Thomas Raffl..... PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't get the whole discussion :laugh: Raffl's job is to play tough but more importantly to show he can be a useful HOCKEY PLAYER for the Winnipeg Jets. Peluso is here to play tough and, if possible, be somewhat of a useful hockey player for the Winnipeg Jets. So if Raffl wants to go with a heavyweight thats okay, let him do it. If Peluso is on the ice and wants to do exactly his job on our roster, let him jump in.

I think nobody doubts Raffl ability to fight and that's not at all the point about it. If you have Peluso on the ice you want him taking the 5 minutes and potential beating (or beating for the other guys face). If he's not on the ice and Raffl decides to go, that's okay as well.

I think it is a worth while discussion, since if the possibility existed that a player was able to fight at the same level as Peluso but at the same time was a considerably better hockey player. That you would slot into the line up by choice rather than sacrifice skill to have a head puncher available. That player would have a definite advantage in making the final 23 man roster.

As it is now dressing Peluso means you sacrifice your 4th line's ability to play more than 5 mins a game and only in very sheltered situations. Now imagine your heavy weight was a legit bottom 6 hockey player who can play regular unsheltered minutes. That gives a team a definite competitive advantage.

And since the enforcer's role is dying anyways, much better to have an actual hockey player take it on in the increasingly rare situations, than to make the competitive sacrifice dress a thug for that purpose.

Interestingly Raffl is quoted in the local paper hoping he gets the chance to show he can fight. I wouldn't be surprised if Raffle drops the mitts tonight in an attempt to make the team.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Do you recall the where that was said (which paper) or perhaps have a link?

I really hope he has a chance with Bolig.

“I'm sure I'm gonna get my chance and I'm going to get to show that I can fight too,†the 29-year-old Austrian said. “There's not a lot of fighting going on back home but I can defend myself and I can step up.â€

2nd storyline in this article: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/10/...ben-chiarot-surprises-coach-with-rapid-growth

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If that's the quote that KB was talking about, thanks for it. I'd already posted the tweet about that.

I thought he was referring to some earlier quote by him, prior to the game in question.

No that is the quote. The Free Press has the same quote in this morning's paper.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think it is a worth while discussion, since if the possibility existed that a player was able to fight at the same level as Peluso but at the same time was a considerably better hockey player. That you would slot into the line up by choice rather than sacrifice skill to have a head puncher available. That player would have a definite advantage in making the final 23 man roster.

As it is now dressing Peluso means you sacrifice your 4th line's ability to play more than 5 mins a game and only in very sheltered situations. Now imagine your heavy weight was a legit bottom 6 hockey player who can play regular unsheltered minutes. That gives a team a definite competitive advantage.

And since the enforcer's role is dying anyways, much better to have an actual hockey player take it on in the increasingly rare situations, than to make the competitive sacrifice dress a thug for that purpose.

Interestingly Raffl is quoted in the local paper hoping he gets the chance to show he can fight. I wouldn't be surprised if Raffle drops the mitts tonight in an attempt to make the team.
Agree with this and it's worth emphasizing that this discussion is not so much about Peluso, but about icing the best bottom 6, since that is where Raffl slots in. In that sense, he is in direct competition with Peluso for a spot.
Re: the bolded, we are unlikely to find a player who fits the bill, since Peluso is such a great fighter. But, if we have team toughness, we don't need a dedicated fighter. I will miss Peluso's fights if we waive him, but I'd much rather be celebrating playoff wins than cheering a fight.
Frankly, it is just plain naive to think that either Raffl or Peluso are looking to fight for the team or their teammates at this point. Both are there to win a spot for themselves and beat the competition. Period. Peluso was not doing Raffl any favours by stealing his thunder, nor did Raffl need any favours. He wants Maurice to know that, in Peluso's absence, he can count on him to engage the other teams bullies when necessary, win, lose or draw.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Frankly, it is just plain naive to think that either Raffl or Peluso are looking to fight for the team or their teammates at this point. Both are there to win a spot for themselves and beat the competition. Period. Peluso was not doing Raffl any favours by stealing his thunder, nor did Raffl need any favours.

Yeah, you got to love that every man for himself attitude during the pre-season. I can see this happening tonight:

Stafford in his own zone, brings the puck over the blue line and... oh, now Ehlers comes up from behind, lifts his stick and takes off with the puck over centre ice, makes a move to his...

Whoa, look out! Scheifele just leveled Ehlers to separate him from the puck, takes the puck in over the blue line and drifts a shot through a bunch of Flames players jostling each for position to defend their goal mouth, and... Scores! Scheifele!

Yep, just a real heads-up play by Scheifele there. Really showed Ehlers that he wanted that more.

:D

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Yeah, you got to love that every man for himself attitude during the pre-season. I can see this happening tonight:

Stafford in his own zone, brings the puck over the blue line and... oh, now Ehlers comes up from behind, lifts his stick and takes off with the puck over centre ice, makes a move to his...

Whoa, look out! Scheifele just leveled Ehlers to separate him from the puck, takes the puck in over the blue line and drifts a shot through a bunch of Flames players jostling each for position to defend their goal mouth, and... Scores! Scheifele!

Yep, just a real heads-up play by Scheifele there. Really showed Ehlers that he wanted that more.

Scheifele would be lucky to score with two Flames goalies in the crease fighting to be teacher's pet.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
If that's the quote that KB was talking about, thanks for it. I'd already posted the tweet about that.

I thought he was referring to some earlier quote by him, prior to the game in question.

On H&L yesterday Laawless said he spoke with Raffl's agent prior to the Flames game. The agent told Lawless that. Raffll can fight and watch for it in the next two games. Lawless's response to the agent was "really" and the agent said yes "google it".

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
On H&L yesterday Laawless said he spoke with Raffl's agent prior to the Flames game. The agent told Lawless that. Raffll can fight and watch for it in the next two games. Lawless's response to the agent was "really" and the agent said yes "google it".

He's got a hell of a fight card. :laugh:

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=thomas+raffl+hockey+fights

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tomas+raffl+fight

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2685/fightcard/reg2006

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Physically Raffl looks like Scott Parker
120213_parker.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree with this and it's worth emphasizing that this discussion is not so much about Peluso, but about icing the best bottom 6, since that is where Raffl slots in. In that sense, he is in direct competition with Peluso for a spot.
Re: the bolded, we are unlikely to find a player who fits the bill, since Peluso is such a great fighter. But, if we have team toughness, we don't need a dedicated fighter. I will miss Peluso's fights if we waive him, but I'd much rather be celebrating playoff wins than cheering a fight.
Frankly, it is just plain naive to think that either Raffl or Peluso are looking to fight for the team or their teammates at this point. Both are there to win a spot for themselves and beat the competition. Period. Peluso was not doing Raffl any favours by stealing his thunder, nor did Raffl need any favours. He wants Maurice to know that, in Peluso's absence, he can count on him to engage the other teams bullies when necessary, win, lose or draw.

The one reservation I have is that Raffl is playing without a contract right now. If he gets hurt he gets nothing AFAIK. There may be some insurance.

The important word in that last sentence is 'engage'. It is not necessary to win the fight in order to get the job done although winning is better. It is more important to step up. This is what Thorburn does. He gets in a few licks but loses more often than not. But the message is that you will not be able to target our best players without consequences. There are others who will step up too. Raffl wants to be counted as one of them.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

:handclap::handclap::handclap:
I loved it! Watching him skate in and say, umm, no, you're fighting me instead. That's one of those get up out of your seat and scream, Hell Yeah moments. If that deposits me into the Idiot Fan category, I can live with that label.:D
I assume from the quote directly above that your "every man for himself" parody is intended as a defense of Peluso's actions as team-centric. It's kinda funny, but not much of a defence :)
Everyone tries to put themselves in the best possible light in the pre-season, especially those on the bubble. Great hockey players try to play great hockey. 29-year old NHL rookies with size try to impress with both skill and toughness. And players on the margin, with limited hockey skill, but great fighting ability, at a time when fighters are an endangered species, do whatever they can to stand out...even if it involves pushing the competition aside. Make no mistake, in that scrum, Raffl was a bigger threat to Peluso than Bollig was to Raffl.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I assume from the quote directly above that your "every man for himself" parody is intended as a defense of Peluso's actions as team-centric. It's kinda funny, but not much of a defence :)
Everyone tries to put themselves in the best possible light in the pre-season, especially those on the bubble. Great hockey players try to play great hockey. 29-year old NHL rookies with size try to impress with both skill and toughness. And players on the margin, with limited hockey skill, but great fighting ability, at a time when fighters are an endangered species, do whatever they can to stand out...even if it involves pushing the competition aside. Make no mistake, in that scrum, Raffl was a bigger threat to Peluso than Bollig was to Raffl.

Remember when Harrison stepped in to fight Carcillo when he was ready to fight Ladd? Such a selfish play...

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Raffl says that he can fight, well be careful what you wish for. If he fights tonight and gets destroyed by a heavyweight than he can kiss that 1 way contract goodbye.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Raffl says that he can fight, well be careful what you wish for. If he fights tonight and gets destroyed by a heavyweight than he can kiss that 1 way contract goodbye.

If it wasn't completely irrelevant it would still help his case more than hurt. Ws and Ls in fights don't count in the standings. Willingness is worth more than fighting ability.

Does it occur to anybody that Raffl might be competing more with Thor than with Peluso?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Why? He's not here to fight.

I agree completely but it seems that everyone including his agent say that he can fight. On this board there are people that are saying that Peluso was being selfish for jumping into that fight alluding that Raffl would take Peluso's job if he showed well against Bollig. What i'm tring to say is that Raffl should stick to what he has been doing in the preseason and not try to show people that he can fight he seems to be a more than capable 4th liner at the moment.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If it wasn't completely irrelevant it would still help his case more than hurt. Ws and Ls in fights don't count in the standings. Willingness is worth more than fighting ability.

Does it occur to anybody that Raffl might be competing more with Thor than with Peluso?

Yes its true that he probably is competing more with Thorbs, lets face it Peluso will only see about 15 or so games this year. As to you saying fights don't count in the standings this may be true but more than one game has turned with a a fight or two. Willingness to fight only helps if you win if you lose they call you Chris Thorburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad