Speculation: Thomas Vanek’s next team

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
I think if his play continues and a good/decent playoff follows he could be looking for a longer term contract (2-3 years) at a moderate cap hit (3-4 mil). He had two years on short term, low budget contracts to prove himself and I think he did show he can still play good hockey. Still, predicting the team is a tough one...CBJ may just be exactly what he needs. I would like to see him continue his career there, hopefully it will work out. Reminds me somewhat of those earlier Sabres teams Vanek played on.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He’s been on quite the variety of teams since leaving Buffalo:

Islanders
Habs
Wild
Red Wings
Panthers
Canucks
Blue Jackets

What will his next destination be?
I love vanek if you accept his flaws he is great at what he does . I wouldn’t mind him on any team especially for how cheap he is. Just gotta have a coach that uses him right

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean, why not re-sign him in Columbus.

Who would've thought out of all teams he's been traded to @ the deadline, it's Tortorella's Blue Jackets that seem like a solid fit.

If im Jarmo i offer 1 yr deal similar to what he got last summer. "Worst" case scenario he gets outplayed by younger guys, sits a lot of games but can come into the lineup if injuries hit. Best case scenario he's a productive player to a team that's often times struggling to score.

For Vanek, might as well sign that deal with a team you're familiar with and don't have to worry about a trade. I doubt anyone is going to offer him a multi-year deal.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
For Vanek, might as well sign that deal with a team you're familiar with and don't have to worry about a trade. I doubt anyone is going to offer him a multi-year deal.
Why do you think that? His problem in Minnesota was his still astronomical cap hit (6.5mil) and they wanted to free up this cap space to use for something else. Vanek has done two "prove me wrong" deals now, why would he have to sell himself short in free agency after two ~50 point campaigns in those years? There are still the playoffs to be played which is I think the last wildcard on his "prove me wrong" resumee which could kill his chance at a decent multi year contract. But if he can perform up to or exceeding expectations I guarantee there will be teams offering him decent money on a ~3 year contract.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Why do you think that? His problem in Minnesota was his still astronomical cap hit (6.5mil) and they wanted to free up this cap space to use for something else. Vanek has done two "prove me wrong" deals now, why would he have to sell himself short in free agency after two ~50 point campaigns in those years? There are still the playoffs to be played which is I think the last wildcard on his "prove me wrong" resumee which could kill his chance at a decent multi year contract. But if he can perform up to or exceeding expectations I guarantee there will be teams offering him decent money on a ~3 year contract.

I don't think those have been "prove me wrong" contracts.. the guy has over 700 pts in the league and has not scored below 40 pts in a single NHL season. Everybody knows exactly what he brings to the table, and his reputation is well known.

2 years in a row interest have been fairly low, it's not going to change now. He's 34 years old now (turns 35 during next season).

Nobody has a reason to give him term, GM's aren't going to fight over who gets Thomas Vanek. And if you really want him, you can just up the dollar amount on that 1 yr offer which isn't difficult considering he's got like ~2M the last 2 years.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Guy scores at least 2 points every time he plays in Boston. He should come to the Bruins, he'd be a point per game just from the home games!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wish he signed with NYI. Yeah, he would have been overpaid, but he’s still productive and would have been a good secondary scorer who can play on the powerplay. Better than Andrew Ladd that’s for sure...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Detroit again. IIRC, the reason he hung out on the UFA market so long was because there was mutual interest between him and Detroit, but the Wings had to iron out the whole AA/Sheahan situation before they could sign him. When it looked like it was going to stretch into training camp, he took the offer from the Canucks instead.

That said, I don't know if there would be room since the Wings are apparently looking to have Rasmussen and Svechnikov on the main roster next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad