Proposal: thoughts on the rebuild

RJ8812*

Crosby - Malkin is probably better and closer in age too. We've seen how it's gone for them, their depth has bled out around them and they can't carry the team alone.

Of course, they won a cup too so who knows. I'd rather balance it out though and get an elite D to go with the elite C.

Seen how it's gone for them? ya, it got them a cup. Probably more if they had competent management and coaching

Having Giroux and McDavid down the middle would be amazing. You don't trade either player/pick for other assets. You trade other assets (ie: Couturier) for what else you'll need (defense, wingers)

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Trade Coburn and Matt Read to Vancouver for Dan Hamhuis and Zach Kassian
In the draft with our 1st pick we get Jeremy Roy with our 3rd we get Graham Knott
Sign: Johnny Oduya 1 Year Deal.
Bring Jagr back for one year.
Sign: Karri Ramo 1 Year deal.
Luke Schenn, RJ Umberger, 2nd 2017 to Edmonton 1st (Pitts) 2016 Jordan Greenway

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Jagr-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Kassian
Leier-Lecavalier-Umberger

Hamuis-Streit
Del Zotto-Schultz
Macdonald-Oduya

Mason
Ramo

Team is stacked for next year and prospect pool is sick! And we can let them develop while this team wins games!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Trade Coburn and Matt Read to Vancouver for Dan Hamhuis and Zach Kassian
In the draft with our 1st pick we get Jeremy Roy with our 3rd we get Graham Knott
Sign: Johnny Oduya 1 Year Deal.
Bring Jagr back for one year.
Sign: Karri Ramo 1 Year deal.
Luke Schenn, RJ Umberger, 2nd 2017 to Edmonton 1st (Pitts) 2016 Jordan Greenway

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Jagr-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Kassian
Leier-Lecavalier-Umberger

Hamuis-Streit
Del Zotto-Schultz
Macdonald-Oduya

Mason
Ramo

Team is stacked for next year and prospect pool is sick! And we can let them develop while this team wins games!

Vancouver says no.
Our d is still no good and overpaid.
Jagr won't play LW...and wants to be a 1st line RW.
We still have the anchors of a Vinny and Umberger.

I will say it again....we are RARELY in a position to sell. Sell as much as you can. Sell any and all the D is possible. Keep the core 6 forwards...unless Simone really overpays. If people want the others, sell them.

Then Hextall can build with the players HE wants.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Sell, sell, sell, sell....and stack up 2015 pick. If its really 2003 all over again then we good. I really think we will battle for worst team when the trade deadline come by. Without Coburn, maybe LSchenn, umberger, Lecavalier and Read on the team for draft pick and prospect, I dont see alot of winning nights. Don't forget Mason injury this season and you got yourself a 1st to 3rd 2015 overall pick.

KEEP MCDAVID, I understand the trade and the value is there but you just can't pass on him. We got good D prospect coming up.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Or, you just take McDavid and not trade Laughton or Couturier. Giroux and McDavid on a line would be more enticing.

oh dear:

McDavid Giroux Simmonds-scoring line
Schenn Couts Voracek-scoring

Raffl Laughton Read-new shutdown line

rebuild the 4th line and D, add a real backup.

Make us all happy.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
oh dear:

McDavid Giroux Simmonds-scoring line
Schenn Couts Voracek-scoring

Raffl Laughton Read-new shutdown line

rebuild the 4th line and D, add a real backup.

Make us all happy.

Or you keep vorachek on the first line where he belongs and have a potentially better legion of doom 2.0 version

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The big question that needs to be asked is - how far apart is the talent gap between McDavid and Marner? If one believes that the gap isn't that far and Marner can be mentioned in the same breath as McDavid, then I think the Flyers would have to seriously consider a deal like that (especially if other assets to shore up areas are thrown in). Tough question, for certain.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They're not close. You get the first pick, you take McDavid and build around him.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'd try to move it but it would be for help on the blue line. I'd try to see if we can't get Florida to give up Ekblad, Petrovic, Huberdeau, and their first. Silly question though because nobody is going to want to be the GM that trades McDavid imo.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
You take McDavid and you move other guys on the roster not named Giroux or Voracek for help including Simmonds. With a one two punch of McDavid and Giroux at center, getting wingers to succeed around them won't be hard so you can move Simmonds for defense help. You might even be able to get the 3rd overall if a team like Edmonton has it for a package around Simmonds and or Couturier, who would be expendable if need be for a defensive upgrade.

The only way I would consider a trade would be if the team with the 2nd pick wanted to move up to get McDavid. I think Eichel will be an excellent center, not all that far behind McDavid and in a lot of ways would be a better compliment with Giroux due to his size. Using Edmonton as an example again, if they really wanted the Canadian over the American and were willing to part with Nurse plus, I would do it.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
If you could get Florida to do it I think I'd still do it:

Huberdeau-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Couts-Read
Chumps

Ekblad-Streit
Petrovic-MDZ
Schenn-MacDonald

Plus you're going to get a 15-20 first from Florida and also trading Coburn so You can go get someone like Carlo and a center like Kyle Connor. I don't see a team moving McDavid though it's fun to think about though.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I'd move Couturier and Schenn before Simmonds

Simmonds /26 years old / 26 pts -5 / Wing
Couturier/ 22 years / 21 pts +3 / Center
Schenn / 23 years / 25 pts 0 / Wing

The Flyers are not competing for a cup this year or next year. At best, they could compete for a cup in 2 years at which point Simmonds would be 28 and Couturier would be 24 and 25 respectively. So you want to rather trade a 28 year old player than a player who would be 24 and 25 respectively??

Also, Couturier is producing almost as much as Simmons while not getting the same pp time and getting much harder minutes. Watching the game it is obvious that Schenn has progressed alot from last season and it is to conceive of him averaging 60+ points per season, which would be superior to Simmonds. Schenn is not a great defensive player but neither is Simmonds.

At the end of the day, given the choice of the three the choice is obvious: Simmonds.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Or, you just take McDavid and not trade Laughton or Couturier. Giroux and McDavid on a line would be more enticing.

Or you could not draft arguably the most valued prospect since crosby and play him out of position, and trade someone like Coururier or Laughton for a player of equal value on the wing or blueline.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Any trade the Flyers could make right now would be a lateral move. I think if we're looking ahead, the biggest thing they'd need to acquire is someone that could center the top line when Giroux starts slowing down. If we're in a position to grab a kid like that, why trade them away for lesser pieces? Pieces that we should have by that point in time, if things go well.

Don't forget, there's going to be a few drafts between now and when we're ready to compete. That could drastically change the landscape as well.

Management would probably be wise to just wait and see how things shake out with our young guys before they start trading things.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Even with Simmonds, they're as soft as Charmin. :laugh:

Anyone think with this in mind the Flyers could make a play for Buff? Not that I'd be entirely for it, but he's been destroying people all over the place. Especially in that game against us as well. I know people hate him, but he'd definitely help with the physical aspect. Would also completely replace Hartnell's PIMs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Anyone think with this in mind the Flyers could make a play for Buff? Not that I'd be entirely for it, but he's been destroying people all over the place. Especially in that game against us as well. I know people hate him, but he'd definitely help with the physical aspect. Would also completely replace Hartnell's PIMs.

That ship has sailed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad