Thornton isn't afraid of a 2 min penalty

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Seeing Thornton out there and the response from the leafs shows that when a good team plays with fire and without fear its a winning attitude. Powerplay or not when the jets saw Thornton that angry did anyone really think they could tie the game after seeing that intensity. This team needs to take penalties once in a while to defend each other and no body knows that better than the veteran thornton. Simmonds, Foligno, Hyman know hopefully the rest of the team follows this mindset.

Obvioulsly a stupid or lazy penalty that provides no energy or emotion and forces the leafs to the penalty kill is dumb. Drawing a line in the sand and not giving a f*** about 2 minutes when it comes to taking liberties and cheap shots is what makes a good playoff team. The leafs and Cambell weren't going to let the Jets win after seeing Thornton step up and defend himself and the team

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Weird timing with this thread. The Leafs are notably ramping these aspects up.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Yup.
If this spurt of pesky-ness makes guys stand a bit taller... the 2min PK means nothing.

I think Thornton knows the team has the ability to reach another level; if the soldiers take the pressure off.

I'd venture to say Jumbo knows he needed to show Keefe and Co. What he can do during playoff hockey as it's quite obvious he was struggling to be effective.

If Joe has been preparing his body for a playoff grind... we're in for a treat.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Breaking your stick cross checking a guy, because he dove trying to draw a penalty, with just under 5 minutes to go defending a 3-1 lead was colossally stupid. There's absolutely no debate about that. It didn't cost us the game, but certainly could have.

The scrum that ensued when Thornton got out of the box -- that was productive. Set the Jets off, and knocked two of their best players out of the game while we lost Simmonds & Thornton, neither of which were likely to see the ice again that game.

souL

Jan 22, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Breaking your stick cross checking a guy, because he dove trying to draw a penalty, with just under 5 minutes to go defending a 3-1 lead was colossally stupid. There's absolutely no debate about that. It didn't cost us the game, but certainly could have.

The scrum that ensued when Thornton got out of the box -- that was productive. Set the Jets off, and knocked two of their best players out of the game while we lost Simmonds & Thornton, neither of which were likely to see the ice again that game.

You can see around the 3 second mark that Ehlers slashes Thornton which is what set him off.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

This is what I said as well. Both players got sent off so we didn't pay for it but it easily could have been a Jets PP. I'm thinking all the people cheering on ornery Joe over that sequence (including Keefe which is concerning) would be singing a different tune if it had led to a 3-2 game with just under 3 minutes left. It really was selfish. Slash or no slash, you check your emotions and take a number.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I hope they do this more often. The refs can't call them all, and you know they'll even up the PPs, so I wish we'd see more of this. Play some grown up hockey and not worry about the metrics.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is what I said as well. Both players got sent off so we didn't pay for it but it easily could have been a Jets PP. I'm thinking all the people cheering on ornery Joe over that sequence (including Keefe which is concerning) would be singing a different tune if it had led to a 3-2 game with just under 3 minutes left. It really was selfish. Slash or no slash, you check your emotions and take a number.

The "2nd sequence" when they both got sent off was fine. The cross-check by Joe wasn't enough to warrant a penalty on it's own, and therefore was a no-risk play. Joe only got a penalty on that one because the retaliation by Ehlers resulting in the spear. Less controversial to send both.

Reactions: Duffman955

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
These two teams are starting to hate each other enough to have a rip-roaring playoff series, if they should happen to meet.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
This reminds of Kadri. Maybe Thornton is playing mind games and is hoping that if we play Winnipeg in the playoffs, Ehlers would do something silly to get himself suspended.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Let's just hope teams haven't taking note to target Thornton to get free PPs in the play offs.

Sure it was fun and he got under their skin and it resulted it Ehlers and Dubois being sent off, but if Montreal feels they need a PP to tie the game late, they might try poking at Thornton now to get him to rage.

There's good and bad in this.

Reactions: Sniper99

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

The whole breaking the stick thing, those sticks have a habit of breaking , you get a few hacks on them, then the next time you put force on it, it snaps. The cross check was not really all that forceful TBH. Ref reacted to the broken stick though, if that stick does not break, there is no PIM called.

I do agree that taking a PIM with 5 min remaining against the 5th best PP in the league with a 3-1 lead in the 3rd was stupid but I also think if that stick didn't break there is no PIM called.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I get the feeling like Joe Thornton was trying out being a playoff bully to see if it could spark the team. He scored a goal in the first period which was huge but what’s more likely is he’ll be a Brian Boyle type presence in the playoffs and throw skill guys on other teams off their games. Gamesmanship. I don’t think there’s a natural rivalry here with Ehlers that would spark that kind of exchange but it threw him off his game completely.

This is a nice contrast to the other night last week when Thornton was just leisure skating away when Galchenyuk was getting cross checked repeatedly by the Canucks defender. Good to see him pick it up.

Reactions: Ciao

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I would have liked for Thornton to punch him out for running around with his stick. He’s just drawing attention to Ehlers who was flying under the radar with his dirty cross checks. Watch all the quick crosschecks Ehlers is running around doing with no calls. Drawing it on him for a 2 minute penalty and loafs of entertainment was forgivable no.
Ehlers is a greasy.Thornton had enough of i am thinking. The dive in to fetal position on a skate by of Thornton was pukey diver stuff.
I hope Thornton keeps it going with Ehlers and also hope someone fills him in. Atta boy Joe is where i stand. I think you are the rare one that’s mad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra777 and Ciao

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Got sent off. Ehlers speared him in the ba!!s. Before that he dove,before that he charged Thornton and back off when he got his head up in time to see him coming, them he crossed checked Kerfoot right above the padding in the lower back etc.

Good stuff joe

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This reminds of Kadri. Maybe Thornton is playing mind games and is hoping that if we play Winnipeg in the playoffs, Ehlers would do something silly to get himself suspended.
Winnipeg were the dirtbags and Maurice set it up mocking us. Game on. Thornton dummied the little grease ball and i loved every second of it.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada

The leafs are good enough to kill a penalty when they want to. Mathews almost got killed, Tavares had his head almost taken off, and obviously Ehlers took a shot at Thornton. It was 3-1...These games are pretty much meaningless until the playoffs. Mathews or Tavares could have been injured and out for the year. The leafs are fully capable of killing a penalty... its whether they want to work hard enough... Maybe there is a reason they worked hard enough to win when Thornton stood up for himself and the team

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Seeing Thornton out there and the response from the leafs shows that when a good team plays with fire and without fear its a winning attitude. Powerplay or not when the jets saw Thornton that angry did anyone really think they could tie the game after seeing that intensity. This team needs to take penalties once in a while to defend each other and no body knows that better than the veteran thornton. Simmonds, Foligno, Hyman know hopefully the rest of the team follows this mindset.

Obvioulsly a stupid or lazy penalty that provides no energy or emotion and forces the leafs to the penalty kill is dumb. Drawing a line in the sand and not giving a f*** about 2 minutes when it comes to taking liberties and cheap shots is what makes a good playoff team. The leafs and Cambell weren't going to let the Jets win after seeing Thornton step up and defend himself and the team

Did I miss something?
Were the leafs and Campbell going to let Winnipeg win before Joe took his dumb penalty?

Bieksa put it correct in the intermission. Simmonds pushed the envelop without taking a penalty. he had a good read on the game. Joe crossed the line.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hope they do this more often. The refs can't call them all, and you know they'll even up the PPs, so I wish we'd see more of this. Play some grown up hockey and not worry about the metrics.
Damn right bro, I couldn’t agree more. Simmonds just said he will look after his goalie too because the refs won’t. He called them right out. Run up the score and then pound on them full out war.. Call up Clune and dress Sabourin too if they like. There are a few dirt bags that need a tuning after a long compacted season I’m sure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The "2nd sequence" when they both got sent off was fine. The cross-check by Joe wasn't enough to warrant a penalty on it's own, and therefore was a no-risk play. Joe only got a penalty on that one because the retaliation by Ehlers resulting in the spear. Less controversial to send both.
If the refs didn’t protect Ehlers after his spear joe would have punched him out

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
If the refs didn’t protect Ehlers after his spear joe would have punched him out
Actually Kerfoot was standing right there when Thornton got speared, he should have immediately dropped his gloves and gave Ehlers a beating. Refs would have sawed them off 5 minutes for fighting one way and 5 minutess for the spear the other way. Cant let your veteran Shaman get speared in the nards and do nothing:mad:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad