Proposal: thoughts on the rebuild

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
we need to rebuild the 2nd pp. It is literally coots line plus vinny. Not a goal scoring line. Gs line plus simmer makes sense. that line scores a lot. It needs to be a different formation instead of the umbrella to work against the d, and it just needs different personel

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
we need to rebuild the 2nd pp. It is literally coots line plus vinny. Not a goal scoring line. Gs line plus simmer makes sense. that line scores a lot. It needs to be a different formation instead of the umbrella to work against the d, and it just needs different personel

The last couple of games it actually got worse with Schultz & Del Zotto thrown on there. No one has a true sense to QB a PP on it & they're not good enough collectively to compensate for that. They also lack shooters, Vinny's really the only one but that's all he really brings to the table.

It would be great if the entire unit sans Couturier (although I think he needs to be closer to the net either in front of it or in the slot) is scrapped for next year but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
The last couple of games it actually got worse with Schultz & Del Zotto thrown on there. No one has a true sense to QB a PP on it & they're not good enough collectively to compensate for that. They also lack shooters, Vinny's real the only one but that's all he really brings to the table.

Agreed. As crazy as it sounds, id consider Lschenn orCoburn or even on the pp in front of the net. Simmons works there. we have no one past him who is a physical net front presence. Id let MDZ qb with VL on 1 dot, coots working down low (he is a very good distributor), lschenn/coburn in front and honestly i dont know who on the right. Umberger and Read are a big NO for me. I'd consider Shultz in a lower more forward role to take the same shot as G or distribute to the front for tips and rebounds like he has been showing lately.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Agreed. As crazy as it sounds, id consider Lschenn orCoburn or even on the pp in front of the net. Simmons works there. we have no one past him who is a physical net front presence. Id let MDZ qb with VL on 1 dot, coots working down low (he is a very good distributor), lschenn/coburn in front and honestly i dont know who on the right. Umberger and Read are a big NO for me. I'd consider Shultz in a lower more forward role to take the same shot as G or distribute to the front for tips and rebounds like he has been showing lately.

Berube wants to have two defenders on the second unit since they typically close out the PP. If all things were equal it makes sense but the Flyers are really sacrificing offense by doing this since we really lack offensive defensemen even Del Zotto isn't anything to really write home about.

Hopefully some of the young players coming up within these next couple of years can help out especially Gostisbehere since he has the skills to QB a PP unit along with a big shot.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
The 2nd PP unit was looking decent in the limited chances it had with Laughton on it over Lecavalier. Next season I'd like to see a bit more of that. Have the unit built around him and Couturier.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
When MDZ was out it was Couturier-Umberger-Lecavalier-Read-MacDonald. I don't think taking Read off for MDZ sacrifices much offense given how he's struggled this season. 2 PP points in 76 minutes (which is the most PP time outside the first unit).

Schultz has no clue on the PP and should only be out if there's 10 seconds left and it's a DZ draw.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'd like to see the PP2 until get a second right handed shot too. If you're not right handed and playing the left point of the PP it basically takes away your ability to 1-time. You can but it takes longer to get off.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When MDZ was out it was Couturier-Umberger-Lecavalier-Read-MacDonald. I don't think taking Read off for MDZ sacrifices much offense given how he's struggled this season. 2 PP points in 76 minutes (which is the most PP time outside the first unit).

Schultz has no clue on the PP and should only be out if there's 10 seconds left and it's a DZ draw.

Well leaving Laughton off hurts. The defender's are taking a spot away for us to put him out there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I still think Laughton should replace Lecavalier. If Berube's committed to leaving two defensemen out there then that's the only person he could replace. The only time that unit really looked like a threat were the two times where he was on there.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
A lot of things wrong with the second unit. There's no natural playmaker. Couturier shows flashes, but not consistent enough. No one really wants the puck. Need more skilled defensemen. Del Zotto is somewhat skilled, but does nothing on the PP. MacDonald if he's not playing at the top of the umbrella is useless. No net front presence. No right hand shot to keep the PK honest. Read is the only righty and we know how he's been this year. Laughton plays the same spot as Vinny, but doesn't have his shot. Vinny's a nightmare with the puck so its a bit of a wash, but he's really the only threat of a shot on that unit.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Bellemare has good stick skill. Was thinking would anyone like this?

Schenn-G-Vorcaek
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
Bellemare-Couturier-Read
Umberger-Lecavalier-White

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Bellemare has good stick skill. Was thinking would anyone like this?

Schenn-G-Vorcaek
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
Bellemare-Couturier-Read
Umberger-Lecavalier-White

I've been wanting Bellemare to get the shot there since he came in. He's fast, good defensively and solid offensively. He would be a good fit with Couturier and Read, in my opinion.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
I've been wanting Bellemare to get the shot there since he came in. He's fast, good defensively and solid offensively. He would be a good fit with Couturier and Read, in my opinion.

While I want to agree with that the last few weeks Umberger hasn't been a complete waste of space. If he can keep it up for a month maybe someone at the deadline gets desperate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad