Proposal: thoughts on the rebuild

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Okay, let's say that the Flyers win the lottery and get the #1 pick and the Sabres are picking at #3. Would you even consider trading the #1 pick for the Sabres pick at #3 plus their other two 1st rnd picks in this draft?

Having Giroux and McDavid down the middle would be awesome but we have our franchise center and holes everywhere else. At #3 we could draft a future franchise dman and with the other 2 picks we could end up with two guys like Mike Richards (before injuries derailed him) and Ryan Getzlaf (players taken later in the 04 drafts first round, the draft this class is being compared to).

If you decide to just keep our pick and take McDavid, how would you find us that true, top end #1 dman (and no, as good as our dmen prospects look, I just don't see a true #1 in any of them)?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Agreed. McDavid or Eichel are too good to pass up. If anything, try to flip Laughton for an equivalent-upside winger or even a goaltending prospect. Run Giroux -- McDavid/Eichel -- Couturier up the middle.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
McDavid.

Not only would he be lethal WITH Giroux, but hopefully he'd be the replacement for Giroux once he eventually retires.

Plus, if we have those two it won't matter what other holes we have, we could just win games 10-5 all season long. Defense is overrated :sarcasm:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
McDavid or Hanifin and two more first rounders?

Quality over quantity but I would have to think long and hard about it... and I'm not even sure the Sabres would make that offer.
If Ristolainen was in the package as well, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I asked the same question to sabres fans and they jumped at the chance to trade all 3 of their firsts (and pretty pretty pretty much all were even willing to add on top of that) for McDavid.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I asked the same question to sabres fans and they jumped at the chance to trade all 3 of their firsts (and pretty pretty pretty much all were even willing to add on top of that) for McDavid.

Yeah. Why wouldn't they?

I don't think people realize how good McDavid is and how valuable that pick would be.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Yeah, it would be tough to trade that pick but this is what I was thinking when pondering it. Equating this draft to the 03 draft, this is how I see it. We'd be trading say Stamkos (McDavid is more of an elite goal scorer than the elite overall player that Crosby is) for Boumeester, Getzlaf, and Mike Richards (before injuries derailed his career). This years draft is as deep as the 03 draft. Hanifin (sp??) Is supposed to be as good if not better than Seth Jones and Ekblad (there is our future #1 dman), and with as good as our scouts are at drafting forwards and there being damned good talent still there in the 20's, we could end up getting two more first or second line forwards.

It would be really tough to NOT take McDavid but damned, if we could get a #1 dman and two very good forwards (say one top line and one second line) that would make me think twice. From a team build standpoint I think that the 3 players make us better overall, but how do you say no to McDavid?

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
The thing is, with McDavid, you know you're getting a 1C, at worst a 2C if he is nothing like he's ever proven to be to this point.

If you make the trade, you arent getting a 1D and 2 good forwards. You are getting what you think may be a 1D and 2 good forwards in the 25th overall range.
Or if you trade with Buffalo for their pick and Risto, Zadarov, etc. You are getting players that could become at 1D or whatever it may be.

After trading the #1 pick you've already taken a risk. Then you take another risk by selecting players you think could be good. Eliminate the double risk and just take McDavid, which is as solid a #1 overall pick as theres been. You're getting a Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, Hall, MacKinnon type player.

RJ8812*

you pick McDavid without question. Move someone else to get defense or whatever

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Nope, definitely McDavid. If anything, you could trade Giroux after you get him and start a legitimate rebuild where our D are actually older (or at least closer in age) than our forwards like it should be. As it is now, Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds are a little too old for where our D prospects are. When the D hit their prime, those 3 will likely be starting to decline.

You could build around McDavid - Couturier - Laughton down the middle and get some fantastic assets from trading some combination of G, Jake and Simmonds. For those guys, you could get the best prospects at any position.

I'd probably keep Jake (if he signs) to play with McDavid and trade Giroux and Simmonds. Get a blue chip defense and goalie prospect, then load up on some high upside wingers.

Hell, we might even be doing Giroux a favor. Get him off this dumpster fire and maybe move him to a contender. The Blues or Preds might make good partners with their young D.

But this is all moot, we aren't getting McDavid and I don't like talking about trading Giroux.

RJ8812*

You don't trade Giroux lol

That's silly

Giroux-McDavid down the middle....you can't top that

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The only time I trade the 1st overall pick, is if we are offered the 2nd overall and 3rd overall for it.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Yeah, it would be tough to trade that pick but this is what I was thinking when pondering it. Equating this draft to the 03 draft, this is how I see it. We'd be trading say Stamkos (McDavid is more of an elite goal scorer than the elite overall player that Crosby is) for Boumeester, Getzlaf, and Mike Richards (before injuries derailed his career). This years draft is as deep as the 03 draft. Hanifin (sp??) Is supposed to be as good if not better than Seth Jones and Ekblad (there is our future #1 dman), and with as good as our scouts are at drafting forwards and there being damned good talent still there in the 20's, we could end up getting two more first or second line forwards.

It would be really tough to NOT take McDavid but damned, if we could get a #1 dman and two very good forwards (say one top line and one second line) that would make me think twice. From a team build standpoint I think that the 3 players make us better overall, but how do you say no to McDavid?

That's not how it works.

The odds of getting three productive NHL players in three successive picks in one draft is minuscule.

You don't trade a franchise player on the bet that this draft will be as good as the best draft in NHL history.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
Yeah they're not trading Giroux, but its not silly
What blinds said makes sense, and is probably the smarter thing to do, but the Flyers arent doing that.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
With mason on the shelve for some time to come, and now I am on the trade coburn, try to bring Schultz back for a few seasons, he is solid and a smart vet, a stabilizing force on this shaky d. So more picks for 15 trading coburn. But I do not honestly see us finishing below, buff,car,Ed. I think we will pick, where we are ranked today, 6.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
You don't trade Giroux lol

That's silly

Giroux-McDavis down the middle....you can't top that

Crosby - Malkin is probably better and closer in age too. We've seen how it's gone for them, their depth has bled out around them and they can't carry the team alone.

Of course, they won a cup too so who knows. I'd rather balance it out though and get an elite D to go with the elite C.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think you can still keep the depth at center, especially in McDavid's first year if we somehow magically draft him. Play him on the wing to begin his career and let the other centers continue to develop. After next year you then re-evaluate the situation and make your decisions from there.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
No, you keep the pick and get McDavid. The good news is, we won't have to worry about this happening. Even if we are the worst team, we won't win the lottery, giving us Eichel instead. I'd rather finish second worst and be guaranteed Eichel or Hanifin. Losing out on McDavid will just depress me even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad