Thomas Vanek Connected in Federal Gambling Investigation [MOD WARNING # 21]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
There are no accusations in regards to Vanek. From the article all we can glean is that he was requested to be a witness in the case. No conclusions can be drawn as of yet I would say.

Joe Cool

Jun 2, 2012
There are no accusations in regards to Vanek. From the article all we can glean is that he was requested to be a witness in the case. No conclusions can be drawn as of yet I would say.
Said of being connected in a gambling investigation by law enforcement.

Last edited:

tomthestone*

Accused of being connected in a gambling investigation

Sounds like he's being used as a witness if you read the whole story from Pro Hockey Talk. This also might be stemming from activity during the 2004-05 lockout year when he played in Rochester.

Leading into the article by saying he's a figure in a federal investigation is a hit-seeker and presents a slightly misleading angle in my opinion.

Joe Cool

Jun 2, 2012
He's been asked/has to testify as a witness, not formally accused of any wrongdoing. Big difference. That being said, it would be great if our latest free agent signing wasn't tangled up in any of this.

edit: Russo blog link http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/268016761.html
Accused wrong word scratch that. but law enforcement says he is part of story of the investigation. that is what i meant, and I do hope this is much about nothing.

Last edited:

Bps21*

How many times have you guys been called to testify about something you know nothing about?

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
If he was gambling on sports, I hope he doesn't get in too much trouble, because it was illegal. As a prominent sports player he will probably be fine for playing hockey this year.

The fact that it's illegal in this country:facepalm:

I'll just refrain from going on a tangent on about this... Although it hurts...

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
I'm interested in what the league's policy is concerning sports betting by players in the NHL. Let's say Player A is called to testify in a criminal case involving an illegal betting operation. In that testimony Player A admits to placing bets with the betting operation. Let's further assume that none of the bets were on any NHL hockey games. Would the league take any action against Player A? Suspension, fine, sternly worded letter, ignore it completely?

I don't think the league would do anything but I don't know what the league's policy is on such matters. There was the infamous Operation Slapshot from several years ago but I don't recall that involving any players, just Rick Tocchet who was an assistant coach at the time.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm interested in what the league's policy is concerning sports betting by players in the NHL. Let's say Player A is called to testify in a criminal case involving an illegal betting operation. In that testimony Player A admits to placing bets with the betting operation. Let's further assume that none of the bets were on any NHL hockey games. Would the league take any action against Player A? Suspension, fine, sternly worded letter, ignore it completely?

I don't think the league would do anything but I don't know what the league's policy is on such matters. There was the infamous Operation Slapshot from several years ago but I don't recall that involving any players, just Rick Tocchet who was an assistant coach at the time.

If he bet on NHL games I sure hope he didn't bet on any games he was playing in. I would be surprised if that wasn't sanctioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad