Thoughts on our announcers? (SNET)

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
Quinn has the worst voice ever, ******** tired of listening to him, also can't stand how he mixes up players names like almost every shift.

I hate Gene and DeBrusk.

I wish gamecenter never blacked out local games so I can watch other teams feed instead.

Really?? The dude the Flames have/had sucked worse. HE SCEEEEOOOOUUUURS!

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
You wonder why I dislike them...........???

They never criticize the Oilers.....tonight game against TB............Dubnyk looks horrible on all the goals......but all they do is comment on what a great player Stamkos is..........not saying one word about Dubnyk.........!

I know they are getting paid by the Oilers........but call a spade a spade!

I prefer honesty over appearances.....!

Yup. This pisses me off as well. They're so phony and admirable of the other team. How about talking about what every Oiler fan is thinking. It's okay to be negative sometimes, realistic is better than phony.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
They are alright. Could be worse so be careful what you wish for. Could end up with Mark Lee.

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
no complaints with the Sportsnet guys.

But CHED is brutal!!. I don't need to know what team the guy was drafted from as he rushes the puck up the ice, or some other useless statistic.
"Hopkins with the puck drafted 1st overall from the Red Deer Rebels in 2011"

Jack Michaels is a wannabe Bob Stauffer trying to show off stats while calling the play.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
It's not so much that Quinn and the crew suck, it's more that the Oilers blow chunks and the crew's lack of criticism and fake optimism/happiness are ridiculous. The average Oiler fan knows better.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Quinn doesn't have a bad voice, he just doesn't know how to talk. Tries to say 3-4 words at the same time multiple times a game and the result sounds like a foreign language.

Debrusk knows how to talk but what comes out is always wrong.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I like them. The Quinn Ferraro duo was the best. The banter with DeBrusk isn't that great though.

I don't like homer commentators. So I'm thankful Kevin isn't one of those. I don't mind if DeBrusk is a homer, as he isn't overly obvious like many other color guys.

Gene is my favorite. I know many of you guys hate him. But his jokes are so dumb, that I enjoy how stupid it is. That's his thing. His puns are great!!! hahaha.

Quinn is okay. DeBrusk, couldn't care less. And Principe is a keeper.

You tend to appreciate Kevin and Gene when you start watching other team broadcasts.. I realized that years ago when I first got my hockey channels and started watching other teams commentators.

NewJetsfan

I actually like Jack Michaels. Yeah he occasionally throws out the useless statistic or fact. But, at least he has some energy. There is no energy at all with the Sportsnet crew.

Bob Stauffer is terrible. Twice this year he has brought up how many cups or when the last time the opposing team has won a cup. The first game against Washington in the 3rd period when the Oilers were losing bad he asked Jack how many cups Washington has won.

Against the Leafs he brought up the fact that they haven't won a cup since 1967. Just irrelevant to the game or broadcast and it always happens when the Oilers are losing and he is frustrated.

If fans want to get into this fine, but the broadcast crew should be professional.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I actually really enjoy Jackie Michaels.

Could use someone with a personality/sense of humour/clue to run with, however. Stauf' is pretty much the Rain-Man of Oiler trivia...but...other than that...brings not a lot.

The TV crew is embarrassing. De-Brusk is just way too nice of a guy to be doing Oilers colour. He cant bring himself to say a bad word about a bad hockey team and therefore has zero credibility.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I enjoy the whole team. People who dislike Gene need to pull the stick out from underneath them and appreciate him for what he is.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kevin Quinn and Louie DeBrusk. Also Gene Principe.

I hate them. Honestly, they just annoy me. Kevin Quinn needs to be more of a homer like other broadcasters, half the time, I feel like he's rooting for the other team with the excitement he shows when other teams score.

Gene Principe is very annoying. He tries way too hard to be funny with his puns. Just a joke of a person if you ask me.

We need new announcers.

As bad as they are, I will take them any day of the week over the clowns on the radio. Jack Michaels makes me want to never listen to a hockey game again.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Gene Principe is so terrible it makes him my favorite announcer of all-time.

Every time he comes on the air, I sit there wondering if he spent all day looking for the right prop to use with his terrible pun he had planned out for probably the last week.

I love how horrible it is.

That, and I have a soft spot in my heart for anything pun-related, and he is the god of puns.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I'm fine with Quinn aka Ed Helms/Stu from The Hangover but DeBrusk is the worst. You can hear a couple times during the broadcast where he'll slip up and you can hear him scoffing at the horrible play the Oilers just made with an "are you kidding me/oh my god" tone before he realizes he can be heard. Otherwise his love affair for fighting and calls for a fight are pretty sad. Any enforcer/tough guy gets ample amounts of praise from DeBrusk and when the Oilers are losing (most of the time) you'll hear a "I can't believe anyone's doing anything (fighting)!" cry from him.

Gene is fine cause I'm amazed at the effort he puts in and how he spirit isn't crushed yet.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I liked it better when Ferraro was part of the team, but I'm o.k. with what we got; especially considering I hate Roger Millions and John Garrett on the Flames and Canucks broadcasts respectively, so I feel a bit lucky in contrast. We also used to always get Mark Lee or Marc Crawford on the late games on CBC and both of them were brutal. I could see it being so much worse, so I'm more than fine sticking with the Sportsnet crew we got.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I saw the hotdog costume that Gene wore on air a few weeks ago. I so thought about buying it and going as Gene for Halloween. Would have been Epic, just like Gene.

_OIL2224_slide.jpg

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
anytime you think our announcers suck listen to a flames braodcast, they are so much worse. Gene is funny and i would rather have him making puns and being creative then have some girl down stairs pretending she knows hockey.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Also Debrusk is great because he called Chimera the "Ice Cheetah" on air, that was epic

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I enjoy the whole team. People who dislike Gene need to pull the stick out from underneath them and appreciate him for what he is.

Me too. No real complaints.

and I agree about Gene. It's almost as if some people don't realize he's being cheesy on purpose. He knows what he's doing.

whether you like that or not, I can't imagine getting so mad that you hate the guy. It's a little weird.

Just roll your eyes and move on.

cyril*

I actually like Jack Michaels. Yeah he occasionally throws out the useless statistic or fact. But, at least he has some energy. There is no energy at all with the Sportsnet crew.

Bob Stauffer is terrible. Twice this year he has brought up how many cups or when the last time the opposing team has won a cup. The first game against Washington in the 3rd period when the Oilers were losing bad he asked Jack how many cups Washington has won.

Against the Leafs he brought up the fact that they haven't won a cup since 1967. Just irrelevant to the game or broadcast and it always happens when the Oilers are losing and he is frustrated.

If fans want to get into this fine, but the broadcast crew should be professional.

Stauffer is definitely the most arrogant "media" guy in this city. This stuff you are describing should be embarrassing for him, but it isn't.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
They are horrible. Every bit as bad as the team itself.
Principe is the worst. Disgrace to his profession and an embarrassment to hockey fans everywhere. So immature.

ahh come on, he's ok. He's trying to bring a little levity to the situation. I'm not a big booster of his, but he's alright. I actually like Quinn and Debrusk isn't bad. Be thankful we don't have Kerr, Simmer and Millions. Now that is the worst by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad