Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah, Zucker seems to be just about the only player on the team who meshes with Koivu.

I think its a bit over blown that Koivu "doesn't mesh well" with the various forwards.

Vanek was the only forward on the team that Koivu didn't have 50% or greater possession numbers, and the Wild didn't score atleast 50% of the goals on the ice.

Everyone else besides Vanek had a reasonable or greater amount of success with Koivu.

I think the issue is, that those two have distinct play styles that they don't waiver from to much. Everyone else seems to be pretty flexible and able to play either way to one degree or another.

When Koivu is centering a line, he wants to get the puck in the zone, into the corner and start grinding away towards the net via the cycle and board play.

When Vanek is on a line, he wants to enter the zone, and make a play towards the net immediately. Not try to get set up in the cycle and work your way to the net. He wants to thread the pass through to someone breaking towards the net, or he wants someone to thread it to him.

And neither seem to be willing to adapt to the other's style, or are simply unable to adapt.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Yeah, Zucker seems to be just about the only player on the team who meshes with Koivu.

Very early last season they put Koivu with Coyle and Nino which looked pretty dominant even though they couldn't score, but I remember Koivu played great for the few games they were together, Koivu had a game where he had 10 or 12sog.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Koivu has always had the problem with finding linemates. He plays as well with grinders as he does with elite talent. Only problem is that he brings elite talent down to his level.

Zucker is an oddity but I think it is because he wants to shoot and won't defer to Koivu. I would toss Coyle on the other wing.

I would actually put Vanek with Nino and Graovac to start and hope the defense of that line isn't too bad.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Koivu has always had the problem with finding linemates. He plays as well with grinders as he does with elite talent. Only problem is that he brings elite talent down to his level.

Zucker is an oddity but I think it is because he wants to shoot and won't defer to Koivu. I would toss Coyle on the other wing.

I would actually put Vanek with Nino and Graovac to start and hope the defense of that line isn't too bad.

I agree with a Zucker-Koivu-Coyle and Vanek-Graovac-Nino

And if you deploy that Graovac line properly, they shouldn't have to worry about playing shut down defense

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

What are the elite talents Koivu has brought down to his level?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
What are the elite talents Koivu has brought down to his level?

I'm not sure either. He hasn't really made anyone better/had great chemistry with many players, but I certainly wouldn't say he's making anyone worse.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Gabby is iffy, Didnt the Brunette-Koivu-Gabby line do really well when he got back from injury his last season here?

Parise, Vanek, Pominville, Moulson, Havlat, PMB, Latendresse, Heatley, Rolston, & Setoguchi i would say is a pretty solid list right now.

Not all are allstars, but some talented players on that list & Koivu being a pass first type player doesn't seem to elevate any talented goal scorers game.

J22*

Gabby is iffy, Didnt the Brunette-Koivu-Gabby line do really well when he got back from injury his last season here?

Parise, Vanek, Pominville, Moulson, Havlat, PMB, Latendresse, Heatley, Rolston, & Setoguchi i would say is a pretty solid list right now.

Not all are allstars, but some talented players on that list & Koivu being a pass first type player doesn't seem to elevate any talented goal scorers game.

I sure hope you're not implying that Koivu had a negative impact on all of those wingers? Pretty sad if you are.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Not implying he had a negative impact per say, but he didn't elevate their games either and for what we pay him he needs to be one of our best players every night by making others around him better on offense aswell, not just defense.

They all struggled to build chemistry with Koivu, thats been a topic of discussion since Chuck arrived here with the different players hes brought in to try n put on his wing and most have not worked out & I think it says alot if Parise, a hard working two-way net front scorer who you would think compliment Koivu very well but prefers to play with Granlund, but thats just my opinion.

J22*

Not implying he had a negative impact per say, but he didn't elevate their games either and for what we pay him he needs to be one of our best players every night by making others around him better on offense aswell, not just defense.

They all struggled to build chemistry with Koivu, thats been a topic of discussion since Chuck arrived here with the different players hes brought in to try n put on his wing and most have not worked out & I think it says alot if Parise, a hard working two-way net front scorer who you would think compliment Koivu very well but prefers to play with Granlund, but thats just my opinion.

Not sure where you got the bolded. Parise playing with Granlund has been covered numerous times. It isn't because he's better with Granlund, and I would wager it isn't because he prefers it either.

My opinion of your list of players going strictly off of a questionable memory-

Parise, Pominville, Heatley, and Setoguchi are/were at their best when paired with Koivu.

Bouchard and Rolston were pretty similar no matter who was their center, but I remember Koivu being just fine with them.

Moulson wasn't here long enough to really form an opinion, and I honestly don't even remember who Latendresse played with.

Vanek and Havlat are definitely 2 names that can go on the list of guys that don't play well with Koivu.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Not sure where you got the bolded. Parise playing with Granlund has been covered numerous times. It isn't because he's better with Granlund, and I would wager it isn't because he prefers it either.

My opinion of your list of players going strictly off of a questionable memory-

Parise, Pominville, Heatley, and Setoguchi are/were at their best when paired with Koivu.

Bouchard and Rolston were pretty similar no matter who was their center, but I remember Koivu being just fine with them.

Moulson wasn't here long enough to really form an opinion, and I honestly don't even remember who Latendresse played with.

Vanek and Havlat are definitely 2 names that can go on the list of guys that don't play well with Koivu.

Actually it has been in Russo's blog a couple of time how Parise and Pommer loves to play with him, don't know if that is why they play together though..

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Vanek needs to be with quick, smart players I think. Needs the speed to win battles as we know he isn't going in the corners. Needs smart linemates to match his insane hockey IQ. I think Schroeder deserves a shot eventually, he struggled to score last year but every game he played he created chances with his wheels and like Vanek he's a very smart player.

As for Koivu, I think he should be with Coyle for sure and then either Nino or Zucker. Coyle jives with the grinding style Mikko prefers and Zucker/Nino both are goal scorers to finish Koivu's passes.

PGP
Nino - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Haula - Vanek
Schroeder - Graovac - Fontaine

Haula is rumored to be in great shape and he or Graovac should get a look at 3C so Coyle can go back to RW.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think it's kinda funny how Vanek (although he makes plenty of good points) puts the blame on everything BUT himself.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think it's kinda funny how Vanek (although he makes plenty of good points) puts the blame on everything BUT himself.

Yeah it doesn't look good but he makes some very valid points. He was hurt, on his 4th team in 2 years and had no consistent or especially talented linemates. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a big year, like 65 points. Question is if he can produce in playoffs when defense tightens up and floaters like him are often rendered ineffective.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Vanek needs to be with quick, smart players I think. Needs the speed to win battles as we know he isn't going in the corners. Needs smart linemates to match his insane hockey IQ. I think Schroeder deserves a shot eventually, he struggled to score last year but every game he played he created chances with his wheels and like Vanek he's a very smart player.

As for Koivu, I think he should be with Coyle for sure and then either Nino or Zucker. Coyle jives with the grinding style Mikko prefers and Zucker/Nino both are goal scorers to finish Koivu's passes.

PGP
Nino - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Haula - Vanek
Schroeder - Graovac - Fontaine

Haula is rumored to be in great shape and he or Graovac should get a look at 3C so Coyle can go back to RW.
Both Fletcher and Yeo have said Graovac won't make the team on the 4th line, and Yeo isn't pleased with his camp thus far, nor his play lastnight.

I don't think Graovac will be in Minnesota a week from now at this rate. They want to be mostly down to their team by Saturday.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I agree - I think the top line for tonight's game (Vanek - Coyle - Fontaine) will be line #3 to start the season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Both Fletcher and Yeo have said Graovac won't make the team on the 4th line, and Yeo isn't pleased with his camp thus far, nor his play lastnight.

I don't think Graovac will be in Minnesota a week from now at this rate. They want to be mostly down to their team by Saturday.

Agreed, I suspect we run out
PGP
Nino/Zucker - Koivu - Zucker/Nino
Vanek-Coyle-Fontaine
Schroeder-Haula-Carter
Fedotenko(makes the most sense to eat popcorn nightly without stunting possible future growth, Sutter and Dalpe are other options for 13th though)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

Yeah I understand, those were just ideas, not a fan of Carter at all. I'd like to see Haula and Graovac fill out the bottom six but if Graovac isn't ready I guess I can live with him in Iowa

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I like having kids earn their ice time, not just float around. We have that luxury now where we did not 2-3 years ago.

As for Vanek, he can say whatever he wants. Last year was not good. If he's healthy, has a bump in speed, and is in better condition, I could see him putting up 70+ points again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad