Thoughts on the Carolina Hurricanes?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Czarchuk, Aug 20, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Czarchuk

Czarchuk Go Flames Go!

:canes

Thoughts on this team?

They've made some good moves, signing Darling and giving him the opportunity to shine as a #1 goaltender.

Aho and TT are really good wingers

Slavin and Pesce are pretty awesome defenseman, topped off with Hanifin and Faulk making a solid young top 4 group.

They just need a 1C.

2. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

They're a bunch of rakish dandies.

Surrounded By Ahos likes this.
  3. Mikeyg

Mikeyg Registered User

IMO they are the nashville of like 5-7 years ago. Good team but theres just no x factor to speak of. I'm not trying to diss the team or anything, but I seriously don't think that anyone looks at the schedule and says "oh i'm scared to play the hurricanes". I don't think scotty is even an average number 1, imo hes probably around 25th in the league which isn't bad at all. Like all things though, we'll know what he is after being a real starter for a whole season, right now its just guess work. Basically, to sum up my feelings towards the canes, i'd call them a good team, but I don't see them contenting for anything meaningful at all really. I have this discussion a lot with people, but if you look at all the cup winners of the past 10/15 years, they all have big x factors that push that team over the hump. The canes don't have anything like that at all really. They have lots of good quality players though.

4. Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne Formerly Avsare1

Jaccob Slavin could very well be that player.

5. DrJustice

DrJustice Registered User

Potential to be a very good team but are in a tough spot due to the Division they are in. Pens, Caps, Jackets, Rangers and even Philly are going to be tough to deal with even with the solid team they currently have. If they make the playoffs this year it will be a real statement that they are for real, and that they are here to stay.

6. Goldeneye

Goldeneye Winnipeg Jets

Either they get in, or they just miss. Bubble team.

Defense is easily good enough. Darling-Ward is an upgrade over Ward-Lack. Williams and Kruger bring some much needed experience.

It'll just come down to their offense. They have to find a way to turn those tight games in their favor.

Aho, Rask, Lindholm and TT play a huge role in that. You know what you're getting from Skinner, Staal, Williams, Stempniak etc. but those young guys have to take a step forward for this team to make it. Even if just 2 of those 4 guys break out for 60 pts, it'll improve their chances significantly.

Good thing for them is they're headed in a positive direction. Caps taking a big step backwards possibly opens up the door, but we'll see.

7. Mr Positive

Mr Positive Cap Crunch Incoming

they are in the toughest division in hockey so it's not going to be easy for them

Although you never know. Things can change fast nowadays. Maybe the Caps and Rangers have lost a step, or anyone really

8. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

Slavin is a fine player, but he's not going to be a Karlsson (or even Doughty) level game changer from the back end.

The X factor they need would be a top-end center. They have forward talent in spots, but not of the caliber than can totally take over a game and force matchups. Basically we need another young Eric Staal.

9. Muston Atthews

Muston Atthews Bunch of Bangerz

They have a silly name

10. boredmale

boredmale Registered User Sponsor

My 2 cents is people are overrating how good they will be this year. I think defensemen under 24 usually are over rated on the basis what they will be in a few years and I am not sold on their forwards(it's ok but just seems to be lacking that big name forward)

11. ijuka

ijuka Registered User

Very underestimated. They might even make playoffs.

Sebastian Aho.

12. Hagged

Hagged Registered User

Aho is a better shooting Saku Koivu without the knee problems. If he stays relatively healthy I could see him being among the top3 Finns all time.

A lot of people will be surprised when Aho reaches his full potential.

13. East Coast Icestyle

East Coast Icestyle Registered User Sponsor

I think the defenseman is great, but outside of Skinner, nothing very wow up front. I know they have a lot of good young forwards though, so who knows.

I just wouldn't put a solid bet on any Of The young forwards yet. No telling how Aho could be, but I am not sure he will be A Star. First line player is well within reach though. Landeskog/Palat tier? Better? No clue. Probably their best bet though. Would rather they had a great upcoming centre though.

14. ijuka

ijuka Registered User

Sebastian Aho can play center and the management has said they see him as a center so...

Here's something: https://www.canescountry.com/2017/3...nes-sebastian-aho-could-be-a-franchise-center

15. HisIceness

HisIceness Optimistic Canes fan

I :heart: this team.

They should rename themselves the Bobcats :sarcasm:

16. LeafFever

LeafFever Registered User

They will make the playoffs this year imo.

17. Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels Registered User

18. The Great Schlemko

The Great Schlemko "The Food Will Be Better"

That top 4 is awesome. That forward group is not awesome.

19. LordNeverLose

LordNeverLose Registered User

Not a playoff team IMO.

Outstanding D but the forwards are lacking and I'm not sure why people are expecting Darling to be a huge improvement in goal.

20. East Coast Icestyle

East Coast Icestyle Registered User Sponsor

It's great they view him that way, but the NHL is very different from other leagues. Centre is one of the hardest positions, and something as simple as faceoffs against other top NHL players can be enough to kill the idea.

If he works out, awesome, and I'm very happy for you guys, you could be an exciting team in the near future. For now, as an outsider, im sceptical about this, and the 'franchise centre' title was enough to make me back away a bit. Every team will do this with their best young players, but the future probably lies further than the hype with most.

21. firstemperor

firstemperor Registered User

One of the best young up and coming teams in the league IMO. Always draft well. Lack forward depth but probably the best young D core moving forward in the league.

Could make the playoffs and snag a wildcard spot- and surprise teams. Anything less than a borderline playoff team would be a disappointment next year, IMO.

22. Morgs

Morgs #16 #29 #34 #44 #91

They're going to be a top-3 team in the Metropolitan Division.

23. DominicBoltsFan

DominicBoltsFan Advanced stats are good!

High school student
    In a few years this team will be fire, for now they are a promising young team. I have them near the playoffs but on the outside looking in.

24. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Likely never played

National media darlings who are overrated because they are from the south and have no rival fans to call their players the bums that they rightfully are.

But seriously? Depth but not enough star power. The person who said Nashville of 5-7 years ago is correct. They're probably good enough to get in the playoffs, maybe even be a 5-6 seed, but they might not have enough offense to take the next step. They need a top scorer. I'm not convinced that absolutely HAS to be a center, but they need a 70-point type forward.

Very, very sound defensive team though. Fun to watch, in an unconventional way. I doubt anybody on this message board would qualify them as being a "fast" team, but Sidney Crosby said in the games they played each other he considered the Canes to be the fastest team he'd played against last year. They just utilize their speed to clamp down defensively.

I did a quick calculation in another thread that had the Canes gotten league-average goaltending last year they would have allowed 202 goals, which. I believe would have put them 5th or 6th in the league in terms of goals allowed. The defense and the system is that good. When they're "on," rolling lines and executing their system, they are really, really tough to beat. If Darling turns out to be halfway decent, IMO this is a playoff team that could win a first round. Maybe even more depending on if they picked up a forward at the trade deadline.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  25. Weissy Baby

Weissy Baby Registered User

The Carolina Hurricanes to me is a very meh team. I don't think it would be out of line to suggest that at this time the franchise has no star players. They kind of remind me of Atlanta/ Winnipeg around the time when they moved when they were pretty young, but had a couple of veterans that had some name recognition, but not a lot and were not a bad team but also not a particularly good team. Aho and Mr. Game Seven are about the only highlights on offense since Skinner, Staal, Rask etc. don't seem to have reached their potential that was expected when they were younger. They seem to have a good young defensive core, but probably not good enough to make up for the lack of offense. Darling was a serviceable back-up to Crawford in Chicago but he has to prove himself to be an NHL starter this season. If he can't I don't expect an aging Cam Ward to be a difference maker.

The other issue with the Hurricanes is that I can't see them raising their game and beating anyone else in the division who finished ahead of them last season. Maybe the Rangers and Islanders take a step or two backwards, but I don't see them hanging with Pittsburgh, Washington, Columbus, or even Philadelphia in the division standings. The best they can hope for is that the Atlantic is brutal again next year and the Hurricanes can steal the second wildcard spot. But I can't see that happening. If I was a Hurricanes fan I would be worried that this core is destined to always be in the "not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to get a lottery pick" zone.

Predictions:
    Division: 6th (Metro)
    Playoffs: N/A
    Most Surprising Player: Noah Hanifin
    Most Disappointing Player: Trevor Van Riemsdyk