Thomas headed to Dallas for Dan Ellis

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
It does appear that he has matured since that time. Except for the whiny "pump my tires" SCF issue.

Erick*

No longer hate, I have moved forward. I still don't trust him to be this great goalie that most here are saying. He will be very good for us if he stays healthy, but he is definitley not a saviour for this team.

See what I have said about his demands in the past. It was not speculation, it was fact. He was as arrogant as Keenan was, so it was both of them. Buthe was still a prima donna that was not as great as he thought he was. Just count the rings on his fingers.

There have been a lot of great players in the history of sports who have never won a ring. This whole "winner/loser" thing needs to stop. It makes people like the Tomas Kopecky's of the world more than the Roberto Luongo's. :snakehead

Luongo has been a great goalie his whole entire career. Instead of looking at rings, look at his numbers. That's all he can control. No goalie is a "savior" because it's a team game. Hopefully we improve the team around him.

As for the last paragraph, I do agree with you on that. His demands back then were dumb, and I do think that he never received as much criticism as he should've gotten for those demands (like wanting Jamie McLennan to stay on the team, for example).

With that said, he handled himself really well in Vancouver and Mike Keenan is no longer here.

We got a top-10 goalie who's popular down here, which is exactly what a franchise reaching its peak in irrelevancy needed. And we got him for two guys who were mostly disappointments in their time here.

This Luongo deal is the best move that Tallon has made as a Panthers GM.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The biggest issue I have with the trade is that we gave Markstrom for him. If you want acquire Luongo, fine. But don't trade Markstrom for him. Unless you think we are closer to contending than I think we are.

Erick*

The biggest issue I have with the trade is that we gave Markstrom for him. If you want acquire Luongo, fine. But don't trade Markstrom for him. Unless you think we are closer to contending than I think we are.

Luongo is the franchise goalie now. No real need for Markstrom.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Markstrom is 24 and wasn't even good enough to be a back-up for this team. Scott Clemmensen had better numbers and out played him in the end. I don't really understand what the Panthers lost by trading Markstrom except "potential" and a lot of speculation that he one day might be something in this league.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
What was the beef back in '06 again? IIRC he was mad that Jamie Maclennan wasn't going to be resigned as his backup (the two were good friends) and he wanted a certain goalie coach and was basically whining/demanding a bunch of things and Iron Mike got tired of it. Any more to this?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
^ Thanks to anyone who responds to my above question. Thinking of Luongo and McLennan reminded me of this gem from 2006, IMO it's the best TSN segment ever, I encourage everyone to give it a watch :laugh:

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
What was the beef back in '06 again? IIRC he was mad that Jamie Maclennan wasn't going to be resigned as his backup (the two were good friends) and he wanted a certain goalie coach and was basically whining/demanding a bunch of things and Iron Mike got tired of it. Any more to this?
Gilles Lupien, the man who orchestrated everything :soap:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Markstrom is 24 and wasn't even good enough to be a back-up for this team. Scott Clemmensen had better numbers and out played him in the end. I don't really understand what the Panthers lost by trading Markstrom except "potential" and a lot of speculation that he one day might be something in this league.
Yeah, he's 24 not 27.
Luongo is not some elite player that we're bringing in here. What's going to happening when all the newness wears off?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I thought he contacted Van to kick the tires on Luongo?
Tallon said (IIRC it was the phone call to NHL Live the day Lu got traded) that he had some talks with Vancouver even before the recent possibility of acquiring Lu. Didn't say anything specific, just had that they had talked.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Tallon said (IIRC it was the phone call to NHL Live the day Lu got traded) that he had some talks with Vancouver even before the recent possibility of acquiring Lu. Didn't say anything specific, just had that they had talked.

Yeah you're right, he called and talked to Gillis about other players before they talked about Luongo. I wonder who?

CoolburnIsGone

This Luongo deal is the best move that Tallon has made as a Panthers GM.
Oh how people forget, no way is the Luongo deal his best move. That clearly belongs to the Campbell for Olesz deal. He gave up something with negative value to get a (albeit overpaid) top 4 d-man. In the Luongo deal, he still gave up 2 guys who had some value. I'd actually rank the Luongo deal as his 3rd best deal...behind dumping Booth & Reinprecht and getting 2 useful players in Samuelsson & Sturm in return (especially considering most believe the Canucks will be buying out the last yr of Booth's contract this summer).

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Dale_Tallon/110

Jan 19, 2006

Keenan and his agent got into a pissing match.

The rumor at the time was that a deal was in place and then the agent came back with a list of three demands - one of which was keeping McClellan.

This apparently infuriated Keenan so much that he fried the part of his brain that controls common sense.

Erick*

This makes no sense. I don't know what that was.

Why does it make no sense? Luongo is clearly going to be the guy here now long-term. There's no real need for Markstrom, who was given plenty of chances and continually disappointed.

Often times, when a goalie is traded for, another goalie goes back the other way in return. It happened in the Luongo deal (Markstrom) and it happened in the Thomas deal (Ellis), as well.

Erick*

Oh how people forget, no way is the Luongo deal his best move. That clearly belongs to the Campbell for Olesz deal. He gave up something with negative value to get a (albeit overpaid) top 4 d-man. In the Luongo deal, he still gave up 2 guys who had some value. I'd actually rank the Luongo deal as his 3rd best deal...behind dumping Booth & Reinprecht and getting 2 useful players in Samuelsson & Sturm in return (especially considering most believe the Canucks will be buying out the last yr of Booth's contract this summer).

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Dale_Tallon/110

The Campbell deal is up there. It's a similar deal. The only reason why we gave up less for Campbell is because Campbell's contract is worse than Luongo's. Campbell was strictly a salary dump at the time for Chicago.

The Booth deal wasn't better than this deal. If anything, I'd say that the Ballard deal was better than the Booth deal.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

The rumor at the time was that a deal was in place and then the agent came back with a list of three demands - one of which was keeping McClellan.

This apparently infuriated Keenan so much that he fried the part of his brain that controls common sense.

Oh right, I forgot about the infamous "list of 3 demands." I'm sure it wasn't just the lawyer though and that Lu had a hand in said list being demanded. Hopefully he's matured since then.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Top level goalie at a cap hit of 4.53. Miller will be above 6 and Louie is better than Halak and others on his level. Markstrom wasn't close to being ready and this shores up the position, at a great rate.

There's a number of reasons why I don't like Luongo, but I've softened a but on his being back...probably because it seemed so possible that he was coming, and his cap hit certainly helps.

Erick*

Did anyone see Timmy's gear in his first game with the Stars? Looked pretty hilarious out there. There's a thread on the main board.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Did anyone see Timmy's gear in his first game with the Stars? Looked pretty hilarious out there. There's a thread on the main board.

And looks like he's there #1 now. Lehtonen out with concussion

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

I remember that a deal was ready to be signed, but then Louie's agent went and came back with demands, like you said. I thought another one was he wanted his old goalie coach as well, who was with a different team at the time, if I remember correctly.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I remember that a deal was ready to be signed, but then Louie's agent went and came back with demands, like you said. I thought another one was he wanted his old goalie coach as well, who was with a different team at the time, if I remember correctly.

Francois Allaire I believe it was, and he was with the Anaheim Ducks at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad