Thoughts on Hartman getting jumped after leveling Silfverberg?

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
People who continually assert that fighting after clean hits is some new phenomenon are either lying about watching hockey in the 80s and 90s or are just parroting people who are. This has always been the norm. It's actually become less frequent as "take his number" became more of a mantra after the explosion of boring systems hockey in the late 90s.

Just stop already.

Go and watch rockem sockem 1 through 10 and say that with a straight face.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I always find it funny when people say: "but it was clean hit! He shouldn't have to fight!"

Hey, I like Hartman. I like him a lot. That was a clean hit. It was also a devastating hit. That isn't just 'separating the player from the puck' type of body contact. That is a spectacular, open ice "you are not getting up" after a hit like that. Hartman could have let-up. He didn't. Just because it was clean doesn't mean he doesn't have to answer for it. You rock a guy, you should expect to get rocked, clean or not. That's just how things are. A big huge hit like that is of course an attempt to injure, no? Clean, but nonetheless an attempt to really hurt a guy. You don't hit a guy that hard and think: "He will be fine. It is a clean hit after all."

That was a devastating open-ice hit that can cause a serious injury, but a clean one. I would expect players on my team to respond like the Ducks did (except for the 2 on 1 for a while there - that was B.S.). I don't know why people get so surprised and raise up their arms and say: "but it was clean!". Yeah, clean, but hits like those can end careers too.

Reactions: Vikke

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Should they? I dunno, but you throw a hit like that, you are going to fight. Just the way it is.

And if you don't want to, you don't have to, which may have others calling you names, but you get your team a PP out of it. So it happened. As I asked on page two and went unanswered, I really don't get what the story is supposed to be here. People can get challenged to fight, and they don't have to, and their opponent gets punished if they try to force things. Nothing about this seems wrong.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
It happens so quick whose to say they could even tell if it’s clean when they are on the ice? If it was dirty and they didn’t do anything because they thought it was clean everyone would be calling them cowards. I get why it bugs people but I also get why the players don’t go ask their teammate if it was a dirty or clean hit before reacting. I’m also a Ducks fan so I could be biased.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It happens so quick whose to say they could even tell if it’s clean when they are on the ice? If it was dirty and they didn’t do anything because they thought it was clean everyone would be calling them cowards. I get why it bugs people but I also get why the players don’t go ask their teammate if it was a dirty or clean hit before reacting. I’m also a Ducks fan so I could be biased.

If they thought it was dirty and someone wanted Hartman to go for it, fine. Whatever.

Three guys rushing in? That's dirty in and of itself, regardless of the hit. I can almost, almost let Kesler and Manson slide since they were both there at practically the same time (but I won't because they are both pieces of shit), but Cogliano? Yeah he was being a total dumb ass.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Should a player have to defend himself after a big clean hit? Of course not. And he doesn't always have to. But sometimes he does. I don't blame the opposing team in going after him. You have to stand up for your guys regardless of whether it was a clean, dirty, or gray area hit.

And things happen so fast and often not everything is seen. Sometimes a bench interprets a clean hit as as dirty. You don't always have time to go over the logistics and debate everything.

If you want this to go away then just simply ban all physical contact from hockey.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'm still mad at DeBrincat for just floating around watching Hartman get jumped but 3 players, I'll never forgive that.

Exactly. He needs to get int there and defend his teammate. The optics are bad and stuff like this gets noticed.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Exactly. He needs to get int there and defend his teammate. The optics are bad and stuff like this gets noticed.

Again, why? Get involved, and it would've negated what should've been a lengthy Hawks power play if officiated correctly, and the zebras were already actively involved breaking everything up.

There's a time and a place for fighting and standing up for teammates, but in a situation where the Ducks were mid-meltdown, where we seemed to be getting a significant power play, and where the officials were actively attempting to break it up from the get-go, the Hawks were smart to not respond in any way.

Reactions: Aspirine

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Can't wait for players to start jumping opponents after a goal is scored. You wanna score? Git reddy to PAY DA PRICE!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This. A bigger epidemic in hockey is fans crying about fights after clean hits. How often does it actually happen? Once every 5 games?

Hockey fight statistics - NHL - hockeyfights.com
2017-18 NHL Team Miscellaneous Stats

Instead of looking at the number of fights after clean hits, I would be more interested in the number of fights because of clean hits. Sure there are lots of clean hits where there are no fights, but what causes most fights?

Based on some quick numbers, there are approx. 50 hits per game both teams and only 0.3 fights per game. So yes it's safe to say that there are not many fights after a hit.

But... last season there were 372 fights. What was the reason behind these fights? I don't have the numbers so I'm asking. What starts a fight? If the majority of the fights in the NHL are started as the result of a clean, but hard hit, then that's what people are pointing to.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Hartman's reputation totally was involved in this whole thing. Also think it's a wuss move to not stand up and fight.

I think his response of laughing at the Ducks getting all worked up was the best way to go. Keep your head up, Silfverbeg! If his teammates didn't like the hit, take a number and flatten Hartman the next chance you have. There's other ways of policing the game.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
People who continually assert that fighting after clean hits is some new phenomenon are either lying about watching hockey in the 80s and 90s or are just parroting people who are. This has always been the norm. It's actually become less frequent as "take his number" became more of a mantra after the explosion of boring systems hockey in the late 90s.

Just stop already.

this is out and out bullpoop. I don't doubt you believe it as people are constantly wrong about things, for example there are actually some people who believe that Greatzky was not the greatest player in history.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
League could end this if it wanted to. 5 minute fighting major to Manson and 2 more to Cogliano. Nothing to Hartman.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
How was it a dirty hit?

I never said it was, I said ( and it pains me to say this) that if you throw weight at a 4th liner and try to throw weight at a teams best scorer, your opponent will have fundamentally two different responses.
if you are a pest and target a top sixer, chances are someone asks you to dance.

Guys who provide protection by proxy care not a whit if the hit was legal or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00