Thomas Vanek Connected in Federal Gambling Investigation [MOD WARNING # 21]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
The timing of this sucks. I just want to focus on Wild hockey. Until this is concluded, it will be a slight distraction. Our team has so much potential next season. We are not just talking about playoffs anymore. It's all about getting to the Finals now. I hope this situation blows over quickly! Vanek is a great addition to this team and he took a huge discount to come here. Go Wild!

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
"Former Buffalo Sabres star Thomas Vanek has been questioned by federal authorities in a local gambling case because his name showed up in wagering records seized during the inquiry, according to individuals familiar with the investigation."
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/07/22/thomas-vanek-gambling/12992495/

No surprise. It was by far the most likely scenario as to why he spent two hours in the Rochester federal building yesterday with his attorney by his side.

If it was testimony in a grand jury proceeding he automatically receives full immunity. I think this is unlikely since the grand jury returned their indictment last month in this matter. If it was for the purpose of providing a deposition to federal prosecutors then he probably got use immunity. He almost certainly has no legal exposure in the matter.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The timing of this sucks. I just want to focus on Wild hockey. Until this is concluded, it will be a slight distraction. Our team has so much potential next season. We are not just talking about playoffs anymore. It's all about getting to the Finals now. I hope this situation blows over quickly! Vanek is a great addition to this team and he took a huge discount to come here. Go Wild!

Would you rather have it be during the season?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
"Former Buffalo Sabres star Thomas Vanek has been questioned by federal authorities in a local gambling case because his name showed up in wagering records seized during the inquiry, according to individuals familiar with the investigation."
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/07/22/thomas-vanek-gambling/12992495/

No surprise. It was by far the most likely scenario as to why he spent two hours in the Rochester federal building yesterday with his attorney by his side.

If it was testimony in a grand jury proceeding he automatically receives full immunity. I think this is unlikely since the grand jury returned their indictment last month in this matter. If it was for the purpose of providing a deposition to federal prosecutors then he probably got use immunity. He almost certainly has no legal exposure in the matter.

Meh, only thing that would bother me is if its found out he was betting against his team or the gambling ring was using outstanding debt as a pressure to influence Vanek's game.

If he was betting disposable income on other sports, the NHL or even his own team I wouldn't care at all.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Nope, perfect timing. Get this out of the way before the season starts.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
By timing I meant this couldn't have happened while he was still with the NY teams or Montreal? That is what I meant by timing.

But yes, the timing as far as the season goes is fine.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Vanek was going to give a deposition, he was only going to do so in the offseason after a contract is signed, so no...that was never going to be an option.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
US Attorneys typically do not adjust their schedule to fit a professional athlete's schedule (or almost anyone for that matter). If the federal grand jury had handed down their indictment in early October, the US Attorney's office isn't going to wait until the end of the NHL season before deposing Vanek (assuming that was the reason he was in Rochester yesterday). If he doesn't come in voluntarily he could be subject to a subpoena. In any event Vanek is on record as saying he wants to fully cooperate with the federal investigation.

While this is happening well before the NHL regular season there is the possibility that Vanek could be called to testify at the criminal trial. Have no idea when the trial takes place but it could be during the season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Well, unless a witness turns against Vanek, he's probably fine. Generally, the gamblers themselves almost always need to be caught in the act.

Because it's impossible to convict somebody for gambling based on just their name written in a ledger. It's strong circumstantial evidence, but it's still circumstantial evidence, and you still need a witness to corroborate that Thomas Vanek the Hockey Player gambled there. It could be a code name. It could be somebody else. Probably him, but you can't convict on "probably."

Instead, the Feds used Vanek's celebrity status to push him to be a witness. A normal joe might have told the Feds that they have nothing on him. Vanek, on the other hand, has a name and a high profile. Feds knock on his door. Say they have Vanek's name in a ledger. Vanek worries because its probably true. Feds get him to come into the fold as a witness, because the Feds need witnesses.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
All this witness talk is getting my hopes up that the Wild sign Tomas Van Eek from a tiny Dutch league to an identical contract, and he bears an uncanny resemblance to Vanek wearing a mustache and glasses.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
No way his lawyer takes him in to talk if he is a target. Just does not happen . The feds have to declare your status up front when they make the request. LOL

Why in the world would they even print that silly story.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The original headline was ridiculous as well. VANEK LINKED TO GAMBLING RING. He was testifying and not charged with anything.

I could speculate as to his involvement, but I won't. Wait and see until the story comes out. I don't think this will go anywhere personally.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That article already makes it pretty clear why he's being deposed. He gambled on non-hockey games. A misdemeanor at worst...just as bad as jay walking, not quite as bad as littering.

It's already a non-story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad