Thoughts on First day of Free Agency and whats next

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
After day one we have

Goalie Markstrom 6 years Aav 6million
Dman Tanev 4 years Aav 4.5 millions

Subtract Jankowski and Brodie and Cam Talbot

Okay with goalie just not with the term wishing we got Murray. Harmonic could be signed but he is worried about COVID so if we sign him and he says I am not playing cause it a shorten season we have a big hole to fill that is why the Tanev signing. Brodie we do not know what Calgary offered for him to leave, maybe they offered same amount Toronto did and he turned it down. With what we spent do not know if we can afford Hall. Who else should we target.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Need a couple 4th liners and a dman

With the cap space we have

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Did I put too much cinnamon in my mixed berry pie?

Also, Toffoli or not Toffoli?

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We did not address the center position.

The goaltender we signed is going to work with our idiot goaltending coach.

The Defense men we signed maybe injury prone.

I think we are just spinning our wheels.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Happy our goaltending issues should be solved for a few years, way better than the carousel we've had the last 7 years.....but I would have been fine with Talbot coming back 3 years $10 million.
I'm guessing management and ownership is happy with our core since nothing has happened along that front.
I'm a mega Flames fan, I can only be a fan. As a fan, I can only trust management to try their best to ice a team that's going to be competitive.
I think we have some more needs to address and I hope we do, but I'm not really sure that will happen or not.
At least we didn't miss out on a quality goalie. The other team in Alberta definitely need a goalie and I can't really see anyone interested in signing there. Might have to get creative and trade for someone. I think we'll be okay, I'd like some more things to happen but I don't have a crystal ball.
We'll see I guess.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Net positive. Losing Brodie sucks, but Tanev could be a serviceable replacement, only time will tell.

Even if he’s isn’t the upgrade from Talbot to Markstrom more than makes up for it.

Looking forward to seeing Brad address our forward group and offence from the point in the coming weeks

Reactions: Rockmorton

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Great that we improve our goaltending.

But we still have an inferior coach, same useless first line and worse defense.

Thanks for trying Brad but this year is likely your last.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Great that we improve our goaltending.

But we still have an inferior coach, same useless first line and worse defense.

Thanks for trying Brad but this year is likely your last.

There is still time left to get things done but I am leaning towards what you are saying DFF.

The question we need to ask, can this team we have right now, win in the playoffs?

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There is still time left to get things done but I am leaning towards what you are saying DFF.

The question we need to ask, can this team we have right now, win in the playoffs?

Miracle does happen

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Brad got us a real #1 goaltender with Markstrom, can't complain about that. That contract might look ugly in the final few years but if that's what it took to sign him then so be it.

I wanted Brodie back but that's the way it is with UFAs, they sign where they want. Don't know how I feel about Tanev, but we did need another veteran D-man and that he is for sure.

Don't think we have the cap space to sign any difference maker forwards, and those Gaudreau etc. trades we've been dreaming up don't look very realistic in the current market. Only way I can see is if we ship out Lucic with some high draft picks as sweeteners, and then sign Hall. Would be an "all-in" move for sure.

We can still be a real threat next year if guys like Dube and Mangiapane keep taking big steps along with the young D-men. Maybe Zavgorodnyi etc. as well? But realistically I see us reaching maybe the 2nd round of playoffs.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I was very happy with our draft; that we didn’t trade picks for players and actually added 2 picks to add 8 players to the organizational depth. Also like the mix of players drafted. Give Flames an A grade here.

As for trades/free agency I suspect that there were not any trades that would of shook things up to be made. Brad probably wanted to make a hockey trade and likely bringing back say a Myers/Konecny package for Johnny was not there.

So we go to free agency. I give Brad an A for addressing his two biggest needs - #1 goalie and top 4 RHD. Some upset Brodie is gone but looks like Brad tried to re-up him before grabbing Tanev.

Now moving forward I give Brad a lower grade overall as moves he has made in the last 5 years has put our cap space in the position to where we cannot add another legitimate top 9 forward. Also his trading of picks in his early years has affected our organizational depth. However if we see some surprises like Mackey, Gawdin, Phillips, Ruzicka play effectively in the NHL then things look better for the Flames.

To me the key next season will be Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube up front and how Ward utilizes them. I would love to see Flames bring in a guy like Namestnikov so Lucic can get moved to the 4th line. That’s a guy that could pop 15 goals for us. But the cap space isn’t there so we are dependent on internal growth in the forward ranks for next season.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was very happy with our draft; that we didn’t trade picks for players and actually added 2 picks to add 8 players to the organizational depth. Also like the mix of players drafted. Give Flames an A grade here.

As for trades/free agency I suspect that there were not any trades that would of shook things up to be made. Brad probably wanted to make a hockey trade and likely bringing back say a Myers/Konecny package for Johnny was not there.

So we go to free agency. I give Brad an A for addressing his two biggest needs - #1 goalie and top 4 RHD. Some upset Brodie is gone but looks like Brad tried to re-up him before grabbing Tanev.

Now moving forward I give Brad a lower grade overall as moves he has made in the last 5 years has put our cap space in the position to where we cannot add another legitimate top 9 forward. Also his trading of picks in his early years has affected our organizational depth. However if we see some surprises like Mackey, Gawdin, Phillips, Ruzicka play effectively in the NHL then things look better for the Flames.

To me the key next season will be Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube up front and how Ward utilizes them. I would love to see Flames bring in a guy like Namestnikov so Lucic can get moved to the 4th line. That’s a guy that could pop 15 goals for us. But the cap space isn’t there so we are dependent on internal growth in the forward ranks for next season.

Good analysis. The one major downfall that Treliving will still be dealing with for years is his big FA misses in Brouwer and Neal. And yet, in spite of the repercussions of those bad signings (which essentially means Lucic's cap hit at this point), Treliving actually had this team poised as one of the better cap situations with the most flexibility heading into free agency this year. Without COVID doing away with the rise of the salary cap, we would have absolutely been one of the teams capable of pulling in Pietrangelo or Hall. And we could have still done a move like that this year, but we chose to make two important signings instead of one. I think Treliving deserves credit for our cap situation, not criticism.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007

I said for years we need a new goalie coach we had him when we signed Hiller to a contract that long ago

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Imagine Talbot saying Sigalet is a big reason he bounced back. Imagine all of our potential goalies that Sigalet has to work with being trash a goalie coach a wouldn't be able ot fix?

Imagine there being literally no top centre's available.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I believe the Neal trade set us back. He tried to fix it with Lucic but still bad contract. After Markstrom and Tanev signing we have limited cap space to work with and we need some bottom 6 and dmen to still add. Some post I've read in other thread said trade Gudreau, but Tre has to be cautious to get fair value or you end up like getting a bag of pucks like former GM Feaster did with Iginla. I would love Hall or Pietrangelo on our team but it would take trading one or two of our top line to get one or both. I am okay staying with what we have and just adding small pieces for the bottom 6 until after the expansion draft. Then we can see where teams are at cap wise and if possible a big name may become avaliable and it may make sense to trade Gudreau or Monny or both.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm just happy the goaltending carousel is over.

Sucks for Rittich, but he dug his own grave. We have a legit starting goalie that can play 2/3 of the season.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Sign Hall you cowards

But on a serious note, I give the off season so far a B+. Addressed a serious need in FA (#1G, can’t blame Brad for going for it), solid work at the draft by getting two thirds for free and drafting Zary. The tanev signing is meh to me, could be good, could be bad. We still need a top 6 RHS (Toffoli?) and a depth d man. Pretty excited for next season, whenever it starts.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
We've addressed everything possible thus far that has been available through FA (No Centre improvements available, got RHD for top 4, got legit goalie). Hard to get Treliving anything other than an A, but if he gets a trade out and finds a way to snag another big forward FA that's S+ territory, but he has made good moves that help this team long and short term

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Until we improve our forwards, I think we've actually gotten slightly worse

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Imagine Talbot saying Sigalet is a big reason he bounced back. Imagine all of our potential goalies that Sigalet has to work with being trash a goalie coach a wouldn't be able ot fix?

Imagine there being literally no top centre's available.

Imagine me being married to a rich super model.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad