Thoughts on our announcers? (SNET)

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Kevin Quinn and Louie DeBrusk. Also Gene Principe.

I hate them. Honestly, they just annoy me. Kevin Quinn needs to be more of a homer like other broadcasters, half the time, I feel like he's rooting for the other team with the excitement he shows when other teams score.

Gene Principe is very annoying. He tries way too hard to be funny with his puns. Just a joke of a person if you ask me.

We need new announcers.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
They are horrible. Every bit as bad as the team itself.
Principe is the worst. Disgrace to his profession and an embarrassment to hockey fans everywhere. So immature.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I absolutely love Gene.

Wildly entertaining.

I am a fan of puns and the guy manages, more often than not, to put together a shtick that "works".

The thing I love about Kevin Quinn and Louie DeBrusk is the fact they are NOT homers. I am a hockey fan first and Oiler fan second. It disgusts me to listen to some announcers with how over the top Homer they are.

Flames commentators are traditionally irritatingly over the top homers, enough to make me want to hunt them down and force them to actually watch the game and not just make up %^&* as it suits their team.

I know some Oilers fans hate Gene but your the first i've heard complain about not enough Homerism from our broadcasts.

Gene is a personal preference. I can see why some people dislike him. Uptight people who take life too seriously absolutely despise him. I love that lighter side and I think in general people need more Gene in their lives.

I like our group, it's one of the better in the league, and I watch a lot of others teams games. I've even heard from other teams fans that, because our announcers are not blind homers making up BS to feed the fools, they can watch our broadcasts and enjoy it even from an away perspective.

Last edited:

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Don't like any of them, I think they're all very subpar. It really makes the television experience that much worse if you're exposed to announcers that you don't like. I think Gene is an absolute joke, I wish they'd axe him but it will never happen. He panders to the lowest common denominator which is usually going to be successful when you're talking about television.

The only time I really like the announcers on sportsnet was in 06 when they had ray ferraro as the color guy. He was anything but a homer (his team is vancouver) which was great, because he'd call things straight. At least that's how I remember it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Gene - Embarrassing
Quinn - Past his prime.. mixes up player names, bad PBP calls, runs out of breath.. he's turned into a WHL commentator. Get rid of him please.
DeBrusk - Could care less if he stays or goes. He's not horrible.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I don't mind Quinn and Debrusk. In fact I like them both.

Principe on the other hand is a disgrace to tv personalities everywhere. He tries so hard to be Ron MacLean is makes me sick. Everyone in my family mutes him as soon as he's on the screen. His pre-game schtick needs to GO.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
I love Gene, don't mind Quinn, and find Debrusk just meh. I do STILL get amused at how often he uses the word "real" to describe something....someone makes a "real" good save, or has a "real" good scoring opportunity, etc.

So overall, I don't mind them. There is better, but there is worse.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Do we always need to be so angry all the time?

I think they're all fine. Little slip ups here and there, but that can be expected given they work most of the games.

Would much rather prefer them over any of the other SNET announcers (Kerr, Garrett, Simmer, Millions...)

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
A better question is who you would replace them with. I'd rule out anyone currently working for any other NHL networks.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Gene is awesome. Yeah, he makes a bunch of lame puns and jokes, but they're funny because they're so lame.

Quinn and DeBrusk...they suck. No arguments from me.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
OVERTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME WINNER

:shakehead

They're below average.

I'm not sure why people hate on Gene though. He's a character and he plays it up.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Quinn has the worst voice ever, ******** tired of listening to him, also can't stand how he mixes up players names like almost every shift.

I hate Gene and DeBrusk.

I wish gamecenter never blacked out local games so I can watch other teams feed instead.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
OVERTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME WINNER

:shakehead

They're below average.

I'm not sure why people hate on Gene though. He's a character and he plays it up.

This is ludicrously inaccurate. They are way, way, above average. When I lived out East I had to watch virtually every game from the other team's broadcast on feeds. Sorry to all you haters, but whether you dislike, love, or are indifferent to this crew -- they are orders of magnitude better than at least 80% of the broadcast teams in the business. I don't blame anyone for not liking them, but to say that they are below average is just plain wrong.

Louis Debrusk has really come into his own, initially I hated him ( a few years back) but he is rock solid now. No one can compare to Ray Ferraro, and none of these guys are excellent, but there are DOZENS of awful, awful broadcasters in the game - even the major national broadcasts have great difficulty maintaining a crew of several competent individuals.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Gene annoys me, Quinn is a pretty decent broadcaster all things considered, and I thought DeBrusk had potential, and is sometimes decent now, but makes routinely stupid comments too. He actually used to be better.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Gene annoys me, Quinn is a pretty decent broadcaster all things considered, and I thought DeBrusk had potential, and is sometimes decent now, but makes routinely stupid comments too. He actually used to be better.

Debrusk's first year he was fumbling around worse than P.J. Stock.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
They would be more tolerable if they would just follow the play on the ice instead taking it upon themselves to explain inane things going on in the game. It's almost as if they think they are doing PBP for a radio audience or something, rather than something the audience can see.

Debrusk is by far the worst of the three, there really isn't much more annoying than listening to Debrusk explain that getting hit by shots hurts, and that the player skating slowly while grimacing to the bench might in fact be in pain. His observations rarely provide insight, and if he wasn't so consistent in delivery, I would honestly believe that he is intentionally condescending to an audience he considers stupid

Quinn would be fine if he didn't keep deferring to Debrusk's empty drivel, and would stop bringing up meaningless stats as if they actually mean something. "So-so has so many points against the Oilers in his career!", as if it's even remotely relevant.

Don't understand the issue with Gene though, nice guy who seems to genuinely trying to be entertaining, and doesn't take himself seriously with his silly puns.

Last edited:

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Quinn (B+/A-) - solid play by play
Louie (B) - good communicator, needs to be more critical at times. It is ok to point out poor plays without candy coating it. Players do make good plays and they do make poor lays. Not only is it ok to, it is your job to point BOTH out in a balanced fashion.
Gene (C-) - Hate the over the top props. He lacks credibility due to that and never asking a tough question on non-game days -- I can live with reasonably soft questions during the game, but he never asks progressive questions at any time ever. Good communicator if he just was a straight man. Comes across as a try hard. Rishaug as his TSN counterpart is way more connected and has so much more credibility and still has a sense of humor. You can have both. Gene doesn't.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't mind Quinn's play by play when he's actually calling the game.

But I hate the banter between him and Debrusk. They go off during gameplay and just lose track of the game.

I never hear anything particularly insightful from Debrusk. Not a fan.

Gene has his shtick, but lets be honest, he's sort of irrelevant he's on air for like 10 minutes. His puns suck more often than not, but he doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Kevin Quinn & Louie DeBrusk

You wonder why I dislike them...........???

They never criticize the Oilers.....tonight game against TB............Dubnyk looks horrible on all the goals......but all they do is comment on what a great player Stamkos is..........not saying one word about Dubnyk.........!

I know they are getting paid by the Oilers........but call a spade a spade!

I prefer honesty over appearances.....!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad