Thoughts on the Rebuild? PART 3

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nobody knows where his game will go, but I don't want a single bad deal on the books while our window is open. So I would take a shot of moving him. Even if it is a sell low situation

The challenge is he's not living up to his contract right now meaning that we'd have to take cap and likely term back.

Or we'd have to package a very high pick.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
4 months ago everyone had him pegged as a buyout candidate. I think his ceiling is him living up to his cap hit, and we're going to have other guys who can replace him.

Nobody knows where his game will go, but I don't want a single bad deal on the books while our window is open. So I would take a shot of moving him. Even if it is a sell low situation

Well not everyone, definitely one person in many threads though ;)

Either way the buyout option is there, but the player is playing at a level that fits his deal, or close to it now.

I personally would like to see him get a nice stretch, and be able to come into next season feeling good after this season, instead of how he had to come to camp this year.

I like him as a player, he’s good. He’s likely not a top 6 guy once we flesh out, but as someone mentioned we’re building a 4 line team and the Paul White Daddy line looked good last night.

No need to rush to get rid of a guy who fits our team in many ways right now.

Reactions: cudi

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Who would consider trading our 1st round pick this year? And who would you target if so?

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Going well but it will still take 2-3 years for the high end prospects to develop into NHL studs. Hopefully one of the goalies will also. Team should start improving in the standings each year now. Need to be patient.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I consider trading this years and next years. Go big game hunting

Do you have any targets in mind?

I assume:
1. Not playing up to the usual standard.
2. Cap or expansion casualty.
3. Team has to rebuild and turf talent.

In general, anyone who is a good player is not available barring extreme circumstances.

Philadelphia? Buffalo?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do you have any targets in mind?

I assume:
1. Not playing up to the usual standard.
2. Cap or expansion casualty.
3. Team has to rebuild and turf talent.

In general, anyone who is a good player is not available barring extreme circumstances.

Philadelphia? Buffalo?
Well. I expect two probable top 5 picks to bring in something nice.
Eichel is target one (if of course that situation worsens)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well. I expect two probable top 5 picks to bring in something nice.
Eichel is target one

Eichel would be something.

Yes his value is at an all-time low but that just might make him available.

Within the division though? Hrmm.

No NMC until 2022-2023 at which point he isn’t a very liquid asset so there’s a bit of buyer beware.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Eichel would be something.

Yes his value is at an all-time low but that just might make him available.

Within the division though? Hrmm.

No NMC until 2022-2023 at which point he isn’t a very liquid asset so there’s a bit of buyer beware.
He’s young. Him being signed so long works in our favor. On against us. I beleive. Other than that I have no idea. Not many first line centers that A. Want to leave. B. Teams want to get rid of.
Maybe even a really center possibly hiding behind his teams older options right now?

I still think we should make a play for Dylan strome (not for our first round picks )

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I cant believe people here are saying we should trade 2 top 5 picks for anyone. You are essentially acknowledging that whatever player we bring in isn’t going to make us good enough to finish out of the bottom 5 next year. Just awful asset management not to mention loss of high value cost controlled players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I cant believe people here are saying we should trade 2 top 5 picks for anyone. You are essentially acknowledging that whatever player we bring in isn’t going to make us good enough to finish out of the bottom 5 next year. Just awful asset management not to mention loss of high value cost controlled players.

Well in the extreme example of Jack Eichel, I don’t see anyone at that level of talent available in the next few drafts.

But I think Buffalo would burn down the rink if they traded him here.

In general though, I agree. Anyone worth their contract is obviously not getting traded unless a franchise is really going to tear it all down.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Frankly I don’t give a shit about cost control this or that. We need win sooner or later. The picks you’re making in 2021-22-23 may not be ready for a while. If a legit Youngish center or youngish top flight d man becomes available. You pull the trigger.

Reactions: Yak

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Frankly I don’t give a shit about cost control this or that. We need win sooner or later. The picks you’re making in 2021-22-23 may not be ready for a while. If a legit Youngish center or youngish top flight d man becomes available. You pull the trigger.

I actually cant think of an example of any team finishing near last in the league and trading multiple 1st round picks and it working out. We are not a single piece away from competing for a Stanley Cup and people need to start realizing this. We cant even finish outside the bottom 5 right now!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I actually cant think of an example of any team finishing near last in the league and trading multiple 1st round picks and it working out. We are not a single piece away from competing for a Stanley Cup and people need to start realizing this. We cant even finish outside the bottom 5 right now!
Well you need to have some confidence in the ppl you have coming. And with our next two firsts. What do you think we will be crossing our fingers to find?first like centers. Top pair defenders. And we will be extreeemely lucky if we find them with picks. Which is why if those become available I would trade for them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe we could pull turcotte away from the kings?

They’re in the same position as us.

I don’t know if we make good partners.

You’re really looking at guys like Voracek, Giroux. I don’t think Couturier could be had but I’d throw a very high pick his way.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They’re in the same position as us.

I don’t know if we make good partners.
They have an quite a few prospect centers. After this draft we may have quite a few prospect d men. We could make perfect partners

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Well you need to have some confidence in the ppl you have coming. And with our next two firsts. What do you think we will be crossing our fingers to find?first like centers. Top pair defenders. And we will be extreeemely lucky if we find them with picks. Which is why if those become available I would trade for them.

I think with top 5 picks in the next two drafts its perfectly reasonable given current scouting to find a top 6 centre and a top 4 RD that can be impact players as early as the 2022-23 season and will allow us to keep the depth our team is being built arround.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They have an quite a few prospect centers. After this draft we may have quite a few prospect d men. We could make perfect partners

Maybe, although you can always move centers to the wing.

I wonder how often comparable prospects get traded for each other.

A fair amount of scouting and decision making goes into it and I think they tend to go all in on their guys until they don’t pan out.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think with top 5 picks in the next two drafts its perfectly reasonable given current scouting to find a top 6 centre and a top 4 RD that can be impact players as early as the 2022-23 season and will allow us to keep the depth our team is being built arround.
I didn’t say top 6 center. I said numero uno.

mand no top 4 dman. I said top pair.

And were not losing any depth lol. Just swap the dude you would pick in the top 5 with a bonafide hypothetical top line center. Team doesn’t change.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I didn’t say top 6 center. I said numero uno.

mand no top 4 dman. I said top pair.

And were not losing any depth lol. Just swap the dude you would pick in the top 5 with a bonafide hypothetical top line center. Team doesn’t change.

In your scenario we need to pick either a top line centre or a top RD to trade for (one would actually need to be available) in mine we get both. I'll take 45 points from a rookie centre and 25 points from a rookie RD that are only costing the team 950k each and are more likely to get better over a single player scoring 70 and costing the team 9+ million dollars. This is how our team is being built and we should play to those strengths rather than give them up for a single player whose salary will force us to make tough decisions very quickly on who to keep.

Just to add to this you are also relying on Pierre Dorion and this front office to actually properly evaluate a high level pro player which they simply haven't done once since PD took over. On the flip side the scouting team has a history of being able to identify impact players in the top 5.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just to add to this you are also relying on Pierre Dorion and this front office to actually properly evaluate a high level pro player which they simply haven't done once since PD took over. On the flip side the scouting team has a history of being able to identify impact players in the top 5.

We actually already tried this approach with the Matt Duchene trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad