Confirmed with Link: Thomas Greiss signs with Penguins (1 Year/$1 Million)

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
He's said to want a starting gig. And since thus is MAFs final season on his contract I guess the race is on. If greiss outplays MAF we might sign greiss and let MAF go. JR said he hopes greiss has the same kind of season khodobin had last season.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Solid backup, love the signing going forward. If Zat doesn't have a good camp, we have a solutions now rather then trade assets down the road

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
He's said to want a starting gig. And since thus is MAFs final season on his contract I guess the race is on. If greiss outplays MAF we might sign greiss and let MAF go. JR said he hopes greiss has the same kind of season khodobin had last season.

If Greiss does do better than MAF then it'd be a great decision. I can't see Greiss wanting more than $3m, maybe $3.75m most. Let Fleury go and bring up one of the G prospects as backup - Murray or Hartzell?

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Yes, you can. Straight from the CBA:

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.

In other words, waivers are only applicable from Sep 26 (my mistake, thought the season started on Oct 9 instead of Oct 8) through Apr ~11 (depending on the team). Any player sent down before or after that frame of time does not have to clear waivers to do so.

Nope, it doesn't say anywhere that you can send a waiver eligible player down before that date without him having to go to waivers. Othewsise teams would be exploiting that option all the time with players like Simon Despres etc. If that was the case you could keep a player on farm through his RFA-years (so 7 years in total) - and even beyond that if the player just would agree to sign with the team for his UFA-years (unlikely after such treatment of no chance to play in NHL). Doesn't work that way. If you send Zatkoff down on Sept 20th, he will just have to go on waivers when waiver period begins. Can't sneak anyone down without waivers if they are waiver eligible.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Yep, best case scenario for Greiss is he proves to be starter quality and gets a 2 year deal as a cheap #1, bridging the way to Jarry. Would love to have a sub 4M goalie after Fleury is gone.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I really hope they let Fleury walk. He's going to want a longterm extension. We better not give him it.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Pens signed Ehrhoff, Greiss and Goc.... sounds like Kuehnhackl's got a better chance of making the team than I would have thought! :sarcasm:

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yep, best case scenario for Greiss is he proves to be starter quality and gets a 2 year deal as a cheap #1, bridging the way to Jarry. Would love to have a sub 4M goalie after Fleury is gone.

Yes, and it seems to me that at Greiss is a lock to be a solid back-up at the least.

Given that, I don't know why they didn't give him a multi-year deal, unless he didn't want one.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yes, and it seems to me that at Greiss is a lock to be a solid back-up at the least.

Given that, I don't know why they didn't give him a multi-year deal, unless he didn't want one.

I'd imagine he's just hesitant to sign a multi-year deal anywhere because he doesn't want to lock himself into a backup role. He's looking for more and more playing time. A Coyotes beat reporter reported Greiss said this about signing here over Arizona or elsewhere.

Sarah McLellanVerified account ‏@azc_mclellan

Greiss said the chance to play more was biggest deciding factor for him. Said he has to play well but, "I hope I get the chance there."

https://twitter.com/azc_mclellan/status/484029931270467584

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd imagine he's just hesitant to sign a multi-year deal anywhere because he doesn't want to lock himself into a backup role. He's looking for more and more playing time. A Coyotes beat reporter reported Greiss said this about signing here over Arizona or elsewhere.

Sarah McLellanVerified account ‏@azc_mclellan

Greiss said the chance to play more was biggest deciding factor for him. Said he has to play well but, "I hope I get the chance there."

https://twitter.com/azc_mclellan/status/484029931270467584

I like the sound of that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm fine with giving Greiss sort of a mini-audition for the starting job. Maybe 30+ starts.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
This is the same type of signing as the Vokoun one. Both were brilliant, smart pickups of under-valued guys that we were able to get on great contracts. It is now up to the new coaching and scouting staffs to finally MOVE ON FROM MAF as the starter if Griess starts putting up similar (if not better) numbers. Shero made a great pickup with TV, but Bylsma didn't play him enough. Great idea, poor execution.....also is the title of my book about the Pens.

Even if he only puts up similar numbers as MAF, it is better to go with him as he will be a better value and is not proven to be a headcase in the playoffs. I'd be looking to move MAF ASAP once we have confidence in Griess.

Griess actually put in the 3rd best 5v5 SV% last year (1000 minutes min). He may surprise many here.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Greiss played 25 games last year and 19 games in 11-12. I doubt he came here so he could play less than that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This is the same type of signing as the Vokoun one. Both were brilliant, smart pickups of under-valued guys that we were able to get on great contracts. It is now up to the new coaching and scouting staffs to finally MOVE ON FROM MAF as the starter if Griess starts putting up similar (if not better) numbers. Shero made a great pickup with TV, but Bylsma didn't play him enough. Great idea, poor execution.....also is the title of my book about the Pens.

Even if he only puts up similar numbers as MAF, it is better to go with him as he will be a better value and is not proven to be a headcase in the playoffs. I'd be looking to move MAF ASAP once we have confidence in Griess.

Griess actually put in the 3rd best 5v5 SV% last year (1000 minutes min). He may surprise many here.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

Yea he could really fit the bill of a goalie who won't steal you games, but he won't lose you many either. I'd imagine there's a good chance he could come close to what Vokoun brought in 12-13 here.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
And if Thomas Greiss was in charge of picking our starting line-up, that would mean a whole lot more.

He couldn't possibly have been told he'll have more of an opportunity to get more starts here. Fleury's a pending UFA and proven playoff mental midget. It'd be silly not to see what he can do with a decent # of starts.

If anything, they'll want both goalies rested for the playoffs. That's what I've read every other sentence with management and coaching. It's about preparing for the playoffs. Who cares about Fleury's # of regular season starts but Fleury?

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
I know I'm like the only one here who still likes Fleury, but I'm still glad we brought in Greiss. Unlike so many others, I really hope that Fleury beats out Greiss (by performing very well, not by Greiss sucking) because he has the better natural ability and athleticism. If he can just put in 100% effort all the time, he could regain his position as a top 5 goalie in the league. But hopefully Greiss gives him the competition that he needs to keep working hard. Fleury hasn't had a legitimate chance of losing his franchise goalie tag for a while; Zatkoff obviously wasn't going to take over the #1 spot and Johnson and Vokoun were both close to retirement when we signed them. Having a young goalie around who could be a legit #1 will hopefully push Fleury to be his very best.

:handclap:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And if Thomas Greiss was in charge of picking our starting line-up, that would mean a whole lot more.

Which is why I said I'd be disappointed in the coaching staff if they stick to the status quo.

It's time this organization took a look at what life after Fleury would be like. Giving Greiss around 30 to 35 starts would be a good start, as it would still leave Fleury as the "#1", but Greiss will get enough starts to show what he's capable of.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He couldn't possibly have been told he'll have more of an opportunity to get more starts here. Fleury's a pending UFA and proven playoff mental midget. It'd be silly not to see what he can do with a decent # of starts.

If anything, they'll want both goalies rested for the playoffs. That's what I've read every other sentence with management and coaching. It's about preparing for the playoffs. Who cares about Fleury's # of regular season starts but Fleury?

I'm sure he'll have the opportunity. But he'll need to play well enough to earn some extra starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad