Thornton says Matthews should be up for the Rocket, Selke, and Hart - PART 2

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
somehow I feel like that asterisk won't be applied to whatever McDavid accomplishes despite them having the same competition this season. Also, Montreal is a good defensive team and Matthews just made them look like the Sens.
Habs good defensive team .... lol
Every one if us Habs thanks for ......pure bull shit . But its not often we get compliments from leaf fans

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
how the heck is Toronto your biggest rivals.

Its not just Toronto fans "disrespecting" Draisaitl. Some of the talk on here saying he is a top 3 player, or polls with him and Mackinnon show when he sometimes gets overrated. he is definitely top 10 and a top 5 offensive player but some of the talk on here is too much. i wouldnt put him in my top 5 NHL players.

Reading comprehension not working? I called the Flames and Canucks our biggest rivals.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Stroking Joe not wasting anytime joining the leaf media / groupie mentality.
I don't think he fully comprehends yet how many sheeples he can count on in his new digs. When he does fully comprehend, I expect he'll get a lot more reasonable. Else, he'll just suffer the wrath of those promised but not fulfilled.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
somehow I feel like that asterisk won't be applied to whatever McDavid accomplishes despite them having the same competition this season. Also, Montreal is a good defensive team and Matthews just made them look like the Sens.
To be fair, McDavid is outproducing his previous season by roughly .34 ppg while Matthews is doing so by .79 ppg. That is an incredible increase in production.

Though considering the two are playing in the same division, that complicates things considerably.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I did not read this thread, but Matthews is NOT better then McDavid. Is there some aspects of Matthews game better then McDavid, yes... but as a all around hockey player I take Mcdavid over 34 any day of the week.
This is not quite true. Matthews is by far the better, more complete, 2-way player. McD is the best offensive player no doubt, but Matthews is far superior defensively and on the forecheck. He's also a better pure goal scorer. That said, McD is the best all around offensive player, but he's not a very good player in his own end.

Reactions: authentic

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This is not quite true. Matthews is by far the better, more complete, 2-way player. McD is the best offensive player no doubt, but Matthews is far superior defensively and on the forecheck. He's also a better pure goal scorer. That said, McD is the best all around offensive player, but he's not a very good player in his own end.
Yikes... Just wow.

I cant believe the Matthews > McDavid posts are actually back :laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yikes... Just wow.

I cant believe the Matthews > McDavid posts are actually back :laugh:

Lol. They never really left, it was always in the back of their minds but they just looked too silly when theyd try to say it as Matthews struggled to crack top 20 in league scoring. All of a sudden Matthews has nice little run and the narrative is back.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
how the heck is Toronto your biggest rivals.

Its not just Toronto fans "disrespecting" Draisaitl. Some of the talk on here saying he is a top 3 player, or polls with him and Mackinnon show when he sometimes gets overrated. he is definitely top 10 and a top 5 offensive player but some of the talk on here is too much. i wouldnt put him in my top 5 NHL players.
You kind of just proved his point.

What has Matthews actually done to be a sure fire top 5 player in the NHL but it's ridiculous to put Draisaitl there?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Can't let things get boring around here now can we? Seriously though, McD is not great in his own end. It's not a secret.

Yeah, too bad. Your guys narratives of McD being bad away from the puck is quickly diminishing. Sorry that two way hockey can no longer be used for Matthews > McDavid. But at least yall got that puck retrieval crap to use still (like it ever mattered)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think both Matthews and McDavid should be given negative value for the Hart considering their division, but at the current point in time Matthews goal streak is much more impressive than McDavid loading up on a bunch of secondary assist powerplay points.
Hmmm??

McDavid has 17 1st assists of his 25 (68%), while Matthews has 6 1st assists of his 11 (54.5%). An interesting argument point for sure.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can't let things get boring around here now can we? Seriously though, McD is not great in his own end. It's not a secret.
Fake news. McD is fine in his own end. Backchecks well and actually steals pucks when back-pressuring, not just applying pressure.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Yeah, too bad. Your guys narratives of McD being bad away from the puck is quickly diminishing. Sorry that two way hockey can no longer be used for Matthews > McDavid. But at least yall got that puck retrieval crap to use still (like it ever mattered)

Matthews is far better defensively than McDavid.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oiler fans who think Oilers are a lock for the playoffs or McDavid is a lock for the Hart if they miss is delusional.

Where on earth did you come up with the bolded from? I'm pretty sure every Oilers fan knows you can't win the Hart without playoffs, hence why Taylor Hall won the Hart a couple years ago.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Still a whole other level of a player than Matthews. Not debatable. No matter how hard you guys try and play make believe, Matthews is not the best player in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad