Thoughts on the Arizona Coyotes?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I've loved Arizona's recent acquisitions of prospects through drafting and trades over the last few years. However, I'm mainly curious about how well they are with development. The Coyotes have a ton of potential in their system if players develop well.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Arizona Coyotes are pretty much an after thought in the Pacific division at the moment, and by the end of the season I still feel they will be in that category. The young players such as Domi and Duclair have been inconsistent so far, OEL's talents are going to waste, and some aren't even sure if the Coyotes will still be in the State for the long term. Raanta should be an improvement in net, but I don't think its a good enough improvement to help the team move forward this year. It should be another year in the rebuild with another top 10 pick, but most likely not a lottery pick before the Coyotes really begin to make progress and start to pass the California teams in the standings as they age.

Predictions:
Division: 6th (Pacific)
Playoffs: N/A
Most Surprising Player: Clayton Keller
Most Disappointing Player: Antti Raanta/ Luke Schenn

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
:coyotes

2014: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1723187&highlight=

Thoughts on the Arizona Coyotes?

I think for the first time in a while we can say that they are going to be better. Instead of making another top 10 pick, they decided to take a step in the right direction and traded for really good center in Stepan and also a goalie in Raanta that could very well be a steal. For me, Hjalmarsson was a home run and in my opinion will be the best partner that OEL will have.

The biggest question marker for them is if their offense can get going. They have tons of young talent for the upcoming years, starting with their star winger Max Domi, followed by Dvorak, Perlini, Duclair, Keller, Strome, Fischer, and even Merkley. I'm not entire sure on who makes the team, but the Coyotes have a good future ahead of them.

I think they miss the playoffs yet again, but it won't be by much.

Agreed 100%

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
I think they're get getting a little underrated here. Most likely not a playoff team but I can see them middling/fighting for a wildcard spot.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Keller is their potential star, not Strome. Strome is well on his way to Grigorenko-status.

Im really not sure what you base this statement on.

~2 points per game since his draft year in the OHL. Good skater and very competitive.. Is nothing like Grigorenko whose main problems is being too soft and lacking intensity.

Only on HF will people call 20 yr old players bust just because the management is being as patient as they can. What the kid needed to do to make the roster was to get stronger. And he's done that this summer.

Im sure there's a lot of learning to do in the NHL once he gets there, but posts like this are quite ridiculous.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

~2 points per game since his draft year in the OHL. Good skater and very competitive.. Is nothing like Grigorenko whose main problems is being too soft and lacking intensity.

Only on HF will people call 20 yr old players bust just because the management is being as patient as they can. What the kid needed to do to make the roster was to get stronger. And he's done that this summer.

Im sure there's a lot of learning to do in the NHL once he gets there, but posts like this are quite ridiculous.

When you are a top 3 pick you are seen as a tire above everybody else, and thus are expected to perform right away, when you don't that is a concern

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Does he still load up his wrist shot for 5 seconds?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A big part of it is I've never been high on Strome and don't think he drives play enough for where he was picked. The production is nice, but I don't see too much of it translating once he's in the NHL. And he hasn't done much to change my opinion since being drafted.

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
A team that shouldn't exist and should be replaced for a Canadian team and a Canadian city such as Quebec City, Regina or Saskatoon although I think that is always going to be impossible in terms of Regina and Saskatoon.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
When you are a top 3 pick you are seen as a tire above everybody else, and thus are expected to perform right away, when you don't that is a concern

Sure, but not every top pick have the same career trajectory.

I just think we should let the kid have a legit shot at the NHL first before calling him the next Grigorenko.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Absolute joke of a franchise that should have relocated years ago.

Hjalmarsson was a great add though. They will still miss the playoffs though.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
You can't just be "promising" forever. Compare them to Toronto; the young forwards in Arizona won't mature unless they get help from some equivalent of older guys like Kadri, Bozak and JVR. Stepan is a nice addition but he's far from enough.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They have been on the uprise for years how is this different

They did fire Tippett and his fraudulent ''Defensive system'' reputation, that has been a complete sham for the entire decade now.

I expect them to get a little better just because of that. I'm convinced they kept him around the one year under new management because he gave them a great chance to tank again. When you see that he was promoted to assistant GM just last year, it kind of makes you wonder if it was really deliberate.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
They have been on the uprise for years how is this different

New sole owner who trimmed the fat/country club
New coach for the first time in many years
Very talented young players either coming into the league at a full time spot and/or finally solidifying themselves as a legitimate NHL player

Where were the Leafs with Wilson at the helm of a bench with exciting young youth being the minority?

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
I don't think Arizona has the goaltending to get them to the playoffs unless Raanta plays stellar (like Talbot in Edmonton comparison).

But they'll do better than last year if their young players step up. Stepan and Hjalmarsson will help them a lot

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
What are the chances of Keller sticking with the team? Great season last year, with the world championship capper there.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm excited to see who continues to emerge as leadership now that the elder statesmen are gone.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
When are they relocating?

I hope they don't,love Arizona,going to the games is super,not crowded,very pretty,great weather. Just a team that has poor marketing and direction and structure.Problem is that so many people there are transplants and follow other teams,not local regional fans,if are,very few. Could see the same situation in LV except LV will have a lot more tourists that will fill some seats.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Half of the posts here are jokes about their financial situation in Glendale and have nothing to do with the team they'll be putting on the ice this season.

I love what they have done this offseason. Added a top line center and a top pairing defenseman, both are veteran guys with a lot of playoff experience and can help guide the young guys as they develop. Raanta has been one of the best backup goalies in the league the past two seasons and will likely do very well in a starting role. Keller will break out IMO. Domi continues to improve. Strome finally gets a chance to prove himself. Fischer may get a serious look.

There's a lot to like to like about the Coyotes and I think they've got a legitimate shot at a playoff birth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->