Thoughts on the CBJ Name?

If the Blue Jackets rebranded would you be destroyed as a fan?

• Total voters

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’m all for a rebrand .. name is fine .. 3rd jerseys and color scheme should be new color scheme . Ditch the red . Use this new coaching change/ hopefully Jones as captain , as a launch of a new era of Blue Jacket hockey . This is the finest attempt I’ve seen yet on the Jerseys .

Attachments

• D74CB63C-A937-4B26-B09C-7FCB0EC86930.jpeg
    D74CB63C-A937-4B26-B09C-7FCB0EC86930.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: majormajor

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Is it though? In both cases I read about people claiming their history is being taken away. That is the comparison I’m making.

Yes. The 2 situations have so little in common and it's such a terrible analogy that I'm not even sure where to begin - so I guess I'll just excuse myself from this thread.

Reactions: Moch Daear

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Juxtaposing this topic against the Crew is difficult because I feel like, even among die-hard fans of the CBJ, the name and the logos and the colors have been received with a resounding "OK I guess." In general, fans of the Jackets don't have the same positive feeling about the name and branding as Crew fans.

Reactions: Viqsi and koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
1) Mostly just a little ball-busting, IBM, because I know it doesn't hassle you. I always appreciate your willingness to remain engaged and not defensive when I go on one of my "DSL is gonna ask some questions" sprees.
2) You have to admit the language in this thread is a little leading, I'm sure based on your reaction to the Crew news.
3) I am not a die-hard Crew supporter. I'm glad the team didn't leave but I am not a frequent attender nor a member of any supporter's group.
4) I did meet a lot of those hardcore supporters during the "Save the Crew" stuff because I wrote a couple stories about it. The dudes seemed genuine but yes there was, from some, a little bit of a sense of self-importance. You probably wouldn't recall but I hassled the "protest Howson" crew (in fun, mostly) on here for the same reason.
5) I appreciate you taking my somewhat off-topic question and appreciate that others have stuck to the topic, which In will now also.

Not a problem. I'm always willing to look at both sides of a conflict and trying to understand both sides while having open discussion about it. I don't like jumping to rash conclusions and it did rub me where people are threatening to boycott the team of a name.

I do think the new logo is pretty terrible but I also think some of the fan reaction is overblown. Maybe my wording was a little over the top but I'm curious if CBJ fans would react in the same way. So far it seems like the answer is mostly no.

I'll gladly protest ownership and management if I don't like how the team direction is headed. I was all on board with it during the Howson era. I'm also of the opinion as a Crew supporter, although not as die hard as the CBJ, that this new ownership and management has not made a bad decision so far so I'm willing to trust what they are doing for the growth of the team and the brand while the MLS struggles to find its place as a major sport in the USA and around the world.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yes. The 2 situations have so little in common and it's such a terrible analogy that I'm not even sure where to begin - so I guess I'll just excuse myself from this thread.
Depends which points you choose to focus on. On the single point I mentioned they are absolutely commonalities. Maybe you haven't read some of the same things I have. No matter if you talk about the Crew name or a Confederate flag, both have people talking about respecting history and the past. The only real difference is one side is about a really ugly time in our country's history and the other is just a name of a sports team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Or it could be this...Blue Jacket - Wikipedia

Can't remember the exact reason for the name selection. I think I have heard both bandied about.
This regularly suggested theory can be easily disproved by looking at the original version of the Stinger logo when they were considering making it the main crest, and looking at what he's wearing.

0714-cbj-loh3jpg.jpg

(Reference: Designing the ’90s NHL, Part 2: Expansion & Relocation — icethetics.co)

Kepi and Union Army jacket. Circa 1997.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm not going to answer the poll question but if the team changed their name I would still be a fan of the team but I would choose not to reward the team financially by buying any of the new swag. I'd prefer to keep wearing the old school gear.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The only real difference is one side is about a really ugly time in our country's history and the other is just a name of a sports team.

I just think there's a better way to say "These Crew fans are over the top" than to compare them to bigots. Maybe it's just me.

EDIT: That doesn't even accurately reflect my main issue here, which is that in making this comparison it's marginalizing the importance of tearing down the statues. Which is extremely important. I'll put the lid back on the can of worms now, I'm not trying to derail the thread based on your one single sentence.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I just think there's a better way to say "These Crew fans are over the top" than to compare them to bigots. Maybe it's just me.

EDIT: That doesn't even accurately reflect my main issue here, which is that in making this comparison it's marginalizing the importance of tearing down the statues. Which is extremely important. I'll put the lid back on the can of worms now, I'm not trying to derail the thread based on your one single sentence.
Fair enough, but again, it is all perspective. The intent is not to marginalize an important issue, the intent is to show the over-importance the other side is showing in their name issue because both sides reacted with outrage. Is the glass half full or half empty? it is all which piece you choose to focus on.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Fair enough, but again, it is all perspective. The intent is not to marginalize an important issue, the intent is to show the over-importance the other side is showing in their name issue because both sides reacted with outrage. Is the glass half full or half empty? it is all which piece you choose to focus on.

I'm not comfortable choosing to ignore what you're characterizing simply as "glass half empty" - it doesn't really matter what your intent is, the result is the same. And I think calling this sort of thing out everywhere, even on HFB, is important.

With that I'll be done. Carry on talking about the Crew, which I could not care less about :)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not comfortable choosing to ignore what you're characterizing simply as "glass half empty" - it doesn't really matter what your intent is, the result is the same. And I think calling this sort of thing out everywhere, even on HFB, is important.

With that I'll be done. Carry on talking about the Crew, which I could not care less about :)
And we can respectfully disagree. I welcome civil conversation about opposing viewpoints on topics which is something greatly lacking in the world. I feel like we are on the same side of the issue but are getting caught up in the minutia of the context.

Reactions: Monk

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Juxtaposing this topic against the Crew is difficult because I feel like, even among die-hard fans of the CBJ, the name and the logos and the colors have been received with a resounding "OK I guess." In general, fans of the Jackets don't have the same positive feeling about the name and branding as Crew fans.

I think that may have been more accurate pre-2007. Since then, we've added a cannon to the arena and third jerseys, embraced the Ohio flag as the primary logo, our slogans have been much more in line with the Civil War theme (Carry the Flag, Join the Battle, March with Us, Defend NWA, compared to early-season Jackets Time, Ignite the Night, All Out All Season). There are blogs such as First Ohio Battery.

The cannon is probably the most popular in-game entertainment feature. It's famous around the league and other teams hate it (which is great). It'd have to go away completely (or would not make any sense/be completely out of place) if we rebranded.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I love our jersey it`s one of the beautiful in NHL. The name of the club is ideal because everybody must be proud of good events in his history and I don`t see any reason to change this name only for rebuilding.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
And to think that someone was paid a boatload of money to design THAT. That's about as imaginative as the Liberty Mutual jingle "Liberty, Liberty, Liberty LIBERTY!!!"
Do you remember the time Nationwide ditched the N with the eagle , for a square :help:. They went back after couple years . The Liberty commercial may not be that bad though if your remembering it .

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm going to be honest, I don't hate this now that I see it on a shirt.

Is it the greatest? No. Was the old one the greatest? No. But this isn't as bad as everyone is claiming.

thumb.aspx

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I also think a bigger tragedy than taking the word "Crew" officially out of the name is wearing those yellow shorts with the new grey jersey. It looks hideous. The black shorts belong with that shirt.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm going to be honest, I don't hate this now that I see it on a shirt.

Is it the greatest? No. Was the old one the greatest? No. But this isn't as bad as everyone is claiming.

thumb.aspx

Sorry, man but this logo is absolutely hideous on anything it touches.

It’s been days and I still cannot get over how this made it anywhere past the concept stage.

This is a “New Coke” level rebranding blunder and the only thing global about it will be the number of design/marketing classes around the world that use it as an example of what not to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad