Thoughts on the CBJ Name?

If the Blue Jackets rebranded would you be destroyed as a fan?

• Total voters

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So with all the uproar I'm seeing from Crew supporters over a name, would you react the same if the Blue Jackets decided to "rebrand?" Soccer fans around the world seem to be a unique bunch to put it bluntly so I'm curious of what hockey fans would think if the CBJ did something similar.

For me personally a name is just a name and I simply care about having a team on the ice. I've never been a huge fan of the Blue Jackets name and wouldn't be torn up if they ever decided to change it. I became a full season ticket holder for the Crew once they were saved and that will probably end after this year due to the massive increase in full season ticket prices in the new stadium. That makes me more upset than removing "Crew" from the name.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
It's a league-wide pattern, no? With Montreal rebranding the same way, and pretty much all new teams as of late have standard soccer nomenclature. Seems like it's what the MLS wants as an attempt to market the league out of the continent. Unlike the other US major leagues the MLS is B-tier in its sport and the usual way of naming teams (city name followed by a corporate mascot/nickname) is not common in most of the world.

At the end of the day the CBJ franchise is a corporate product that hardly transcends the test of time. Would I be mildly annoyed if it were renamed? Yes. Would I get over it by the time the puck dropped for the first time under the new time? Also yes.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I grew up with the Blue Jackets and I'd like for that to stay.

Would I be heartbroken if they changed everything? No. Would I care the same amount? Yes. But would I prefer to keep things the same? Yes. Unquestionably.

I like the logos. I like the jerseys. I like the mascot. We're fine.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Columbus Cannons would be cool. Make the third sweater the main one. Keep firing the cannon. Keep the Kepi. Bring back Boomer.

I was on board with the Mad Cows when the Other Paper was promoting that when we got the franchise. I’d be fine with that. Fire a dude in a cow costume out of a cannon while Leo sings “and the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air”.

If some market research firm comes up with the Columbus Trendy Names, I’ll pass.

The Crew and the Blue Jackets are both pretty stupid names, but they are our stupid names. We like stupid team names in this state for some reason. Browns. Red Stockings. Zips. Heck, the Columbus NFL team was the Panhandles and the Dayton NFL team was the Triangles. There is a long proud tradition of bad sports team names.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yes.

While I enjoy the Crew and watch most of their games I’m not a die hard like I am for the Jackets. That said, after the Save The Crew movement its absurd to me how those in charge actually think it’s a wise idea to change the name. Talk about alienating those who got you here.

And don’t get me started on that new logo. My god is it awful.

Haslams and Edwards have done a lot right but this is a horrendous tone deaf whiff. And to do this after winning a championship.

I feel for those fans.

Reactions: Moch Daear

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Honestly think ”Columbus Bluejackets” is one of the best team names in the League. It’s traditional, it’s fun to say but also beliveable.

Don’t like the main jerseys, but they have one of the best alt. jerseys in the league that also fits their name better imo, so why just not use that as a home jersey full time, and have a white away version of it, and red/blue version for third?

Reactions: LJ7201 and EspenK

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
If they want to change the CBJ name out for "Columbus HC" and change the C to some sort of Cleveland Baseball Team C mixed with Columbus Baseball Team C, I think I'd be as wound up as I am about the stupid idea to change the Crew team name.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
The way things are going all team nicknames will be eliminated in favor of generic initials SC, FT, etc. Barf.

Uniform tweaks (like the recent Blue Pants change, which I think was a hit) are OK with me as it keeps things fresh. However, changing the team identity for the sake of a money grab is an entirely different thing.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just IBM checking to see if we’re “entitled”?

If you want my honest opinion, I believe there is a section for the Crew fanbase (maybe you are one of them, maybe you are not) that feels entitled and believes just because of the save the crew movement that they think management should listen to every thing they want.

I also believe Columbus sports fans have an inferiority complex when it comes to OSU football (and in the case of MLS, being a 2nd/3rd tier professional league looking for legitimacy around the world) and can't handle when things are going right and just need something to complain about.

Did the Crew win a championship last year? Yes
Are they probably the most talented team in the league? yes
Are they getting a phenomenal new stadium downtown? yes
Do I have to stop calling them the Crew because someone changed a "label?" No. Arsenal fans call the the the Gunners even though it isn't in the official name. People will get over it.
Do I have anything else to complain about surrounding them team? No

Do I think there is a section of the fanbase acting like a bunch of people from Georgia who just had their confederate statue taken away? yes.

If people want to be unhappy about it, so be it but the fact that people are harassing and threatening team employees over this is not cool when everything else about this team is the best it has ever been.

Now back to the original topic, My suspicion is that we have plenty of other things to b*tch about regarding the CBJ so people might not care as much if they decided to slip a name change in there along with it all. A name is just a name in my opinion and I'll hope for success of either team regardless if their name is Crew, Blue Jackets or Kevin. It doesn't erase team history in any way.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Blue Jackets name is a salute to all of the soldiers who fought and gave their lives in the Civil War. In reality, it is not just a name but something with more meaning. Those who fought to help provide freedom for others. Probably the one names you do not change.

Reactions: CBJx614 and LJ7201

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Blue Jackets name is a salute to all of the soldiers who fought and gave their lives in the Civil War. In reality, it is not just a name but something with more meaning. Those who fought to help provide freedom for others. Probably the one names you do not change.

Or it could be this...Blue Jacket - Wikipedia

Can't remember the exact reason for the name selection. I think I have heard both bandied about.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The Monsters did the same thing after they won the Calder Cup. They were no longer Lake Erie. They changed to Cleveland because they thought people wouldn't know they were from Cleveland, even though the jerseys had Cleveland written under the logo. They also made the Cavs colors more prominent. A lot of people complained, but they got over it.

I was disappointed because the Lake Erie name made more sense because of the myth with the Lake Erie monster, but I was more disappointed with the color change. I was hoping they would either adopt their own colors, or use the Blue Jacket colors, which they do on an alternate jersey. But for the most part, I just wanted a hockey team and couldn't care less what they call themselves or what colors they use.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What an odd comparison.

And I can't really bring myself to vote on this since it's such a leading question.
Is it though? In both cases I read about people claiming their history is being taken away. That is the comparison I’m making.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The Monsters did the same thing after they won the Calder Cup. They were no longer Lake Erie. They changed to Cleveland because they thought people wouldn't know they were from Cleveland, even though the jerseys had Cleveland written under the logo. They also made the Cavs colors more prominent. A lot of people complained, but they got over it.

I was disappointed because the Lake Erie name made more sense because of the myth with the Lake Erie monster, but I was more disappointed with the color change. I was hoping they would either adopt their own colors, or use the Blue Jacket colors, which they do on an alternate jersey. But for the most part, I just wanted a hockey team and couldn't care less what they call themselves or what colors they use.

I was mad at this name change. Lake Erie Monsters is much cooler. But they are still my favorite AHL team.

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I was mad at this name change. Lake Erie Monsters is much cooler. But they are still my favorite AHL team.

I certainly like Lake Erie better than Cleveland. I just think it makes more sense considering the legend the name originated on. I don't know of any monsters that actually allegedly live in the Cleveland city limits but I get it and as long as the team is there and affiliated with the CBJ I'll call them whatever they want me to call them.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you want my honest opinion, I believe there is a section for the Crew fanbase (maybe you are one of them, maybe you are not) that feels entitled and believes just because of the save the crew movement that they think management should listen to every thing they want.

I also believe Columbus sports fans have an inferiority complex when it comes to OSU football (and in the case of MLS, being a 2nd/3rd tier professional league looking for legitimacy around the world) and can't handle when things are going right and just need something to complain about.

Did the Crew win a championship last year? Yes
Are they probably the most talented team in the league? yes
Are they getting a phenomenal new stadium downtown? yes
Do I have to stop calling them the Crew because someone changed a "label?" No. Arsenal fans call the the the Gunners even though it isn't in the official name. People will get over it.
Do I have anything else to complain about surrounding them team? No

Do I think there is a section of the fanbase acting like a bunch of people from Georgia who just had their confederate statue taken away? yes.

If people want to be unhappy about it, so be it but the fact that people are harassing and threatening team employees over this is not cool when everything else about this team is the best it has ever been.

Now back to the original topic, My suspicion is that we have plenty of other things to b*tch about regarding the CBJ so people might not care as much if they decided to slip a name change in there along with it all. A name is just a name in my opinion and I'll hope for success of either team regardless if their name is Crew, Blue Jackets or Kevin. It doesn't erase team history in any way.

1) Mostly just a little ball-busting, IBM, because I know it doesn't hassle you. I always appreciate your willingness to remain engaged and not defensive when I go on one of my "DSL is gonna ask some questions" sprees.
2) You have to admit the language in this thread is a little leading, I'm sure based on your reaction to the Crew news.
3) I am not a die-hard Crew supporter. I'm glad the team didn't leave but I am not a frequent attender nor a member of any supporter's group.
4) I did meet a lot of those hardcore supporters during the "Save the Crew" stuff because I wrote a couple stories about it. The dudes seemed genuine but yes there was, from some, a little bit of a sense of self-importance. You probably wouldn't recall but I hassled the "protest Howson" crew (in fun, mostly) on here for the same reason.
5) I appreciate you taking my somewhat off-topic question and appreciate that others have stuck to the topic, which In will now also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad