Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Vanek is a frank person and he tells things through his own bias perspective.

But I don't know how that can anything to do with whether he gets 30 goals this year, which is all I care about. (Ok, maybe he also needs to stop the turnovers on the blueline).

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Easily bottom 10 in the league and more than likely bottom 5. It is that bad. Hopefully Granlund and Coyle can take a step forward this year. I thought Coyle was decent last night, and it sounded like Granlund was pretty good on Monday.

We are talking about Koivu and Coyle as they are the depth who Vanek mostly played with. They scored 0.51 ppg and that's with Koivu's brutal start. I don't think there are many teams with better middle six production. I think they are middle of the pack.

J22*

We are talking about Koivu and Coyle as they are the depth who Vanek mostly played with. They scored 0.51 ppg and that's with Koivu's brutal start. I don't think there are many teams with better middle six production. I think they are middle of the pack.

Yeah, but you're taking your best two centers and then saying they are decent for the 2nd and 3rd lines. If you are average for the 2nd and 3rd lines but are way below average for the 1st and 4th, there is no way you can consider yourself average as a whole.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I would actually have to agree with you. Based on that clip (very small smaple size) he looks a lot more fluid and effective in his skating compared to last season.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I would actually have to agree with you. Based on that clip (very small smaple size) he looks a lot more fluid and effective in his skating compared to last season.

his intestines are no longer rubbing against his thighs perhaps? :laugh:

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
I never heard, read or had him say that he actively worked on his skating (I have been following him closely since his college days). So that may be a good thing. I have never seen him skate like that either, the way he is moving his legs in this short clip is distinctly different to last year. Let's see how this all works out...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Let's see him skate like that 5 v 5 before we say anything... the pace always raises in 3 v 3 so far. Always end to end.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Skating is not the biggest issue for him. Faster feet might help him a bit but he simply needs to find more scoring chances for himself. Coyle is more than capable doing all the dirty work for him, he needs to fulfill his role as well. I think he'll be a more solid all-around player this season and his point totals to go up a notch, though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Skating is not the biggest issue for him. Faster feet might help him a bit but he simply needs to find more scoring chances for himself. Coyle is more than capable doing all the dirty work for him, he needs to fulfill his role as well. I think he'll be a more solid all-around player this season and his point totals to go up a notch, though.

Have to disagree. He can't get to scoring spots, either with or without the puck, because he is slow. It's pretty obvious that he often passes the puck because he knows he is going to get caught, not because it's an ideal time to pass. Similar to Heatley.

I am highly skeptical that at age 31 Vanek is going to become an appreciably faster skater. Love me some Dianne Ness, but she is not the only one teaching skating. Can't believe that she has some secret that will turn him into some hockey Cheetah.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure 'hockey cheetah' is essential. But marginal improvement would go a long way with the skills that he still has (hands, head).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will happily jump on the Vanek bandwagon if he scores 35+ goals.

Grumpily jump on if he gets 30.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Good friend of mine works at the Richfield Ice Arena and frequently saw Parise, Okposo, and other NHL'ers working with Diane Ness at 7am multiple times a week this summer, even got a couple chances to talk with her, talked about how the wild paid for all these sessions and other random stuff.

Vanek was brought up in one of those convos cause she was heading to his house after one of those sessions for a paid private session with Thomas.

My friend asked why he pays for private sessions instead of coming to these that his team pays for with Zach and others, her response was somewhere along the lines "he doesn't wake up that early." Also kinda indicating laziness with how she responded.

Hoping those private sessions worked out for him.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If he is getting his skating in, I don't care if it's 6am or 8pm. He shelfed out his own cash so that he could utilize his time how he wants to while getting in everything, too. We all want that in life.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Good friend of mine works at the Richfield Ice Arena and frequently saw Parise, Okposo, and other NHL'ers working with Diane Ness at 7am multiple times a week this summer, even got a couple chances to talk with her, talked about how the wild paid for all these sessions and other random stuff.

Vanek was brought up in one of those convos cause she was heading to his house after one of those sessions for a paid private session with Thomas.

My friend asked why he pays for private sessions instead of coming to these that his team pays for with Zach and others, her response was somewhere along the lines "he doesn't wake up that early." Also kinda indicating laziness with how she responded.

Ugh... skating a Richfield? Are we teaching the team how to fall down a lot like "Fall Down Darby" who grew up on that ice?

J22*

Let's see him skate like that 5 v 5 before we say anything... the pace always raises in 3 v 3 so far. Always end to end.

This post doesn't make any sense to me. If he looks fast 3X3 why should we wait to see how fast he looks when the game slows down at 5X5?

Have to disagree. He can't get to scoring spots, either with or without the puck, because he is slow. It's pretty obvious that he often passes the puck because he knows he is going to get caught, not because it's an ideal time to pass. Similar to Heatley.

I am highly skeptical that at age 31 Vanek is going to become an appreciably faster skater. Love me some Dianne Ness, but she is not the only one teaching skating. Can't believe that she has some secret that will turn him into some hockey Cheetah.

Not even sure what player you were watching last year, but you're greatly underrating Vaneks skating. People see what they want to see I guess.

Fletcher is so smart, he's paying for skating lessons for Okposo a year before he even becomes a Wild player.:sarcasm:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Believe it or not Vanek still is one of the very best around the net. That's where he needs to go. Just forget about that "I need to be the playmaker" crap and head to the net and take care of business.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Think they try out that tip play with Vanek on the PP that they tried a bunch at the beginning of the year last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad