Thoughts on the Calgary Flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I think they'll do better than most think.
I think the big thing is if Bennett breaks out. If he does, that's a lethal offense to go along with a lethal defense. Looking at it on paper of course. Could go a long way if Smith can provide at least average goaltending. Need some consistency at that position.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Their D was horrible for the first quarter of the season and I don't see that happening again. With the addition of Hamonic but more importantly the subtraction of Wideman I see this D corps holding the team together if their offence struggles out of the gate.

The offence is the biggest question mark. As much as I would like to see Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik which was one of the best even strength lines in the league last year, I see them breaking it up to give Bennett a little more support on the third line. They may not have truly elite talent, save for Johhny Hockey on some nights, but they'll have enough punch to win games. Ferland is one of the biggest keys. If he's going to slot in as the 1st line RW he needs to be consistent which will be tough because he is not truly a first liner. Really hope he can carve out what Maroon has in EDM.

Goaltending should be solid with improved D. As long as Smith and Lack are middle of the pack we will be in a good position!

Overall I really like this team. It won't challenge for the cup but certainly a playoff team with 2nd round aspirations. Anything less is a disappointment imo.

I see them comfortably 3rd in the Pacific with a chance at 2nd over the Ducks.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
They should sign Jagr

Please Treliving.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr

Is low key a very good top 9. The 4th line is still bad but at least it's not both Bouma & Brouwer on the wings.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Deep team that can easily get a Pacific Division spot if they find their chemistry earlier this season than last season.

If they don't and Gulutzen doesn't learn from last season they could be a WC team or worse but I see them 2nd or 3rd in the pacific.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It's all going to come down to their goaltending. Defense should (god help us if it isn't) be better than last year. Offense is still lacking a bit. If Smith does really well, watch the **** out. If he and Lack collapse, watch the **** out.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Please Treliving.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr

Is low key a very good top 9. The 4th line is still bad but at least it's not both Bouma & Brouwer on the wings.

I'd make a slight tweak.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - Jagr
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
My thoughts as a Flames Fan:

-Giordano-Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik-Hamilton... this five man unit could carry us to the playoffs single-handedly. That's how good they are.

- Special teams could be a strength. It took some time for everyone to adjust to the new coach, but the results were there when they did. After November 15th (or the one month mark of the season) our PP was 6th best and our PK was 6th best.

- I don't have a clue what to expect from goaltending but I like that there is flexibility for Tyler Parsons or David Rittich to come in and steal the net in the future if Smith falters, and I like that Smith is a puck mover.

= Gaudreau is due for a huge season if Micheal Ferland is on his wing all season. Those two along with Monahan had the kind of scoring line chemistry he's been missing since Hudler.

- Gulutzan has really toned down the stretch passing. I kind of miss it because it was crazy how many tape-to-tape passes Brodie, Wideman and Giordano could pull off. Hamonic and Hamilton are good defensemen but there's something special about the way we used to be able to stretch the ice that I miss.

-I Don't have a clue what to expect from Hamonic or Stone, they were not good last year but have been good in the past. I do like our top six defense with these two plus Brett Kulak, who I think will play a full rookie season. They all don't need to be great, just solid.

- I'm expecting TJ Brodie for a huge season. In a sample of 94 defensemen with 1200+ 5-on-5 minutes played last year only six had a worse PDO. You only need to watch him play to see how unlucky he was last year.

- Speaking of PDO, Sam Bennett is destined for a breakout season. In a sample of 207 forwards, only seven had a worse PDO than he did. And he was a 20 year old center last year.

-Mark Jankowski! I expect him to push for the Calder and the day he hits his 25th game, our rebuild will officially be over. And he is going to be a good one. He is the difference in our fortunes next year. What a stud. I think a Versteeg-Bennett-Jankowski or Bennett-Jankowski-Versteeg third line has potential to be the best 3rd line in the NHL.

-Matt Stajan. Expecting him to continue to be rock-solid as a 4C.

-Troy Brouwer... I just hope he shows a pulse next year and looks like a decent 3rd or 4th liner who can contribute on the PP and be a non-possession-anchor. That's all I ask. Terrible signing.

-Curtis Lazar - total wildcard. I like his potential and see him as a rushed prospect.

-The rest of our depth - Emile Poirier, Spencer Foo, Andrew Mangiapane, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson, Morgan Klimchuk, Hunter Shinkaruk, Ryan Lomberg, Daniel Pribyl, Freddie Hamilton, Tyler Wotherspoon - should be able to step in when necessary - some legitimate NHL prospects in this group looking to make the NHL.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
My thoughts as a Flames Fan:

-Giordano-Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik-Hamilton... this five man unit could carry us to the playoffs single-handedly. That's how good they are.

They were amazing last year. I really hope that chemistry can continue. However, those guys alone can't carry this team. They did however keep the Flames afloat when others hit cold streaks.

- Special teams could be a strength. It took some time for everyone to adjust to the new coach, but the results were there when they did. After November 15th (or the one month mark of the season) our PP was 6th best and our PK was 6th best.

Hopefully they can keep that up. Having Gaudreau and Monahan at training camp should definitely help reduce the odds of another slow start.

- I don't have a clue what to expect from goaltending but I like that there is flexibility for Tyler Parsons or David Rittich to come in and steal the net in the future if Smith falters, and I like that Smith is a puck mover.

I really doubt we'll see Parsons get any games this year. Gillies and Rittich will be next in line. Parsons likely starts in the ECHL.

Gaudreau is due for a huge season if Micheal Ferland is on his wing all season. Those two along with Monahan had the kind of scoring line chemistry he's been missing since Hudler.

I hope Ferland can be consistent in that role, but I have my doubts. I love Ferland, but I still don't see him as more than a middle 6 winger who can chip in occasionally. My concern with Ferland being on the top line, is that I'm worried the role change will cause him to discard that edge/tenacity he's played with before. He seems far more suited for a checking/secondary scoring role.

Gulutzan has really toned down the stretch passing. I kind of miss it because it was crazy how many tape-to-tape passes Brodie, Wideman and Giordano could pull off. Hamonic and Hamilton are good defensemen but there's something special about the way we used to be able to stretch the ice that I miss.

The Flames under Hartley relied on that way too much. I think that stretch passing was what made the Russell - Wideman pairing so good that one year. It's a shame they couldn't keep it going.

I Don't have a clue what to expect from Hamonic or Stone, they were not good last year but have been good in the past. I do like our top six defense with these two plus Brett Kulak, who I think will play a full rookie season. They all don't need to be great, just solid.

I think they'll do well. They'll both likely have less pressure than they did with their previous teams. I also think we'll see Hamonic with Kulak, and Brodie/Stone remain together.

I'm expecting TJ Brodie for a huge season. In a sample of 94 defensemen with 1200+ 5-on-5 minutes played last year only six had a worse PDO. You only need to watch him play to see how unlucky he was last year.

I think he'll be solid, but I don't expect him to be anywhere near the form he had a few years ago. I hope Stone/Hamonic mesh well with him, otherwise this could be another long year.

Speaking of PDO, Sam Bennett is destined for a breakout season. In a sample of 207 forwards, only seven had a worse PDO than he did. And he was a 20 year old center last year.

I think he'll finish with about 40-45 points, but I don't expect a huge breakout year. He'll take a step forward, but it will take a few seasons for him to really get going.

Mark Jankowski! I expect him to push for the Calder and the day he hits his 25th game, our rebuild will officially be over. And he is going to be a good one. He is the difference in our fortunes next year. What a stud. I think a Versteeg-Bennett-Jankowski or Bennett-Jankowski-Versteeg third line has potential to be the best 3rd line in the NHL.

I really hope you're right, but I don't see him making a huge impact this year unless some injuries start hitting. As of right now, there may not even be a spot for him on the 4th line. I'm not saying Jankowski couldn't do well in the NHL, I just think there are better rookies out there that would outperform him (Keller, Boeser, Connor)

Matt Stajan. Expecting him to continue to be rock-solid as a 4C.

I thought he started to slow down after the Christmas break. I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up being rotated in/out with some other forwards.

Troy Brouwer... I just hope he shows a pulse next year and looks like a decent 3rd or 4th liner who can contribute on the PP and be a non-possession-anchor. That's all I ask. Terrible signing.

I think he'll rebound a bit, but my god he needs to step up.

Curtis Lazar - total wildcard. I like his potential and see him as a rushed prospect.

If he wound up being a decent 3rd liner, I'd be happy.

-The rest of our depth - Emile Poirier, Spencer Foo, Andrew Mangiapane, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson, Morgan Klimchuk, Hunter Shinkaruk, Ryan Lomberg, Daniel Pribyl, Freddie Hamilton, Tyler Wotherspoon - should be able to step in when necessary - some legitimate NHL prospects in this group looking to make the NHL.

Poirier should not be anywhere near the NHL. I'm glad he's getting help for his addictions, but the Flames need to take things slow with him for a while. The only guys I'd want to see recalled (assuming nobody has major breakout years) are Wotherspoon/Andersson/Kylington for defensemen, ad Klimchuk/Jankowski/Shinkaruk for forwards. I don't know enough about Foo, but Pribyl/Lomberg/Mangiapane aren't ready.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The Flames could go either way, in my mind. If Smith plays well, then they'll be a top-2 Pacific team. If he plays poorly, they'll probably miss the playoffs unless Lack or Gillies comes through.

Even if Smith plays well, theyll need everything else going for them to keep up with Edmonton and Anaheim. Decent goaltending isnt the only thing keeping Calgary in a tier below those teams.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Poirier should not be anywhere near the NHL. I'm glad he's getting help for his addictions, but the Flames need to take things slow with him for a while. The only guys I'd want to see recalled (assuming nobody has major breakout years) are Wotherspoon/Andersson/Kylington for defensemen, ad Klimchuk/Jankowski/Shinkaruk for forwards. I don't know enough about Foo, but Pribyl/Lomberg/Mangiapane aren't ready.

Huh?

Mangiapane is more NHL ready than Hunter Shinkaruk or Rasmus Andersson. He's an ox who was arguably Stockton's best player in April last year along with Jankowski and Kulak.

Lomberg is a 4LW / maybe-4C like Hathaway. If he gets called up for that role he'll be ready. Don't expect much more from him, but for what role he'd be playing he is ready. Can shoot, skate, PK, win faceoffs, all that basic stuff you expect from a 4th liner.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Calgary Flames have a solid top line, but little depth behind them (but that could change as the year progresses as young players improve), a solid defensive core, but below average to terrible goaltending. Calgary's goaltending has kept them down for a few seasons as goalies such as Hiller, Elliott, Ramo, Johnson, etc. haven't been the answer since Kiprusoff retired. Johnny Hockey and Monahan should be great this season and Tkachuk should step his game up a level as well. Most of the core is in their early to mid twenties, but also has some veteran leaders for support so this team shouldn't get too high or too low as the season progresses. I don't think Calgary has what it takes to keep up with Anaheim and Edmonton in the Pacific and should finish around 100 points at the end of the season. I can't see Calgary beating either team in a first round match-up considering Calgary hasn't won at Honda Center in over a decade (since 2004 in the regular season), and Edmonton beat them four times last season.

Predictions:
Division: 3rd (Pacific)
Playoffs: 1st Round
Most Surprising Player: Travis Hamonic
Most Disappointing Player: Mike Smith

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably the Flames' best roster since 08, do believe it's capable of contending for a division if Smith plays well. Still missing at least one Top 6 player, not enough shooters in the forward corps. Not a huge fan of the Hamonic deal but it's a pretty obvious upgrade on Wideman and co.

Can't afford another lame start, their run in the spring was improbable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not good enough to be cup contenders. Not bad enough for the lottery. Middle of the pack average team.

This.

In years previous extremely overrated. This year solid enough to make the playoffs and not get swept aside like pretenders. Although the West is very tough to even make the playoffs. No guarantees.

Jul 19, 2017
They'll win the cup. Despite getting swept, they looked very dominant and were easily the better team in the last 3 games. Save this post and **** on me if I'm wrong but we'll reach the WCF at minimum.

A hole in the forward group for sure at the #1 RW position but Ferland has good chemistry on that line. Assuming Tkachuk gets moved back with Bennett and Versteeg, Janko will slot in well with Backs and Frolik. All our lines thrive off chemistry and get underrated as a result of people overlooking that. Fourth line has an opening, hopefully for a speedier prospect. Brouwer will be on the 4th line at least two months in. Bennett should be bulkier this year and this will really help down-low. I don't see too many teams being eager to face a Tkachuk-Bennett combo.

Based off posts by NYI fans about Hamonic and ARZ fans about Smith, these two guys are getting massively underrated due to injuries and also a high shot volume in Smith's case. Brodie showed he can adjust to the left side while Gio and Ham are a great pairing. Stone will thrive as a #5D and Kulak can finally prove just how good he is to everyone.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Jankowski and Bennett are two guys who have to prove they can be good middle six producers. I'm a believer in both of them. While ferland and Tkachuk have to keep improving.

If Jankowski is able to come in and be a 40 point player on Backlunds line, Ferland is useful on the top line and Tkachuk and Bennett click, the flames have enough offense to be a contender.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Good blueline with Giordano,Brodie,Hamilton,Hamonic and Stone.

Their forward group looks OK but it needs to be better on the ice.

Their goaltending isn't something I would trust.

I can see them still making the playoffs but not expecting them to be a serious Cup contender.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
I actually think their defence is underrated. Giving up goals has been an issue, and a large chunk can be blamed on goaltending. But what the Flames do have that most teams don't are 3 D capable of putting up 40+ points. I don't see offence being an issue for them. No team moves the puck up the ice from the back end like the Flames (and Predetors) do. If the D can figure out how to cut the GAA and not let in deflating soft goals, they have a real weapon with Brodie, Giordano and Hamilton passing the puck.

I think they need better forward depth in their bottom 6. But their D more then makes up for that lack of offense. It works for Nashville because they have the personel to do it. I think the Flames have that potential too. You dont' see a lot of teams these days who put an almost complete emphasis on their D. The Flames are one of those few teams that have been completely built from the backend.

They will be interesting to watch. Goaltending is their #1 issue, but if Sam Bennett can finally break out, it will also help immensely as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad