Thoughts on the Jones deal?

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This move pretty much guarantees cap hell for the next ten years and somehow the die hard Stan fans are not outraged at the downright stupidity of all this, not only do you lose Boqvist and 2 1st rounders you handicap the teams cap for fricking ever, I hope you do realize this means no cups for the next 10 years... Wake up people wake the f up..... THIS IS NOT HOW YOU WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Makar just signed for 9 million per... personally I’d pay Makar more than Jones.

I hate the whole thing. I think I’d rather keep the 11 and Boq and next years pick and try to sign Jones as an FA next year. This team isn’t going to win the cup
this year so I don’t know why they’d make the trade then pick a god knows who at 32.

I feel like Bowman is terrible at negotiations ffs just let his father handle the negotiating. His father is highly respected and I feel like Stan isn’t respected at all.

Worst case Ontario *facepalm

his father was a great coach. PERIOD.
He sucked as a GM.

Reactions: BobbyJet

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I'm less concerned with the contract than most. If he's usable it's a bad contract with 3-5 million overpayment. If he's garbage it's awful. If he's the Seth Jones I've watched over the years he's just overpaid in the sense that many are after hitting free agent age.

What it does for me is put all heavily leaning on D drafts/moves for years in perspective. They failed to get guys with the right floor to be impactful a few years in and they also missed on the high ceiling low floor front. Since they apparently can't get it done on D with development/drafting Bowman threw in 1st round draft picks like they're chicken fodder and some of you argue in that ridiculous fashion... It's incompetent, full stop.

By all reports Dallas balked out of the trade talks after the initial asking price (always start high). Bowman was the only one he was bidding against and he was stupid enough to bite at that high price. Columbus had nowhere else to go and somehow the Jackets GM managed to convince Bowman he'd hang it up and sit on Seth for a year if he didn't get two firsts and Boqvist. "But at least we didn't trade Dach!"

Point is, this exhibits Bowman's prior failures at not being able to home grow D when we needed it and also exhibits his inability to negotiate for ****.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
This move pretty much guarantees cap hell for the next ten years and somehow the die hard Stan fans are not outraged at the downright stupidity of all this, not only do you lose Boqvist and 2 1st rounders you handicap the teams cap for fricking ever, I hope you do realize this means no cups for the next 10 years... Wake up people wake the f up..... THIS IS NOT HOW YOU WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Eh, not quite yet but awfully close. Will really depend what happens when Toews/Kane deals expire but a lot of that money may end up being tied up in Dach and Cat if things go well.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Maybe 500k too much on the signing but not really flinching at the trade cost.
I never saw what some of you did in Boqvist. I (my opinion) he was much closer to Rundblad than Coffey.
Weak defensively, weak physically and skated like the ice was slush.
Per talking heads and former NHLers on NHL radio.
Jones is a no doubt #1, probably 15 to 20.
With the scouting what it’s been this year the late 1st may not be worse than 12/11.
The only painful cost was next years 1st since even if you like Boqvist he has no spot with Jones/Murphy on the team.
Not having to give up Reichel was big. … I just learned he played C most of the year and was quite good at it. So Dach - Reichel as the top 2 C’s moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: scorehawks

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Bowman deserves to be fired for other reasons, but the last 24 hours just feels like him pouring gas over the flame.

Don't get me wrong, Seth Jones instantly makes us a lot better next season, but at what cost?
Guess we'll have to wait 5 years to see how that cost pans out.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
On the plus side, it is going to be fun hearing about how ‘my body is a temple’ health-nut Jonathan Toews and anti-vax conspiracy theory lunatic Seth Jones get along.

What a ridiculous comment. Have you never worked with someone who doesn't share your political or personal health views?

I'm pretty sure everybody knows how to get along with somebody in a professional setting even if they don't agree with the person.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
The positive note of this trade lies in "ifs." If we go big in free agency we could have a team and if Jones gets back on the trajectory he was on a few years ago we might have something, dude could fly and I love watching Dmen who can fly.

But, man oh man, it could go real sour real fast with some other "ifs," especially if we don't get a few guys to knock some folks down the depth chart asap.

Reactions: jservs7

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I didn't like much giving up on a 20-year-old Dman though Boqvist had some question marks especially when it comes to concussion history. The overpayment was obvious and the rumoured contract TBA is also not ideal, but Seth does make Hawks far better. I don't think there is any denying that.
The biggest question of all in my mind is: can Stan rebuild on the fly - that is clearly what he is attempting. I have my doubts but would love to be proven wrong.
The options in this poll are too limited for me to choose one.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I wish we could get a break from the failings of Stan Bowman but sadly we have not

Also if you like this trade and extension ,, fine

But dont bitch and moan that most see it for what it is
I'm sure you know that I have been calling to fire Stan for years but it is your overhype of Q and blame of everything on Stan that is the most irritating. Once again black and white with no grey areas. Your overuse of horrendous is quite amusing actually.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think it's funny that so many people are so definite about how this trade works out.

I don't like the trade. As I've said elsewhere I think it burned too much capital and too much coin for a team with too many holes.

But at absolute worst it's 75/25? Number one centers and number one defenseman don't become available very often. Stan is definitely taking a risk. I get the why. I just would have rather eaten all the Vancouver contracts and added the ninth pick for Keith and somebody like Strome/Suter. We should be weaponizing our cap space and acquiring assets. This trade feels premature. Not saying any of this stupid shit like I'm looking for a new team.

You're in or you aren't. No time for fly by night casuals. Anyone who reacts like that I know didn't appreciate the past decade as much as I did.

100% agree with this.

Also, I remember how dominant Seth was in the play-offs against TB and TOR the year before.

CCook37

Jun 11, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hated the trade at first, I am more ok with the trade itself. The AAV is high though. If Jones returns to what he was, this is a no brainer. time will tell.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
On the plus side, it is going to be fun hearing about how ‘my body is a temple’ health-nut Jonathan Toews and anti-vax conspiracy theory lunatic Seth Jones get along.
I’d have to guess, based on hockey culture, Toews has shared a locker room with dozens upon dozens far right wing nuts.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
There is an idea of a Seth Jones.
Some kind of abstraction.
Only an entity-- something illusory.
And though he can hide his floater ways...
and you can poke his stick and feel his touching yours...
and maybe you can even sense your playstyles are probably comparable,
He is simply not elite.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Your post pretty much guaranteed diarrhea...

Reactions: ChiHawks10

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
If Jones doesn’t regain his form as a #1 Dman and Allan becomes a 3rd pair Defensive-Dman (which seems to be the most likely scenario right now), this could end up being one the most lopsided trades in NHL history. We know what Boqvist has the potential to be, combine that with the kid they got at 12 and a potentially high pick next year….yikes.
No, no and no! And shut up no. The deal was normal assets to obtain a #1 defenseman. AAV sounds horrible, but in three years it will look normal. Six year term would have been normal. But the eight years at Seth's age is palatable Seabrook's never was from day one.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad