Thoughts on the Rebuild? PART 3

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
4 months ago everyone had him pegged as a buyout candidate. I think his ceiling is him living up to his cap hit, and we're going to have other guys who can replace him.

Nobody knows where his game will go, but I don't want a single bad deal on the books while our window is open. So I would take a shot of moving him. Even if it is a sell low situation
Far from everyone.. You Sweatered and a maybe a handful of others .. and you all would have been wrong then. Some of that crowd has acquiesced but ..White has done well this year with his opportunities and has made improvements in almost all parts of his game.. Why give up on him now.. He has more to give .. not a question of effort but continued development, experience and strength.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Far from everyone.. You Sweatered and a maybe a handful of others .. and you all would have been wrong then. Some of that crowd has acquiesced but ..White has done well this year with his opportunities and has made improvements in almost all parts of his game.. Why give up on him now.. He has more to give .. not a question of effort but continued development, experience and strength.

Not to mention his contract isn't hurting the team in any way. If we can't sign a player because of Colin White's contract that speaks more to ownership than White's salary.

Reactions: DrEasy

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
A White buyout has always been a fantasy for a select few.

#1 he's not playing anywhere near poorly enough to warrant a buy out
#2 for a budget team like this there's very little chance at all they would buy out a guy like him and throw away money for him to not play for the team

Its not happening.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In your scenario we need to pick either a top line centre or a top RD to trade for (one would actually need to be available) in mine we get both. I'll take 45 points from a rookie centre and 25 points from a rookie RD that are only costing the team 950k each and are more likely to get better over a single player scoring 70 and costing the team 9+ million dollars. This is how our team is being built and we should play to those strengths rather than give them up for a single player whose salary will force us to make tough decisions very quickly on who to keep.

Just to add to this you are also relying on Pierre Dorion and this front office to actually properly evaluate a high level pro player which they simply haven't done once since PD took over. On the flip side the scouting team has a history of being able to identify impact players in the top 5.
Those choices are coming regardless.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

I think he will cause serious problems with internal cap compatibles when guys like Batherson and Norris go contract signing
both will probably put up a better pace this year than he ever will moving forward

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s a hypothetical. And there’s only one real name we’ve heard out there and that’s Eichel. POSSIBLY

I have an issue with judging performance against hypothetical possibilities because the bar for success may not be realistic.

As of right now, you want to acquire superstar talent Jack Eichel or 20-year old prospect and 5th overall pick Alex Turcotte.

Burrowsaurus said:
That has nothing to do with anything

It's an example of a 1st line centre on the outs with his organization being made available for a high 1st round pick.

I think it very much has something to do with everything.

Jan 9, 2011
Victoria, BC
Colin White is not that bad honestly.
Yeah, he isn't what we thought what he was going to be all those years ago. I for one am not frustrated by CW, he works hard and doesn't make much mistakes (besides the canucks turnover). He is what you want out of a player and would look good on the future 3rd/4th line down the road and there isn't anything wrong with that IMO. Not every player can put up 20G/20A and im pleased with what he has brought this season. His contract isn't terrible and all his teammates love him and its what you want in our culture.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
A White buyout has always been a fantasy for a select few.

#1 he's not playing anywhere near poorly enough to warrant a buy out
#2 for a budget team like this there's very little chance at all they would buy out a guy like him and throw away money for him to not play for the team

Its not happening.
IIRC from reading here, part of that also stemmed from the contract and how a buyout would shake out financially. It was insinuated that it was such an inconsequential buyout that it was likely considered as a fallback option when it was initially offered and cancelled out a lot of the risk involved.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
IIRC from reading here, part of that also stemmed from the contract and how a buyout would shake out financially. It was insinuated that it was such an inconsequential buyout that it was likely considered as a fallback option when it was initially offered and cancelled out a lot of the risk involved.

Could have made sense if White didn't improve his play. He has though. He's a solid middle 6 center.

Is he worth the contract? Probably not. Will he be? Who the hell knows lol. All I know is he's playing some decent to good hockey this season.

The rumours out there about the Sens refusing to retain any money on Gudbransons contract yesterday tells me theres no appetite for spending money on guys not playing for the Sens.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think he will cause serious problems with internal cap compatibles when guys like Batherson and Norris go contract signing
both will probably put up a better pace this year than he ever will moving forward

White’s contract is fine up until the last year - at that point, paying him 6 mil may not be feasible. Regardless, his cap hit is reasonable and I see no reason why White cannot be an excellent third line centre. Trading him towards the end of the deal shouldn’t be a major issue if we have a logjam.

If we start trading players because they might become unaffordable or because we might have a logjam, we are not going to get better. Pinto, Stützle, and Greig might all be great options at centre but we don’t actually know that yet.

If you get a deal you can’t refuse by all means go for it, but no need to make this move right now otherwise IMO. We have very little centre depth on the team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Whites possession stats are the best on the team among forwards that have played 5 games or more. CF% and CF%Rel and has 42.3% offensive zone starts compared to Tkachuk at 50.3, Norris 50.9, Batherson 54.5, .. So .. I would think if we upped his Ozone starts his CF numbers would go up and his points as well.

He is not given the same opportunities to collect points as the players that have more / gp that are ahead of him. PP1 never, PP2 not all the time, No PKs, No 3 on 3s
DJ played Anisimov ahead of him to start the year.. Inserted him in the lineup but has not given him much in the extras department.

He's not far off earning his contract. I think there would be interest with the contract on him .. no need for adding high picks

Reactions: DrEasy and PlayOn

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Very small sample size but yesterday's game against Winnipeg was very encouraging for the rebuild.

Ya it might have been a super bad game from the Jets but the sens played like they did in the Martin era.
Defensive shell with a crazy good scoring chances thrown in every other shift.
Everyone craps on Tierney but he destroyed that PP of the Jets causing break outs and penalties against he was a major reason for the win

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Could have made sense if White didn't improve his play. He has though. He's a solid middle 6 center.

Is he worth the contract? Probably not. Will he be? Who the hell knows lol. All I know is he's playing some decent to good hockey this season.
Ya, I get that side of it. He has improved a lot this year and i'm not advocating moving him, even if I would consider leaving him exposed for expansion as a calculated risk. I was more just pointing out that the very beneficial financial terms of a buyout of that contract was a big reason the conversation seemed to go as far as it did, again IIRC.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I have an issue with judging performance against hypothetical possibilities because the bar for success may not be realistic.

As of right now, you want to acquire superstar talent Jack Eichel or 20-year old prospect and 5th overall pick Alex Turcotte.

It's an example of a 1st line centre on the outs with his organization being made available for a high 1st round pick.

I think it very much has something to do with everything.
Those were simply two names I mentioned. I’m not comparing the two. I also mentioned Dylan strome.

that pick ended up being high for duchene. It wasn’t supposed to be that high. You think because our team crumbled after we acquired one first line center. It will crumble the exact same way after acquiring another?

remember the last time we took a forward first overall? Turned out horribly. Would you avoid taking a forward first overall from here on out?

Every outcome from a trade is hypothetical. Even real trades.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Whites possession stats are the best on the team among forwards that have played 5 games or more. CF% and CF%Rel and has 42.3% offensive zone starts compared to Tkachuk at 50.3, Norris 50.9, Batherson 54.5, .. So .. I would think if we upped his Ozone starts his CF numbers would go up and his points as well.

He is not given the same opportunities to collect points as the players that have more / gp that are ahead of him. PP1 never, PP2 not all the time, No PKs, No 3 on 3s
DJ played Anisimov ahead of him to start the year.. Inserted him in the lineup but has not given him much in the extras department.

He's not far off earning his contract. I think there would be interest with the contract on him .. no need for adding high picks
I was surprised to see the guys got 8 goals. He put together a really nice season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Both Tierney and White played decently last game, but there was one particular play involving White where he entered the zone, faced opposition from two guys, so he turned and cut across the zone, taking both guys with him, before passing to the outside winger who then sent it in front of the crease for a tip by the other winger.

It was a near "tic-tac-toe play" (as described by the announcer) that would have resulted in a gorgeous goal but what was great about it was White's decision not to simply drive forward but use the space available to buy himself and his linemates room to maneuver.

Hopefully someone else remembers this so I don't sound like a crazy person.

Again, it sort of reminds me that he can make plays happen when he plays with confidence. He'd had that kind of confidence going right as he was injured IIRC which was a pretty cruel blow.

In summary, I still think he has more potential than Tierney, and while he's not earning his contract right now, I think his style of play fits in with the kind of team we are building.

It was white to Dandonov to Paul.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm quite happy with the way things are going other than Murray which might be a problem

Next year depends a bit on the thoughts on Pinto and JBD

I don't see a big D acquisition

Chabot Zaitsev
Brannstrom Zub
Xxx JBD

With Sanderson arriving at the conclusion of his season and immediately being a top 4.

Unless they expose Zaitsev, i see him slowly getting pushed down the lineup and being very serviceable with less minutes. There's also the option of Brannstrom playing the other side

Up front there's a ton of talent. Maybe Jimmy converts to C, maybe he doesn't. I don't think it matters. Norris is pretty solid. White and Pinto. Amadio. Bishop. Tierney. Paul in a pinch.

Plenty of wingers. Dandonov. Stuetzle. Batherson. Tkachuk. Not a bad top 4. Formenton is just stupid fast. Paul. Connor Brown. Watson. Dzingel.

I think this team's strength is going to be grinding other teams down. Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin won 3 times. You have to beat them other ways, which happened 13 times. Beating the Leafs won't happen because we have a better one two punch than Matthews and Tavares. Beating the Leafs will happen because we do an ok job of containing Matthews and win the 39 minutes he's not playing

Tons of depth.

I don't see the top 4D on a short 2 or 3 year deal. Legit top 4s get more term as UFAs and cost considerable assets to acquire in trades if already signed and in our core age range

I'll eventually start getting excited about our 2021 1st at some point. That's another potential big add.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm quite happy with the way things are going other than Murray which might be a problem

Next year depends a bit on the thoughts on Pinto and JBD

I don't see a big D acquisition

Chabot Zaitsev
Brannstrom Zub
Xxx JBD

With Sanderson arriving at the conclusion of his season and immediately being a top 4.

Unless they expose Zaitsev, i see him slowly getting pushed down the lineup and being very serviceable with less minutes. There's also the option of Brannstrom playing the other side

Up front there's a ton of talent. Maybe Jimmy converts to C, maybe he doesn't. I don't think it matters. Norris is pretty solid. White and Pinto. Amadio. Bishop. Tierney. Paul in a pinch.

Plenty of wingers. Dandonov. Stuetzle. Batherson. Tkachuk. Not a bad top 4. Formenton is just stupid fast. Paul. Connor Brown. Watson. Dzingel.

I think this team's strength is going to be grinding other teams down. Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin won 3 times. You have to beat them other ways, which happened 13 times. Beating the Leafs won't happen because we have a better one two punch than Matthews and Tavares. Beating the Leafs will happen because we do an ok job of containing Matthews and win the 39 minutes he's not playing

Tons of depth.

I don't see the top 4D on a short 2 or 3 year deal. Legit top 4s get more term as UFAs and cost considerable assets to acquire in trades if already signed and in our core age range

I'll eventually start getting excited about our 2021 1st at some point. That's another potential big add.
Yeah I’m just not a believer in pinto/norris/and I guess stutzle as a center as most. I think they’re good players and will be good centers and stutzle will be a great winger. I think we are sorely missing a piece in the middle.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If L. Brown could only turn into the player most hoped he would when he was drafted Ottawa could add two top six forwards (L. Brown & Pinto), two top 4 defencemen (JBD & Sanderson when school is over) next season & then their first rd pick in 2021 & 22 whenever they become NHL ready. Not to mention Formenton, Sokolov, Greig, Jarventie & Kleven some day. Greig will have to beat out C. White, Jarventie would have to beat out Formenton & JBD will have to prove he can play in the top 4 & beat out or push down Zaitsev. I assume how Pinto looks to end this yr at centre or RW could determine what happens with L. Brown.

Tkachuk - Norris - Pinto
Stutzle - L. Brown - Batherson
Jarventie - Greig - C. Brown
Formenton - Paul - Sokolov

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Clarke (2021 draft)
Kleven - Zub/Thomson

Daccord - Gustavsson/Sogaard

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
From the beginning of the season to now I have seen big improvement. From the coach to all the players , well expect a few.

However I am going give everyone a pass to a degree as we are such a young team.

We can't pick apart every shift and every game or a good or bad season, they need time. Ask me how the rebuild went in two years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad