Thomas headed to Dallas for Dan Ellis

Erick*

I guess keeping in mind that we very well could've kept them on at higher price than willing to pay that way. By this logic I almost expect Kessler to resign now. To lose a guy like that for nothing.

To me, dumps, otherwise they all did their job here.

How are these deals salary dumps? :help:

These were all business trades. We actually added salary with all these deals just by acquiring Luongo. I have no idea how you think these are all salary dumps, especially Matthias.

Goc and Weaver were traded because that's the business of sports. Pending UFA's on bad teams get traded. You get value (picks) for those guys and then replace them in the offseason. That happens all the time.

But seriously, we weren't even sellers this trade deadline. The organization was clearly seeking to add value any way they could.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
How are these deals salary dumps? :help:

These were all business trades. We actually added salary with all these deals just by acquiring Luongo. I have no idea how you think these are all salary dumps, especially Matthias.

Goc and Weaver were traded because that's the business of sports. Pending UFA's on bad teams get traded. You get value (picks) for those guys and then replace them in the offseason. That happens all the time.

But seriously, we weren't even sellers this trade deadline. The organization was clearly seeking to add value any way they could.
:teach:

I'm not as butthurt over losing them as you might want to try and make me out to be, but they we're good players that I feel should've been Cats until the likes of Grimaldi and Trocheck are cracking the lineup. THEN trade them if there isn't room for em. Especially Goc who isn't married to the C position if we're overflowed, but he sure can do one hell of a consistent reliable 3rd of 4th line job.

I'll try again- I consider not signing free agents worthy of being resigned, a dump. We needed Luongo money, while keeping whatever offseason spending money in the bank, so we didn't end up riding those worthy guys until the end (yes, even Matthias).

If you don't understand, PM me. I'll even explain further the reasons as to why stats don't tell the full story.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
A lot of you are over-exaggerating on how terrible Dan Ellis is. It's similar to the hyperbole on how terrible some think Clemmensen is.

They're both backup goalies in the NHL and have been for a long time. It is what it is.

Ellis has had some success before. He can handle 20-25 games next year. Luongo will start the other 55-60.

Backup goalies are mostly a product of the team in front of them anyway. How many backup goalies are actually good?
We got our guy in net already. We weren't going to overpay for another netminder in the offseason. Who did you guys want to backup?

When they play the Panthers all of them. :laugh::laugh:

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Keep in mind once Clemmer is gone next season, Ellis could head to the AHL for the Rampage and we could pick up a goalie to back up Lou. Or promote Houser even, which I doubt.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
This trade is awful. We would have been better off just giving away Thomas for nothing and signing a decent backup like Thomas Greiss in the offseason.

Now we're stuck with another awful backup goalie next year.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Keep in mind once Clemmer is gone next season, Ellis could head to the AHL for the Rampage and we could pick up a goalie to back up Lou. Or promote Houser even, which I doubt.

Even though our new owners have deeper pockets, I doubt they want to pay Dan Ellis $1million to play in San Antonio.

That's just bad business.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Just looked at the rest of the Luongo press conference that TSN didn't show, and Tallon said that Ellis was a guy he looked to sign a few years ago.

So there's some other interested other than being a thrown-in for Thomas.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
As a loyalty factor, I don't like one bit that TT left upset. I didn't want him to go this way. I really hope that's all speculation at this point. Personally I would had rather kept him over overrated Luongo and pick up another goalie next year.
Tallon must have really not liked Markstrom. Plus he must really like people who say they want to play here.
I would have much rather he had just go and pick a goalie some other way than leaving us with Luongo, Ellis, and Clem.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
This trade is awful. We would have been better off just giving away Thomas for nothing and signing a decent backup like Thomas Greiss in the offseason.

Now we're stuck with another awful backup goalie next year.

He's of the same skill level as Clem and Clem isn't bad backup material. Clem is gone next year, Ellis is a bit younger and a bit cheaper. Only thing that I don't like is that he has another year in his contract but like gizmo said he can go to the Rampage and mentor Houser and our possible draft pick goalie then go on his way. Other than the extra year on his contract I don't care about this.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Tallon must have really not liked Markstrom. Plus he must really like people who say they want to play here.
I would have much rather he had just go and pick a goalie some other way than leaving us with Luongo, Ellis, and Clem.

A rumour I just heard was that Thomas was non committal about resigning here next year. If that's true, the next best UFA was Jaro Halak. Are you really that upset we have Luongo over Markstrom or Halak? Ellis is bad, but he can be bought out, and Clem is gone in a month.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Gotta love the Ellis bashing and buyout talk....guy hasn't even played a game for us yet. Relax.

He's making 900,000. If he's as good as or better than Clemm, it's a bargain. If he's not, send him packing. No big deal.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Loved Timmy while he was here and wish him the best of luck but our #1 goalie is Louie now!

It's no secret Timmy was not happy about the Loungo trade and that there is bad blood between the two. Got to think DT did not want a Timmy/Luongo distraction(a la Schneider/Luongo in Vancouver). Even if it is only for the last 20games you don't want that for Loungo. You want him to have as easy a transition back to Florida as possible.

And with it all happening so late Ellis was probably the only thing DT could get so he pulled the trigger rather then keeping Timmy and Louie here together. Ellis isn't that bad and if he is you waive him or buy him out. I for one think he is at least an upgrade over Clemm.... Not by much but still an upgrade.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Gotta love the Ellis bashing and buyout talk....guy hasn't even played a game for us yet. Relax.

He's making 900,000. If he's as good as or better than Clemm, it's a bargain. If he's not, send him packing. No big deal.

Dan Ellis is 33, so despite not playing a game here, you know what you are getting: a goalie that's about as good as Scott Clemmensen. Though most posters here hate Clem with a passion, I'm not one of them, but I still feel there are better upgrades in the off season.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
A rumour I just heard was that Thomas was non committal about resigning here next year. If that's true, the next best UFA was Jaro Halak. Are you really that upset we have Luongo over Markstrom or Halak? Ellis is bad, but he can be bought out, and Clem is gone in a month.
Hey, Luongo was a good goalie when he was here, but he was traded. I moved on. It seems like this is taking me back to pre 2010, I never wanted to go back there again. Well, maybe not pre 2010, Luongo was better then. We're going to be a mediocre team with him probably worse. Then we'll be at this point we're at now instead with a 35 year old goaltender as our future instead of a 24 year old. I understand some people like him, but that doesn't mean I have to. Doesn't mean I have to like trading a 24 year goaltender for him either.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm not entirely happy with this deal, but it's not the end of the world. I would have been happier with Thomas backing up Luongo than Ellis, but I don't know how happy Thomas would be playing 20-25 games next season. The goalie market isn't terrific out there and for some reason Tallon sees a way for Ellis to play decently here. Hopefully our offense plays well in front of Ellis if he's going to possibly allow up to three goals a game on average.

I wish Thomas luck in Dallas and enjoyed having him here this season. A man that definitely loves playing the game even at his age and certainly has one of the more unique personalities that I've seen.

Jan 19, 2006
Hey, Luongo was a good goalie when he was here, but he was traded. I moved on. It seems like this is taking me back to pre 2010, I never wanted to go back there again. Well, maybe not pre 2010, Luongo was better then. We're going to be a mediocre team with him probably worse. Then we'll be at this point we're at now instead with a 35 year old goaltender as our future instead of a 24 year old. I understand some people like him, but that doesn't mean I have to. Doesn't mean I have to like trading a 24 year goaltender for him either.

More people would be of your opinion (you would have had a strong majority 12 mos ago), but Markstrom's injury history and on ice performance this year shook the confidence of a lot of people on this board - and obviously Tallon as well.

I think Markstrom will do well, but there is no guarantee that he will ever be as good a goaltender as Luongo is right now. He may be a Vezina trophy candidate - he may be a career backup. (Personally I think he'll end up an upper tier netminder by the time he's in his late 20s.)

Here's the core of the matter: The Panthers just don't have the luxury of depending on him... They don't have the luxury of keeping his job open for him with temporary fixes hoping he finds his game sooner rather than later.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I may be in the minority here but IMO Thomas stopped giving "full" efforts when the Oly selection was revealed. To me he lost that extra gear he had early on when he would steal games out if pure skill. Respect him but I'm glad the team moved on.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
I may be in the minority here but IMO Thomas stopped giving "full" efforts when the Oly selection was revealed. To me he lost that extra gear he had early on when he would steal games out if pure skill. Respect him but I'm glad the team moved on.

100% agree. he hasn't been the same timmy he was before the oly selections

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad