Thoughts on our announcers? (SNET)

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
I love Gene, other broadcasters are so boring, at least he is always cheerful, he is corny but it still makes me laugh that his puns are so bad. LEAVE GENE ALONE!:cry:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I like all 3. I think Quinn and Debrusk especially really are well spoken and explain allot of the plays.

I also really like Gene. Funny guy. Comes up with something different every game.

The one thing I do agree with with the people that do not like them is that they do not bother mentioning any Oiler faults...especially Dubnyk. I understand why Debrusk is like that though. He was a player and will stick up for the team, even if they suck.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Count me in as another fan of Gene. Quinn and Debris are pretty average imo.

I'm fine keeping them since there's worse duos out there for sure.

Michaels and Stauffer are awful though. I defended them at first but they seem to have gotten worse as a pair.

After a goal the first thing I want to know is who scored not when the guy who scored it got drafted.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
From the sounds of it, it almost seems like everybody wants a monotonic play by play with no emotion or expression. You know, the voices that professors who don't really care about teaching have so when they talk and explain stuff, everybody falls asleep because theres no dynamic in their voice and your brain just starts filtering it out because its the same sound.

That said, I like what Gene does because its unique and different. Much rather have that then a typical "Welcome to blah blah blah, where blah blah blah plays blah blah blah. Heres some stats, and now the game starts."

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Pet peeve with Quinn is the three times each game he spouts stats but only 'at home' or 'on the road'.

Debrusk at times I don't mind as he takes up the torch for the oilers for some reffing calls and such however he compensates by being too much of an apologist.

sorry, I don't like Gene. He is so far past the 'trying too hard' with puns it is cringe worthy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not going to get too upset over an interview guy on a broadcast like Gene. FTR, I don't mind him, but he is seen on the telecast in pretty small doses comparatively speaking. I would be more concerned over the performance of people that do the bulk of the work on the telecast and radio like the PBP and colourmen. And those 4 are absolute shyte.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't like our Snet commentators. But to say Quinn isn't homer enough as the OP states is mindblowing to me. Quinn is painfully homer to me and glossing up any turd and painting shiny rainbows all over it.

Any spin he, or Debrusk makes is usually downplaying the situation and trying to put any positive possible on it.

tbh I feel lied to by these broadcasters, well, I would if I believed anything they stated or took it seriously. Also Quinn makes so many mistakes per 60mins I just want to turn the volume off. Names wrong, team names wrong, score wrong, etc. I think if he said less (this is a TV broadcast after all) and thought about what he was stating a little more he might make less mistakes.

Principe I think is wrong time and place. Kind of a slapstick routine that would have felt better decades ago. He's a throwback in a way. Really nice guy, with old jokes and near vaudeville routine, that is often corny as hell. But its also supposed to be. Sometimes I think I don't laugh because I can't laugh. Because watching these games makes it seem like a comedian at a funeral...:(

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Gene is awesome. Yeah, he makes a bunch of lame puns and jokes, but they're funny because they're so lame.

Quinn and DeBrusk...they suck. No arguments from me.

Gene is different which is fine. Great guy by all accounts.

Quinn and Debrusk brutal and as vanilla as they get. Listen how many times Quinn spouts Marco Arcobello

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
I saw the hotdog costume that Gene wore on air a few weeks ago. I so thought about buying it and going as Gene for Halloween. Would have been Epic, just like Gene.

_OIL2224_slide.jpg

You would have won Halloween, if you had done that.

Oct 30, 2011
The only good thing about Quinn is that he gets excited when people score.

That's pretty much it.

I wish Principe did the colour instead of Debrusk.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
I used to not like Gene, but once i learned that he's actually the nicest guy in broadcasting, and his shtick is actually genuine i've learned to love him.

I never thought really anything either way about Kevin and Louie, but last night, i listened to the 2nd period on the radio driving (haven't really listened to radio much before) and i thought the main guy (I don't even know) was terrible. Stauffer barely says anything but everything that comes out of his mouth sounded condescending and rude to me.

When i got home and turned on the tv for the 3rd period it was a breath of fresh air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad