Thoughts on the CBJ Name?

If the Blue Jackets rebranded would you be destroyed as a fan?

• Total voters

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Sorry, man but this logo is absolutely hideous on anything it touches.

It’s been days and I still cannot get over how this made it anywhere past the concept stage.

This is a “New Coke” level rebranding blunder and the only thing global about it will be the number of design/marketing classes around the world that use it as an example of what not to do.

It's the Tacoma Narrows Bridge of rebrands.

552288c1ba3edd1e84de18740b2ed681.gif

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Sorry, man but this logo is absolutely hideous on anything it touches.

It’s been days and I still cannot get over how this made it anywhere past the concept stage.

This is a “New Coke” level rebranding blunder and the only thing global about it will be the number of design/marketing classes around the world that use it as an example of what not to do.
It's not as bad as you say it is but I get that people in Columbus are offended on principle and would hate any logo that doesn't include the word "Crew". I know it isn't "great" but it isn't terrible. I think our original ribbon "CBJ" logo with Stinger on the shoulders was worse but we lived with it for a number of years.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's not as bad as you say it is but I get that people in Columbus are offended on principle and would hate any logo that doesn't include the word "Crew". I know it isn't "great" but it isn't terrible. I think our original ribbon "CBJ" logo with Stinger on the shoulders was worse but we lived with it for a number of years.

Didn’t like that logo either but this is a whole new level of suck IMO. But beauty/eye of beholder...

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Who says the future can't be predicted?

Below is a hard lesson on what happens when you don't listen to consumer input. It's a very well put together report/review of the proposed Crew rebranding from two Nordecke members who were told of this under an NDA a few months before launch.

Likely Response: Negative to catastrophic, with extensive criticism from Crew supporters, nearly all fans league wide in MLS, and the vast majority of soccer media (journalists/bloggers/podcasts).

I hope the CBJ are taking note which to their credit they did when fans, especially on this board, were clamoring (begging?) for a cannon.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Who says the future can't be predicted?

Below is a hard lesson on what happens when you don't listen to consumer input. It's a very well put together report/review of the proposed Crew rebranding from two Nordecke members who were told of this under an NDA a few months before launch.

I hope the CBJ are taking note which to their credit they did when fans, especially on this board, were clamoring (begging?) for a cannon.

Here are my honest question on this.

Who created this document? The 2 members who were involved in the process and under a NDA that they could not discuss with anyone? Is this their personal opinions? What is their background in marketing? Were they given any information on opinions and thoughts of people who are not as hardcore as the Nordecke? Page 16 is cut off and I don't see any credit given or sources cited.

What I see is a 16 page document where they take 14 pages to talk about how much they hate it and 2 to recommend changes to make branding successful. One of those pages focuses on removing SC so the name goes back to what it used to be in the past.

Maybe I have some misconceptions here but I'd like to understand what research they put into this? As the Nordeke, are they trying to speak on behalf of all fans or just themselves? If they are being vocal and only speaking for themselves that is fine but for myself as a less than die hard fan who still buys tickets and merchandise for the team I don't speaking for me. It would be like the Jacket Backers (Is that still a group?) trying to speak on behalf of all fans when voicing their opinions about the CBJ.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Here are my honest question on this.

Who created this document? The 2 members who were involved in the process and under a NDA that they could not discuss with anyone? Is this their personal opinions? What is their background in marketing? Were they given any information on opinions and thoughts of people who are not as hardcore as the Nordecke? Page 16 is cut off and I don't see any credit given or sources cited.

What I see is a 16 page document where they take 14 pages to talk about how much they hate it and 2 to recommend changes to make branding successful. One of those pages focuses on removing SC so the name goes back to what it used to be in the past.

Maybe I have some misconceptions here but I'd like to understand what research they put into this? As the Nordeke, are they trying to speak on behalf of all fans or just themselves? If they are being vocal and only speaking for themselves that is fine but for myself as a less than die hard fan who still buys tickets and merchandise for the team I don't speaking for me. It would be like the Jacket Backers (Is that still a group?) trying to speak on behalf of all fans when voicing their opinions about the CBJ.

Not hard to find where this came from:

EDIT: Did a little more digging and the two who did this were via Twitter -- @TheFlaskandPen
and @C_Campisano. One says he is a "into marketing" and one is a "lawyer-nerd." Oh, and both are followed by Dr. Edwards while Bezbatchenko also follows the lawyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
All a bunch of marketing tripe IMO. I've never been enamored with Bluejackets, but it is what it is.

It wouldn't accomplish one thing in attracting new fans. While it probably would antagonize long term fans, I doubt it would cause more than a few to abandon the product. It would create a (presumably) new market for those who buy all of the paraphernalia. Had to look up the spelling on that one.

The Cincinnati Cyclones changed their logo from an awesome cartoon character to an absurd corporate logo. I assume it created more sales of the junk, but I don't know that for a fact.

cincinnati cyclones logos - Google Search

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Stolen from r/CBJ ...

mqvfdx395ey61.jpg

I saw that a day or two ago and it took me until reading through this thread to figure out what was going on.

Can anyone offer an explanation for the little triangle at the bottom right? I can't figure it out.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The Crew and the Blue Jackets are both pretty stupid names, but they are our stupid names. We like stupid team names in this state for some reason. Browns. Red Stockings. Zips. Heck, the Columbus NFL team was the Panhandles and the Dayton NFL team was the Triangles. There is a long proud tradition of bad sports team names.

Don't forget about these guys!

92ohiglo.png

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
All a bunch of marketing tripe IMO. I've never been enamored with Bluejackets, but it is what it is.

It wouldn't accomplish one thing in attracting new fans. While it probably would antagonize long term fans, I doubt it would cause more than a few to abandon the product. It would create a (presumably) new market for those who buy all of the paraphernalia. Had to look up the spelling on that one.

The Cincinnati Cyclones changed their logo from an awesome cartoon character to an absurd corporate logo. I assume it created more sales of the junk, but I don't know that for a fact.

cincinnati cyclones logos - Google Search

4CFD729A-F68A-4BF4-A9CB-32F75CD5C4D5.jpeg

I have this one and love it.

Reactions: Nanabijou

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I remember most people having a "WTF" look on their face when Blue Jackets was announced as the team nickname. I was the same way, but it has grown on me over the years and today I think it's fine. I think the "C-B-J', "C-B-J" chant is the best in hockey so it led to that.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I feel like there's a relevant turn of events up in Cleveland? As a longtime Cleveland baseball fan, I am very happy that their name is changing.

That name is definitely changing for what to me is a legit reason, and the Jackets aren't dealing with that kind of scrutiny. But it does reveal to me that the "brand" of pro sports franchises are not sacred cows.

To me, the connection to the city that hosts these businesses is the most important thing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like there's a relevant turn of events up in Cleveland? As a longtime Cleveland baseball fan, I am very happy that their name is changing.

That name is definitely changing for what to me is a legit reason, and the Jackets aren't dealing with that kind of scrutiny. But it does reveal to me that the "brand" of pro sports franchises are not sacred cows.

To me, the connection to the city that hosts these businesses is the most important thing.

Yes it's funny how quickly everyone goes from "Never!" to "ooh I like 'Spiders'" or "I like Naps".

I do feel attached to the Blue Jackets name, and there isn't any need to mess with it, but if there was we'd probably come around.

You know which franchises should be having this name change convo? Our expansion brethren, the Wild and the Predators. Those are the worst team names in my book. The late 90s were a rough time for team names and I feel like the Jackets luckily managed to escape that with something kind of classy. We did get stuck with the whole angry bug thing though...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
When I think of the soccer team in Columbus, I think Crew. Whenever I think or talk about the Jackets, it's the Jackets, no second thoughts.

Rebranding is usually a mistake, unless there is consensus beforehand. Remember Coke rebranding it's recipe, which is different than a logo or uniform, but what a mistake.

The Jackets Christmas tree logo to the current logo was a good move imo, especially losing the bug off the shoulder.. The canon third jersey could morph into a new logo with little objection, most likely. I really like d the look of the blue pants with the third jersey. That third jersey sure needs a white road jersey.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Columbus SC to me seems like some town in South Carolina - and that's from someone who watches European soccer. I'm used to those types of names in Europe for soccer and hockey teams. But still I don't think in the US it works to have teams with those types of names and there should be some sort of team name. I don't think it's as clear about what the team is and the meaning.

I'd probably be irked about any renaming of the Jackets, but it depends on why. I'm not happy with the Toledo Walleye and why they couldn't just have used Toledo Storm again as well.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
You know which franchises should be having this name change convo? Our expansion brethren, the Wild and the Predators. Those are the worst team names in my book. The late 90s were a rough time for team names and I feel like the Jackets luckily managed to escape that with something kind of classy. We did get stuck with the whole angry bug thing though...
I certainly agree with the Wild being a terrible name..but I feel like the Preds name, color scheme, and brand have been executed very well.

In fact, upon attending a game there I think CBJ game ops could learn a lot from them.

Reactions: Viqsi

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Blue Jackets is a great name.

The branding around it has been garbage for the team’s entire history. Enough looking like a Fourth of July party.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Looks like they had productive discussions and came to an amicable resolution. I still feel people over-exaggerated in their reaction but I'm glad it has been resolved. I don't care what they are called. I was always going to call them the Crew regardless of what the official name is. That is how nicknames work. I'm frankly more concerned with their play on the field right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad