Thoughts on the Arizona Coyotes?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:coyotes

2014: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1723187&highlight=

Thoughts on the Arizona Coyotes?

I think for the first time in a while we can say that they are going to be better. Instead of making another top 10 pick, they decided to take a step in the right direction and traded for really good center in Stepan and also a goalie in Raanta that could very well be a steal. For me, Hjalmarsson was a home run and in my opinion will be the best partner that OEL will have.

The biggest question marker for them is if their offense can get going. They have tons of young talent for the upcoming years, starting with their star winger Max Domi, followed by Dvorak, Perlini, Duclair, Keller, Strome, Fischer, and even Merkley. I'm not entire sure on who makes the team, but the Coyotes have a good future ahead of them.

I think they miss the playoffs yet again, but it won't be by much.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I don't even know how well they will do. I'm gonna say 10-11th in West, 5-6 in Pacific. (competing with LA for both of those)

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Clearly building up a good prospect pool, but it doesn't seem like their development system has been great recently, as well as not usually spending to the cap (outside of taking on dead contracts, which I do think is a good idea for where they were at). Have all the pieces in place to be a good team, just not sure when they'll get there.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I always see a collection of talent that is less than the sum of its parts. Maybe it was Tippett...maybe it's lack of cohesion and chemistry...but that club seems to get zero results from what appears to be a pretty nice collection of talent. If they can ever mature and reach their potential together, look out.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
29th only beating Colorado and Vegas. Still a garbage team. They have a bunch of good young players but how many will be traded before or just after signing there second contract. The team can't afford to pay the cap in real dollars. Will always be a mediocre team.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Depending on how good their young talent mesh with their new vets, they could finish anywhere from 3-7 in the division. Firing Tippett will probably help a lot. Strome is an extremely underrated prospect, Dvorak and Domi look great, it'll be interesting to see how well Strome and Keller do in their rookie season. Defense has the potential to be lethal if Chychrun pans out and they can add another top 4 defenseman. They'll be alright, it's just time to now see what they have in their young guys.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Team needs to relocate yesterday. I thin everyone can agree with that. Who cares how they do, the situation is a joke.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I always see a collection of talent that is less than the sum of its parts. Maybe it was Tippett...maybe it's lack of cohesion and chemistry...but that club seems to get zero results from what appears to be a pretty nice collection of talent. If they can ever mature and reach their potential together, look out.

Probably a misread on the talent level more than an underachieving group, though I do think they were worse than they should have been on paper last season but it wasn't by a huge amount.

Haven't had a #1 C in about 2 decades. That basically says it all.

They have a bunch of good young players but how many will be traded before or just after signing there second contract.

The Coyotes have largely retained key talent over the years, the problem has been not developing enough of it to try and retain. Guys they have let go on expiring deals have largely been mercenaries or aging players like Hanzal who weren't going to be part of the long term plans due to age. The only notable example is Yandle and the Coyotes paid him quite handsomely on one of his deals. But at the time of the trade the team had bottomed out and Yandle was in a position of strength (LD).

Most of the other players who aren't in those two camps are a few prospects they may have given up on too early but again that relates more to the development issues than it does being unable to pay them.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Depending on how good their young talent mesh with their new vets, they could finish anywhere from 3-7 in the division. Firing Tippett will probably help a lot. Strome is an extremely underrated prospect, Dvorak and Domi look great, it'll be interesting to see how well Strome and Keller do in their rookie season. Defense has the potential to be lethal if Chychrun pans out and they can add another top 4 defenseman. They'll be alright, it's just time to now see what they have in their young guys.

They have so many young guys that need to step up. If they do they could get a wildcard spot.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They have a promising crop of young forward prospects but I still got the sense they're anywhere near truly contending.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
don't like their chances of making the playoffs.. added some very nice players but I think the team is not very deep, though they do have a lot of players that are young and improving

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad