchise historically the Jets and recognize a Phoenix franchise as having existed since the team moved there?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
All Thrasher's fans are welcome to Caniac nation should either situation happen. :sarcasm:

Great news for the Thrash. Hopefully not fluff!! :handclap:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
My gut feeling is that Thomson has always wanted to buy all of it and keep the teams and put a Reuters hub in Atlanta alongside CNN and Turner Broadcasting in an attempt to lure their resources and talent away from them.

It's been pretty well established that Thomson is the financial power behind True North. It wouldn't be impossible for him to do this, but it would mean he screwed over a group he's worked with for a decade just to go establish a relatively meaningless foothold in Atlanta (he has enough to just buy CNN if he wanted to).

Either that, or it's Mikhail Prokhorov who cold have feet about the Nets in Brooklyn and that investment and his interest in the Devils, and would rather have the whole package in one city. Atlanta has always been a Russian-friendly team and it has a large Russian population. If not Prokhorov, it could easily be another Russian magnate.

I'm suspecting it's not Prokohorov, but who knows.

I think it's more likely that the Dickey family is interested as they have both the capital and the vested interest in keeping the Trashers in Atlanta.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Thrasher fans ought to mail thank you notes to the Dickey Broadcasting company for putting the team on their FM station midseason. It was impossible to hear games on radio more than 20 miles from the downtown area before that.

And visit the brand new radio broadcast stage that they built inside of Phillips next time you are down there.

Just sayin' you should show your appreciation:

Oneel supplied this on another thread:

Dickey Broadcasting
3535 Piedmont Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30305-4535

ATTN: David Dickey

Don't send emails, folks..... Send in physical letters. Send them a thank you note for carrying the Thrashers on FM, and how much the team means to you. Spread this EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Pegger5

Jan 9, 2007
Here's an article from the Winnipeg Free Press dealing with Thomson's connection to True North and why he's the key to Winnipeg getting a team:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/true-norths-billionaire-player-63584407.html
David Thomson is now the 19th Richest person in the world worth $23 billion USD.. and growing fast. People in the States will know him as the owner of Reuters. (now Thomson-Reuters). He also owns the National Paper in Canada called the Globe & Mail..

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I'm hoping the Thrashers stay. This is a really curious situation-but hearing the "rah rah" about a serious owner hits too close to the Yotes situation over the past couple of years-hopefully there IS a serious owner that wants to keep the franchise there.

I know if the Thrash do leave to go to the Peg, and the Yotes stay where they are, there are going to be some mighty upset fans with the percieved optics of the NHL Flip-Flopping (yes I know there's A LOT more to it than that-learned too much from the Yotes experience so far to think otherwise-part of the reason I've pulled from the biz. forums for awhile :laugh:)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Is this team in serious danger of relocating? what's the percentage of moving/not moving? 50/50?

I think it's overblown when you take into account that ASG could not sell it until a couple of months ago.

Right now, it really depends on how much interest they can get. The main thing is that there is a billionaire in the Peg who is very interested in owning a hockey team.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Is this team in serious danger of relocating? what's the percentage of moving/not moving? 50/50?

I have a Winnipeg perspective, but I would ask what are the chances that the City of Glendale will be successful with its bond offering and that the Goldwater Institute doesn't challenge it. If the bond offering is not successful, the Coyotes are heading to Winnipeg. There is no other location (other than Hamilton) that is NHL ready with building and ownership in place, and the NHL will not allow a move to Hamilton. If the Coyotes move to Winnipeg, the Thrashers are not going anywhere, at least not right away. If the Coyotes stay in Glendale, I would say that it is almost certain that the Thrashers will be gone. If the Thrashers do move, I would also say it is only a matter of time until Atlanta gets another team. Atlanta is just too important of a television market and the league remains focused on securing US television revenues.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
And from where do you glean that number, apart from your own posterior?

Basically, you have to think the percentage chance of them moving is tied to the percentage chance that a deal can be wrapped up to keep the team in Atlanta sufficiently before next season. The owners have said they will not stomach another $20 million loss. Those odds aren't impossible but you have to admit, they're long.

Throw into the mix the fact that the Phoenix situation isn't resolved and there's still a chance that might unravel. If it does, that buys Atlanta more time - probably another season.

GSC2k2*

David Thomson is now the 19th Richest person in the world worth $23 billion USD.. and growing fast. People in the States will know him as the owner of Reuters. (now Thomson-Reuters). He also owns the National Paper in Canada called the Globe & Mail..
To correct on this long-standing and oft-repeated error, David Thomson is not now and never has been "the 19th Richest person in the world worth $23 billion USD".

Firstly, it is the Thomson FAMILY that has that level of wealth. David Thomson is one of three Thomson siblings who mainly share the Thomson wealth.

Secondly, last time i read, the Thomson FAMILY was 20th, with net wealth of $19B.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/billionaires-2010_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

Now, you may say that having ~$6.5B is still more money than one could ever spend, on hockey or otherwise, and you would be right, but it puts him in the range of Anschutz.

I find it strange sometimes when people suggest that Thomson would be held in such awe by the Board of Governors. I think it is probably safer to assume that, in a room full of mostly billionaires who are the originators of their own fortunes, he would not be held in such awe. Thomson is merely the inheritor of his fortune. His most outstanding decision was clearly picking his parents (although I am sure he is a lovely guy).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
To correct on this long-standing and oft-repeated error, David Thomson is not now and never has been "the 19th Richest person in the world worth $23 billion USD".

Firstly, it is the Thomson FAMILY that has that level of wealth. David Thomson is one of three Thomson siblings who mainly share the Thomson wealth.

Secondly, last time i read, the Thomson FAMILY was 20th, with net wealth of $19B.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/billionaires-2010_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

Now, you may say that having ~$6.5B is still more money than one could ever spend, on hockey or otherwise, and you would be right, but it puts him in the range of Anschutz.

I find it strange sometimes when people suggest that Thomson would be held in such awe by the Board of Governors. I think it is probably safer to assume that, in a room full of mostly billionaires who are the originators of their own fortunes, he would not be held in such awe. Thomson is merely the inheritor of his fortune. His most outstanding decision was clearly picking his parents (although I am sure he is a lovely guy).

I tend to agree that this notion that the BOG cannot resist the temptation of selling a franchise to TNSE because of the involvement of David Thomson is overblown. It is clearly lower on their heirarchy than keeping franchises in place. Otherwise, how could one possibly explain the fact that Hulsizer and IEH would be given precedence over Thomson and TNSE? ;) Consider all the time that we spent discussing IEH's ownership prospects, and the fact that they were reported to have a "letter of intent" to take over the Coyotes last December.

I think that the point is that TNSE and Thomson might become owners of a franchise in Winnipeg if and when owners in another city are compelled to sell, and a new owner cannot be found for that market.

As I have noted before... "the Coyotes if necessary, but not necessarily the Coyotes". I would also agree with the post above that, ironically, the most sure way of buying time for the Thrashers in Atlanta might be the collapse of the Coyotes sale (however unlikely), since that would take away a ready landing place should the NHL have to relocate the Coyotes.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think the potential to make use of Thomson's media empire is far more appealing than his net worth.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I tend to agree that this notion that the BOG cannot resist the temptation of selling a franchise to TNSE because of the involvement of David Thomson is overblown. It is clearly lower on their heirarchy than keeping franchises in place. Otherwise, how could one possibly explain the fact that Hulsizer and IEH would be given precedence over Thomson and TNSE? ;) Consider all the time that we spent discussing IEH's ownership prospects, and the fact that they were reported to have a "letter of intent" to take over the Coyotes last December.

I think that the point is that TNSE and Thomson might become owners of a franchise in Winnipeg if and when owners in another city are compelled to sell, and a new owner cannot be found for that market.

As I have noted before... "the Coyotes if necessary, but not necessarily the Coyotes". I would also agree with the post above that, ironically, the most sure way of buying time for the Thrashers in Atlanta might be the collapse of the Coyotes sale (however unlikely), since that would take away a ready landing place should the NHL have to relocate the Coyotes.

Why would the NHL pull the plug on Phoenix at this point when it has a civic government, who already built an arena, willing to pay through the nose to keep the team there.

The NHL standing behind Phoenix has nothing to do with the league's willingness to move to Winnipeg.

GSC2k2*

why is it listed as David Thomson and family? Seems odd.

Well, that is likely because all of their wealth is held in a teeming collection of family trusts and similar vehicles.

All agreed, but this notion of selling the Thrashers by themselves is vastly overblown. The Hawks are no better off. Those assets are going to go together, most likely with the arena. Operating the Hawks by themselves would be a disaster.

GSC2k2*

I think the potential to make use of Thomson's media empire is far more appealing than his net worth.
The NHL does not need Thomson for media connections. Thomson is not a TV player at all. Reuters is a new entity.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
why is it listed as David Thomson and family? Seems odd.

Maybe because it appears that David is the only one of his siblings who is involved in Thomson Reuters to a large extent? The other two seem to have pursued other careers.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
All agreed, but this notion of selling the Thrashers by themselves is vastly overblown. The Hawks are no better off. Those assets are going to go together, most likely with the arena. Operating the Hawks by themselves would be a disaster.

But all indications are that AS wants to keep the Hawks. It might be a stupid plan, but they've never publicly discussed selling them. They're also largely a basketball oriented group... I can't see Gearon really being hot to sell the franchise his father basically built.

Now, they may end up getting an offer and doing just that. But it would appear to me that their preference is to just get rid of the Thrashers and use the income to fix the Hawks.

Pegger5

Jan 9, 2007

Here is a more updated stat for you about David Thomson
http://www.financialpost.com/news/richest+Canadians/3917753/story.html

Also the Top 100
http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/rich100/2010/ranking/Default.aspx?sp2=1&d1=a&sc1=0

Yes, it is the family fortune but as you know he is the Chairman of the fortune and the eldest son.. He also is Chairman and CEO of most of the families businesses. He is very well educated and STILL would be richer (with his own personal money) than any other NHL owner..
Really, who cares where the money comes from? The fact is he is doing this with his Winnipeg partner (Mark Chipman) and not for Hamilton.. and we thank him for that... If it was not him I am sure the Winnipeg Richardson family ( worth a few billion) would have stepped up..
This NHL team for Thomson is about the 8 blocks in and around MTSC. This is where he will make millions on the redevelopment of the area..called SHED (Sports Hospitality Entertainment District) This will add to the few million he has already made on MTSC..
I will research but I read he controls most of the wealth.. You are assuming it is only 6.5 billion by simply dividing by 3. Remember he runs the business on behalf of the family thus he would be majority shareholder of assets..
You know what makes him better than self made billionaires (barely btw) like Balsillie? Thomson is classy, respectful, no ego and knows how to do business the proper way unlike what Balsillie has tried to do 3 times.. He is not one to yap in the media. Big difference in class between the two.. This you must agree..

FYI, I know well the Riddell (look it up) family in Calgary and they don't simply divide the cash like you assume with Thomson family.. They wish!

Last edited:

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I would not be shocked if he had inherited the lion's share of his family's fortune. The fact that he was groomed to run their organization would actually suggest that to me.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010

it is very common for families to be listed together in wealth rankings.....old money is almost always considered that way....if you look at the list of richest canadians, half of them are families.

that being said, to suggest that the head of the thomson family will not be held in high regard by the BOG is not realistic.....less than 1/3 of NHL franchises are owned by billionaires and the thomson fortune is in a league of its own in this regard....it is ridiculous to dissect his percentage of the family wealth.....he is well beyond the average NHL owner no matter how you cut it....there simply is not a line-up of super wealthy people wanting into the NHL club....few NHL owners come with the pedigree and stability of thomson, which makes him more than extremely attractive to the league.

the fact that he inherited his money is not relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad