Thoughts on the Rebuild? PART 3

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know I shouldn't get cocky, but it feels like the Sens are getting under estimated due to people looking at their past seasons rather than the team they have today.
I think people might be under estimating us for a number of reasons.

Its easy to forget we were behind the eightball before the season even started with probably the worst schedule in the league. This year's schedule is actually pretty favourable. I could see a 5-10 pts swing on that alone.

We also were one of only a few teams that got hit with a Covid outbreak before the NHL was willing to postpone games. Unlike some other teams, we had to play games with almost a dozen roster players in Covid protocol. We played 9 or 10 games with at least one player in Covid protocol during that stretch and only won a single game. Not sure how to handicap that but say conservatively we won 4 instead of 1 and that's an extra 6 pts.

Injuries happen, but we got hit bad to key players. How many pts did losing Batherson, Norris and Chabot for extended periods cost us? Probably a few games at worst.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

Its easy to forget we were behind the eightball before the season even started with probably the worst schedule in the league. This year's schedule is actually pretty favourable. I could see a 5-10 pts swing on that alone.

We also were one of only a few teams that got hit with a Covid outbreak before the NHL was willing to postpone games. Unlike some other teams, we had to play games with almost a dozen roster players in Covid protocol. We played 9 or 10 games with at least one player in Covid protocol during that stretch and only won a single game. Not sure how to handicap that but say conservatively we won 4 instead of 1 and that's an extra 6 pts.

Injuries happen, but we got hit bad to key players. How many pts did losing Batherson, Norris and Chabot for extended periods cost us? Probably a few games at worst.
True, even though we weren't a great team last year we weren't even the best version of ourselves due to Batherson, Norris, Chabot and Pinto missing major time (and Forsberg didn't become a good goalie until a couple of months in).

Reactions: DrEasy and Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

True
Bat injury seemed to deflate the group hard
I mean when does an opposite goalie injure an AS game bound player for half a season ?
Luck was not on our side for sure

Reactions: Cosmix

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
We lost our number 2 and 3 centers 5 games in for the season...Injuries tanked us from the start

Zaitsev broke his heel like game 2.
Batherson vs. Dell happened just after Christmas?
Ennis separated his shoulder after the trade deadline.
I literally forgot what happened to Chabot. (Wrist?)

Man. We had Zach Sanford and Josh Brown for 60 games last year and Adam Gaudete for 50. Tierney for 70.

And yet we finished only 9 games below .500 somehow. Absolutely remarkable.

Brady got bit by Brendan Lemieux ffs.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zaitsev broke his heel like game 2.
Batherson vs. Dell happened just after Christmas?
Ennis separated his shoulder after the trade deadline.
I literally forgot what happened to Chabot. (Wrist?)

Man. We had Zach Sanford and Josh Brown for 60 games last year and Adam Gaudete for 50. Tierney for 70.

And yet we finished only 9 games below .500 somehow. Absolutely remarkable.

Brady got bit by Brendan Lemieux ffs.
Yeah Chabot was another he missed I think 30 games total

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We should also note that our schedule is relatively light early one, and gets heavier as the season goes on. We have like 3 back to backs in February or something like that, so if we're talking about pushing for a playoff spot, we kinda have to be ahead of the pack early because our "scheduled losses" are all in the back half of our season.

looks like your crystal ball was tuned in on the correct wavelength

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad