Thoughts on the Arizona Coyotes?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Up and coming team. On young talent, they will be one of the better teams to watch once they start achieving success. That day is coming soon. Got some exciting young players to watch and follow.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Could be this years' Toronto Maple Leafs. Super young, talented team with rookies/young players being the most important players. Plus they have a terrific first pairing on D with OEL and Hjalmarsson. Need Raanta to be a legit starter and for Keller and/or Strome to be impact rookies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I live in Phoenix, tickets are cheap, and I like Stepan & Domi.

They will finish low, but I will be there, booze in hand.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Dark horse describes them perfectly. For me they're a team that is going to pass San Jose and Los Angeles (and eventually Anaheim) to be part of the big 3 with Edmonton and Calgary. I don't know if that's this season already, but it's definitely possible. I mean there were a lot of people who didn't think much of the Leafs last summer.

First of all Tippett and his garbage system (at least for young players) is gone. In comes Tocchet who i believe wants to run more up-tempo style and let the young kids display their speed and skill.

They added a top 6 center and a top pairing d-man in one summer. Even playoff teams rarely do that, let alone rebuilding teams. I think those moves are very underrated. Both players were exactly what they needed. Center who can be relied on to play difficult minutes, and a top pairing d-man who can shutdown anyone. Takes pressure off the kids, adds belief in the locker room and on the ice makes the team a lot better.

Those two guys weren't the only ones they added though.. Dylan Strome and Clayton Keller are most likely ready to make the team as well, and i would say they are the two most important young players in their system right now. Strome has kind of been forgotten by some people as he spent the last 2 years in juniors, but he's been an absolute dominant player over there (241 pts in 126 games over past 2 seasons). He's absolutely got future #1C talent, added with 6'3" size to boot. According to reports, he looked a lot bigger and stronger during the kids camp this summer, and to me once he's ready to make the jump, he's going to be productive right away. They did a good job staying patient and letting him develop in the juniors.

Keller is one of the favorites to win the Calder next season, and a lot of people see him as a future star. If he is as good as advertised, those kind of players usually start producing right away.

Then they still have the other young guys.. Domi and Duclair who both i think will have good seasons after facing a ton of adversity last season. Dvorak is a really good player and already produced at a 50 pts pace the 2nd half i believe. Perlini got a good combination of size and shot and he could bring secondary scoring. Christian Fischer is a wild card to make the team as well, and produced in the AHL last season, as well as scored 3 goals in 7 games with the Coyotes.

Add in some pretty good bottom 6ers in McGinn, Martinook and Crouse, i think this team can have surprisingly good offense next season.

And from the back-end, Chychrun looked like a middle pairing d-man already, and forms a decent pairing with Golikoski. He's only going to get better i'd think.

OEL - Hammer could be a top 5 1st pairing in the entire league. Think about that for a second.

Schenn is a nice heart and soul guy to have on the 3rd pairing. Clendening is somewhat underrated IMO, could form a nice pair with Schenn (LHD-RHD, defense-offense).

Raanta could very well be the next Talbot. I feel like last 2 seasons prepared him well for the starter role. He's going to be hungry wanting to prove not just himself but everyone else he can get the job done, not to mention playing for a new contract.

All-in-all, for me the Coyotes will be one of the more exciting teams to watch. Obviously the depth is lacking in some areas so they need to stay healthy to even have a shot for the playoffs, but i think this team will open a lot of eyes next season. And as far as competing against their own division goes, they already had 3 wins against the Sharks and Kings last season with the inferior team. I think they'll give them problems again.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Their young players get a lot of praise, I'm waiting to see if a couple of these prospects can emerge as stars up front.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They have some good pieces. New coach will help i think. Would of liked to see them go with Nelson. I think Chayka makes lots of good moves but cant seem to build a team that plays like a team. I see them finishing 5 or 6 in the pacific.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
It's been a very long time since I've been excited to watch a Coyotes' game, so I'm happy for the team. I'll watch with interest, but just not the biggest fan of Strome becoming a gamebreaker (which they need him to be). We'll see though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think the Yotes had a solid offseason but they are nowhere near a playoff team.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Up and coming team that runs the risk of being forever up and coming. Hard to ice a competitive team on a shoestring budget. They might be able to retain a few big pieces, but paying OEL + Domi + Dvorak + Strome + Keller + Chychrun is going to be very very hard for them. They could catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run, but they're probably going to end up trading away some good players that they can't afford. It's a damn shame, because those good players are what would make the market more viable.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Up and coming team with smart management and that could be a real threat to make the playoffs, let alone steal points from other playoff contenders. Extremely under the radar as well, sort of jealous of their continued progression.

:nod:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I hate these threads because people think it's cool to make the same cliche jokes that are no longer funny. We get it, you don't like the team is in AZ. You've said the same thing the last 10 years.

I don't think it's all about the desert & Bettman and all of that. The team simply hasn't been a fun or exciting team to watch for a non-partisan for a loooong time. Tippett probably didn't help a lot with that. Even when the team made the ECFs in 2012 it wasn't exciting for cinderella run. They haven't had a lot of exciting players recently. Shane Doan was a good player, but come on. Ekman-Larsson is a good player, but come on he's not someone who bring people out of their seats. He's no Subban.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I don't think they'll make the playoffs, if a bunch of their young talent takes a step forward this year, it will be considered a success. Their upper bound can be an unexpected year like the Leafs last year, or the first year the Flames made the playoffs

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I switched planes once in Phoenix. It was so hot at the airport my stomach had to relieve all its content immediately. It's crazy it's the fifth most populous city in the States though.

Coyotes brought us Matthews.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not expecting much from the Coyotes. They have a potential star in Strome but that's about it.

Domi looks like good support player but not really a player can carry a team

Duclair, looks like he took a step backward. Maybe he was overhyped

Overall, I don't see this team anywhere near playoffs. OEL is their biggest trade asset and may have to deal him while he has solid market value

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't think they'll make the playoffs but they should definitely be improved, potential bubble team.

If some of their young forwards turn out well they could be a very good team in a few seasons.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not expecting much from the Coyotes. They have a potential star in Strome but that's about it.

Domi looks like good support player but not really a player can carry a team

Duclair, looks like he took a step backward. Maybe he was overhyped

Overall, I don't see this team anywhere near playoffs. OEL is their biggest trade asset and may have to deal him while he has solid market value

Keller is their potential star, not Strome. Strome is well on his way to Grigorenko-status.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The Chalmers addition will help a lot because they now have a legit top pair. The biggest hole is still 2RHD, if they fill it, they might have a chance at the playoffs. The biggest question mark to me is Raanta. does he play like Talbot or is he really a back up goalie? Smith actually had a good year and played pretty well last year, so Raanta matching or surpassing that is not a short order. Some of the young guys will get better, some will stumble. New coach, new goalie, new system, young players, will be better but not in the playoffs. Next year look out though.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I question the front office's assessment of talent in the present and moving forward. Just putting that out there before the season begins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad