Thornton says Matthews should be up for the Rocket, Selke, and Hart - PART 2

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McDavid will win the Hart in a landslide when it’s all said and done.

Great start to the season for Matthews though, he’s playing very good hockey. Comfortably establishing himself as a bona fide top 5 centre this year.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region

Great start to the season for Matthews though, he’s playing very good hockey. Comfortably establishing himself as a bona fide top 5 centre this year.
Really Matthews wasn't a bonafide top 5 center before this season? Take the glasses of

Matthews has been a top 5 player for quite some time now, he has the hunger to develop and get better every day. Similar to McDavid.

I don't get what Edmonton fans have against giving Matthews his credit, he could arguably be the best goal scoring center of our lifetimes.
Leafs fans give Connor the due respect, but the gap between Connor and Auston is starting to diminish, but my God is McDavid ever good. He looks like he picked a couple things up from Matthews and vice versa this summer. Fun times for Oilers and Leafs fans

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Really Matthews wasn't a bonafide top 5 center before this season? Take the glasses of

Matthews has been a top 5 player for quite some time now, he has the hunger to develop and get better every day. Similar to McDavid.

I don't get what Edmonton fans have against giving Matthews his credit, he could arguably be the best goal scoring center of our lifetimes.
Leafs fans give Connor the due respect, but the gap between Connor and Auston is starting to diminish, but my God is McDavid ever good. He looks like he picked a couple things up from Matthews and vice versa this summer. Fun times for Oilers and Leafs fans

Since we’re playing this game, why do some Leafs fans do whatever they can to denigrate back to back 100+ point season player including a 50 + 50+ season followed up by an Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay trophy season?

The disrespect Draisaitl gets from some Leafs fans is utterly baffling, you don’t even see that garbage from Flames or Canucks fans.

Probably because they’re our actual biggest rivals and actually see how good Draisaitl is more often.

Anyways, McDavid will run away with the hardware by seasons end. Heck of a season by Matthews though, likely gets the Rocket. Won’t get the Hart or the Selke like everyone outside of Toronto knows.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016

A lot can happen before the end of the season. Declaring him the Hart winner 20 games in is bold, no matter who the player is.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017

You seem really insecure. If you're that confident, you don't need to post in here.

Reactions: KapG and leafs94

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Since we’re playing this game, why do some Leafs fans do whatever they can to denigrate back to back 100+ point season player including a 50 + 50+ season followed up by an Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay trophy season?

The disrespect Draisaitl gets from some Leafs fans is utterly baffling, you don’t even see that garbage from Flames or Canucks fans.

Probably because they’re our actual biggest rivals and actually see how good Draisaitl is more often.

Anyways, McDavid will run away with the hardware by seasons end. Heck of a season by Matthews though, likely gets the Rocket. Won’t get the Hart or the Selke like everyone outside of Toronto knows.
how the heck is Toronto your biggest rivals.

Its not just Toronto fans "disrespecting" Draisaitl. Some of the talk on here saying he is a top 3 player, or polls with him and Mackinnon show when he sometimes gets overrated. he is definitely top 10 and a top 5 offensive player but some of the talk on here is too much. i wouldnt put him in my top 5 NHL players.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

If the Leafs finish first, by a large margin(all possible) + Matthews gets the rocket, he's winning the Hart and that's a lock.

Does that mean he's better than McDavid? No, the record of the two teams will come into play.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

He's gotta make the playoffs though to do that

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Its not disrespect to say Matthews is better than L.D.
Matthews is right there with McDavid 5v5 and when you consider 2 way play I suggest that Matthews is better 5v5. If its a PP McDavid all day every day.
I wonder how many more points Marner+Matthews would have if they got the same PP time

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I can see why this is a contentious debate between Leaf and Oiler fans. On 1 side you have a struggling team that can hang their hat on having the consensus best player in the world. So it makes sense why Oiler fans would be so defensive regarding Connor being the best.
On the other side you have a fanbase who has praised their guys only to have them loose polls to Panarin, Barkov, Drai, Pettersson etc. So naturally makes sense why said fanbase would be bullish.

Reactions: leafs94

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Not that I really strongly disagree or agree with this, but at-least this makes a lot more sense than people claiming Petry as the norris favorite

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
I can see why this is a contentious debate between Leaf and Oiler fans. On 1 side you have a struggling team that can hang their hat on having the consensus best player in the world. So it makes sense why Oiler fans would be so defensive regarding Connor being the best.
On the other side you have a fanbase who has praised their guys only to have them loose polls to Panarin, Barkov, Drai, Pettersson etc. So naturally makes sense why said fanbase would be bullish.
Oh my god, you have my favourite username of all time LOL, legendary handle Dusty R. Gooch.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think both Matthews and McDavid should be given negative value for the Hart considering their division, but at the current point in time Matthews goal streak is much more impressive than McDavid loading up on a bunch of secondary assist powerplay points.
Pasternac 9 games 9 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad