Thomas headed to Dallas for Dan Ellis

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I remember that a deal was ready to be signed, but then Louie's agent went and came back with demands, like you said. I thought another one was he wanted his old goalie coach as well, who was with a different team at the time, if I remember correctly.

Yeah the demands were:

1. Bring back Jamie Mac as backup
2. Bring back old goalie coach
3. ????? Still can't remember 3.

Either way he was being a prima donna.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Yeah the demands were:

1. Bring back Jamie Mac as backup
2. Bring back old goalie coach
3. ????? Still can't remember 3.

Either way he was being a prima donna.

I think they did that because of the way Keenan treated the situation. Martin stepped in at the last minute to try and salvage the situation, but it was too late. Luongo should have never left!

Caustic

Feb 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Firstly, congrats on getting Luongo. I'm very sad to see him leave the Canucks, but he deserved better than the treatment he received in Vancouver the last couple of years. I hope he does real well for you guys.

I think in light of everything that happened in Vancouver, there was little choice but to get rid of TT if Luongo was coming in. It would make no sense to have Lu face another tough situation right after getting traded. So the move was required as part of the process to get Luongo. Could you guys have got a better backup than Ellis? Well, I agree with most who say he's a pretty horrible goalie - but then, I don't remember a ton of teams looking to acquire TT when he came back to the game and perhaps Ellis was the easiest, cheapest option for a NHL class (and I use that term lightly) goalie.

The fact is, Luongo will want to play as many games as possible so I don't expect you guys to see a lot of Ellis anyway.

So - again - congrats. I feel the Canucks got fleeced in this deal, but at least it makes sense for Lu - who really deserved to move on.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
With Ellis he is what he is. And if he is THAT bad with us then he 's only 900k and can be bought out. Cheap back ups are really not hard to find either. So it is a very low risk move.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think they did that because of the way Keenan treated the situation. Martin stepped in at the last minute to try and salvage the situation, but it was too late. Luongo should have never left!
What did Keenan do? Didn't Keenan only get mad after Lu made up this list?

Firstly, congrats on getting Luongo. I'm very sad to see him leave the Canucks, but he deserved better than the treatment he received in Vancouver the last couple of years. I hope he does real well for you guys.

I think in light of everything that happened in Vancouver, there was little choice but to get rid of TT if Luongo was coming in. It would make no sense to have Lu face another tough situation right after getting traded. So the move was required as part of the process to get Luongo. Could you guys have got a better backup than Ellis? Well, I agree with most who say he's a pretty horrible goalie - but then, I don't remember a ton of teams looking to acquire TT when he came back to the game and perhaps Ellis was the easiest, cheapest option for a NHL class (and I use that term lightly) goalie.

The fact is, Luongo will want to play as many games as possible so I don't expect you guys to see a lot of Ellis anyway.

So - again - congrats. I feel the Canucks got fleeced in this deal, but at least it makes sense for Lu - who really deserved to move on.

Tim Thomas requested a trade the day before the deadline. It's hard to get good value when opposing teams know your player wants out. I'd have rather just gotten like a 6th round pick, but our coach loved Ellis in Nashville and I think convinced DT to grab him (also why I think Horachek is back next year)

Jan 19, 2006
I can't recall the specifics, but I think the rumors were that Keenan berated Luongo on a team flight. Shortly thereafter, Luongo made the shortlist of demands. Was an ugly situation all around.

Pretty much how I remember it too.

I suspect that Keenan just used that list of demands to convince ownership that Luongo was unreasonable so he could get their approval to ship him out.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
What did Keenan do? Didn't Keenan only get mad after Lu made up this list?

Tim Thomas requested a trade the day before the deadline. It's hard to get good value when opposing teams know your player wants out. I'd have rather just gotten like a 6th round pick, but our coach loved Ellis in Nashville and I think convinced DT to grab him (also why I think Horachek is back next year)

Can't remember the interview exactly, but I think Tallon mentioned being interested in Ellis previously. I want to say it was interview with Goldie.

ratmanfu

Jun 23, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
Pretty much how I remember it too.

I suspect that Keenan just used that list of demands to convince ownership that Luongo was unreasonable so he could get their approval to ship him out.

And I think there was an arbitration the year prior, or something along those lines. Martin tried to step in and smooth everything over, but all was lost since Luongo had become increasingly distrustful of Keenan and the organization.

All I really remember is being beside myself about the whole ordeal, just resigned to the notion that it was time for both parties to move their separate ways.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
i've been thinking. a trade that would've made more sense would've been thomas to the nucks for lou maybe with add ons. thomas could've helped them get to the playoffs. i think van is making dreadful moves unless they're trying to tank. oh well, who knows what went on and what was discussed. just a thought.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Ellis is a good locker room guy and a serviceable backup. He's not going to cause any controversy and let's be honest, Lou should and will get a vasttttt majority of the starts next season. Ellis has the ability to steal a game or two, but shouldn't be relied upon heavily and he won't. For 900k the Panthers could do a lot worse.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Ellis is a good locker room guy and a serviceable backup. He's not going to cause any controversy and let's be honest, Lou should and will get a vasttttt majority of the starts next season. Ellis has the ability to steal a game or two, but shouldn't be relied upon heavily and he won't. For 900k the Panthers could do a lot worse.

He should do as Lu's backup.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

He should do as Lu's backup.

So you guys were Clemmer fans? Ellis = Clemmer.

Erick*

So you guys were Clemmer fans? Ellis = Clemmer.

I honestly didn't mind Scott Clemmensen as much as some other people did. He had a winning record in his time here. If Ellis can do what he did at 900k, I'll take it. A backup goalie's job is to accept his role and not be terrible.

Lola

Future Panthers
Mar 30, 2006
Central Florida
I can't recall the specifics, but I think the rumors were that Keenan berated Luongo on a team flight. Shortly thereafter, Luongo made the shortlist of demands. Was an ugly situation all around.

That's how I remember it too. Keenan had run Bure off prior to that. That said, I think Laus and I were the only ones who were glad to see Lu go. I was never a big Luongo fan. I hope he changes my mind.

I honestly didn't mind Scott Clemmensen as much as some other people did. He had a winning record in his time here. If Ellis can do what he did at 900k, I'll take it. A backup goalie's job is to accept his role and not be terrible.

I didn't mind Clem either. I felt like he was doing the best job he could, given the talent in front of him. Last I checked, hockey is a team sport, and there were far too many losses hung on Clem's back.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah that was my mistake, I should have said late 2012-present Clemmer, he never got right after he hurt his (I think it was his leg?) in training camp that year. I never minded him before that.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I don't mind Clemmer as a 20 game-ish back up.

Well average at best, if the defense played like an actually NHL blueline, he had a solid night.

I think Ellis could do the same if Tallon goes out and gets quality defensemen instead of guys like Gilbert, Weaver and Jovo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad