Thornton says Matthews should be up for the Rocket, Selke, and Hart - PART 2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Who said he can't shoot or pass? He simply isn't playing to his full potential. A 50% Matthews is better than a 13th forward. So, yes, he should play. Only reason he shouldn't is if hit injury becomes worse or will take longer to heal if he's not playing. According to Keefe, that doesn't appear to be the case.

So they're playing him because he's better than the Leafs 13th forward. As simple as that. The same reason McDavid would play if he was 50% of the player he is right now.

debatable if they should play him. He looks frustrated out there and was on the verge of tears on the bench tonight. Maybe playing him as a replacement level player isn’t the way to go with the 2nd most expensive forward in the league.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wasn't injured last year and was 82nd in assists per game...

And where was Eichel? Matthews is a scorer, doesn't mean he can't be a playmaker.

This is like saying Gretzky can't be a great playermaker because he was a great scorer.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well, considering average is top 300. Yes.
So to you there are more than 82 elite playmakers?

Wow you have one hell of a loose definition of "elite" :laugh:

Although if this is how all Leaf fans think, then I suppose it all makes sense why they think all their players are so amazing.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Although if this is how all Leaf fans think, then I suppose it all makes sense why they think all their players are so amazing.

What is elite to you? Top 10? TSN has a list where they name the top 50 players per season, and those are considered elite players.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

That's less than 3 a team. You don't think there's 2 elite playmakers per team in the NHL?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And where was Eichel? Matthews is a scorer, doesn't mean he can't be a playmaker.

This is like saying Gretzky can't be a great playermaker because he was a great scorer.
Hahahahahah. WHAT?

No, its saying Matthews isnt an elite playmaker because he was 82nd in assists/game...

Question for you: do you consider Blake Coleman an elite goal scorer? Because he was 82nd in goals per game...

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Hahahahahah. WHAT?

No, its saying Matthews isnt an elite playmaker because he was 82nd in assists/game...

Question for you: do you consider Blake Coleman an elite goal scorer? Because he was 82nd in goals per game...

No because goals are harder to come by. A defenceman can get assists too.

That's like saying the 82nd best save percentage in the league is elite. It varies by position.

And remember goals/assists per game are very subjective if you don't filter with a min. sample size.

That's like saying a rookie who plays 1 game and gets 2 assists is #1 because he has the highest assists per game. Do minimum 50 games and re-evaluate.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No because goals are harder to come by. A defenceman can get assists too.

That's like saying the 82nd best save percentage in the league is elite. It varies by position.
Let's change it to just forwards then to adjust for your aggressive goal post moving here.

Matthews in now 60th. Whos the 60th in goals/game: David Perron. That's an elite goal scorer to you? How about Brayden Schenn?

Congrats on Matthews for being in such elite company!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Let's change it to just forwards then to adjust for your aggressive goal post moving here.

Matthews in now 60th. Whos the 60th in goals/game: David Perron? That's an elite goal scorer to you? How about Brayden Schenn?

Like I said, with goalscoring the sample size is smaller. I'd probably go top 20 with a minimum games filter. I think your logic is skewed. You think there can be 5 elite players in the world at any time in one attribute.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Like I said, with goalscoring the sample size is smaller. I'd probably go top 20 with a minimum games filter. I think your logic is skewed. You think there can be 5 elite players in the world at all time in one attribute.
No I'm saying when you're outside the top 50 in an NHL stat you are not even close to elite at this.

Everyone else has seen you embarrass yourself enough here already, I'll let someone else take over.

Also I did change it to min 25 games (1/3 the season) so no this does not include rookies playing 1&2 games.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No I'm saying when you're outside the top 50 in an NHL stat you are not even close to elite at this.

Everyone else has seen you embarrass yourself enough here already, I'll let someone else take over.

Not necessarily. Would you consider Mitch Marner an elite playmaker? If Marner wasn't playing with a Rocket candidate, his assists would be lower.

When Matthews finishes the play every time, it's harder to rack up assists. That doesn't mean if he wasn't allowed to score for whatever reason, his assists wouldn't go up.

You can't score a goal and get an assist on the same play.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Matthews now has 5 points in the last 10 games even he plays 22-24min per night. Definitely Hart winner!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Matthews is not an elite playmaker.

Elite goal scorer? yes.
Elite Center? yes.
This should be an obvious statement but according to some Leaf fans being 60th overall in assists for forwards (behind such elite playmakers as Pacioretty and Nick Shmaltz) makes you elite.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Matthews now has 5 points in the last 10 games even he plays 22-24min per night. Definitely Hart winner!
I think that his recent slump could be a result of his nagging wrist injury I don't know why the Leafs are playing him while he's clearly injured.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
debatable if they should play him. He looks frustrated out there and was on the verge of tears on the bench tonight. Maybe playing him as a replacement level player isn’t the way to go with the 2nd most expensive forward in the league.
You were so quiet earlier in the year. Funny how that works.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I think that his recent slump could be a result of his nagging wrist injury I don't know why the Leafs are playing him while he's clearly injured.

He is smashing posts left right and centre. He’s absolutely fine out there, he’s generating great chances, they’ll start to click again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad