Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
7 minutes is certainly not enough time to show what you have in a game, absolutely no rhythm. You clearly have not played the sport if you think that. I dont need a 10 paragraph response, its simple ask anyone thats played. You can't play with confidence and you dont feel the pulse of the game.

I think DJ looks to shelter player with minutes, rather than punish them. The coaching staff probably looks for mistakes and good things, and provides the players with constant feed back. As stated earlier, I don’t think the coaching staff is interested in giving more ice time to players unless they feel that they can handle it, and that it would be positive to their development. That of course is in the scope of an entire roster of players that need ice time, and of course the management of the game as it’s being played.

I can respect your opinion on playing the sport at an amateur/recreation level, but you don’t have insight on how it is to be a professional athlete in these situations, so the value of your personal in game experiences is.... limited, though thanks for sharing.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
DJ’s allocation of ice time was solely focussed on getting W’s.

Development of young players was an afterthought.

What’s your take on development White and Lajoie showed after being “hurried” into the league ?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

i dont mind that tbh. I would have liked to have our younger players get more ice time and im sure I even complained about that on this board. At the same time being in competitive games and winning more than the occasional game was probably helpful to our young core in the long run as well

can see negatives and positives to either side. personally i am willing to bet the sens moral is higher than the wings

Reactions: Sweatred

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
i dont mind that tbh. I would have liked to have our younger players get more ice time and im sure I even complained about that on this board. At the same time being in competitive games and winning more than the occasional game was probably helpful to our young core in the long run as well

can see negatives and positives to either side. personally i am willing to bet the sens moral is higher than the wings
The Sens have 25 wins this season. I don’t think a couple extra wins are going to be helpful in anyway. This is still a losing environment.

Reactions: Sensung

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The Sens have 25 wins this season. I don’t think a couple extra wins are going to be helpful in anyway. This is still a losing environment.

25 wins, 12 overtime losses (tied for 2nd in the league and it means we were in those 12 games) and 6 regulation 1 goal losses

that means in 43 of the 71 games the sens were competitive in. That is a pretty good number considering sens fans, the media and im sure the players even were expecting us to be a historical bad team. Honestly that number is higher then i even expected writing this post considering our lack of talent on paper

Obviously we have a losing record but playing in those competitive games and losing those vs getting their asses kicked consistently is a huge difference

Reactions: NB613

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
25 wins, 12 overtime losses (tied for 2nd in the league and it means we were in those 12 games) and 6 regulation 1 goal losses

that means in 43 of the 71 games the sens were competitive in. That is a pretty good number considering sens fans, the media and im sure the players even were expecting us to be a historical bad team. Honestly that number is higher then i even expected writing this post considering our lack of talent on paper

Obviously we have a losing record but playing in those competitive games and losing those vs getting their asses kicked consistently is a huge difference
Being in “competitive” games doesn’t mean much when the team is on 5+ game losing streaks frequently. And I use the word competitive loosely because the only reason the team was close was because Chabot played half the game. Some unnecessary wear and tear.

Reactions: Sensung

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Being in “competitive” games doesn’t mean much when the team is on 5+ game losing streaks frequently. And I use the word competitive loosely because the only reason the team was close was because Chabot played half the game. Some unnecessary wear and tear.

only happened three times during the season

as for the chabot thing thats definitely true...but it was also true when we had karlsson

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
But your perspective presupposes that you know what is best for player development
I subscribe to the crazy notion that young players need playing time in meaningful situations to develop.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I subscribe to the crazy notion that young players need playing time in meaningful situations to develop.

I do too, to a degree; however, I also think that young players coming up from the AHL or elsewhere need to be eased into the NHL and given easier less risky assignments until they acclimatize to the league and its bigger, faster more highly skilled players.

Batherson looked lost and tentaive on his first call-ups. He has looked better since then. I hope to see him become more aggressive next season. I think Norris has the ambition to be better and more ready at the start of next season too.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I do too, to a degree; however, I also think that young players coming up from the AHL or elsewhere need to be eased into the NHL and given easier less risky assignments until they acclimatize to the league and its bigger, faster more highly skilled players.

Batherson looked lost and tentaive on his first call-ups. He has looked better since then. I hope to see him become more aggressive next season. I think Norris has the ambition to be better and more ready at the start of next season too.

I think you nailed here with this post

And by all accounts DJ Smith is highly regarded for his treatment of players and his communication skills with players, especially young players. I'd be inclined to believe he allocated ice time to young guys based on his assessment of their ability to play the minutes they were given

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think you nailed here with this post

And by all accounts DJ Smith is highly regarded for his treatment of players and his communication skills with players, especially young players. I'd be inclined to believe he allocated ice time to young guys based on his assessment of their ability to play the minutes they were given

Thanks. It does not happen very often. :)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Which ironically probably leads to best environment for young players to develop. In winning and professional environment.

The good thing is, the ice time was given to guys who are still somewhat part of our young core anyway.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If DJ Smith was solely focused on getting Ws he did a piss poor job of it given that Ottawa was the 2nd worse team in the league. On the other hand, they must have played over 30 some players last yr getting a good look at a lot of their young prospects. Now there could be a number of reasons why a certain player got sent back down or got less ice time.

For one, I doubt any GM wants to see a player they signed sitting out while a prospect gets more ice time, that's a waste of asset management & money. The AHL is where prospects are supposed to be developed not the NHL. When they get called up they have to show immediately that they are there to produce or be replaced by someone who can. It's a cruel business especially for those who are borderline NHL players & veterans fighting against younger players from taking their jobs & livelihood. It's also difficult for prospects who have more potential but are fighting against vets with contracts who are doing a decent job. The cream always rises as they say.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
How are people feeling about Chabot's game right now? Obviously early, but he hasn't looked like a game breaker recently to me.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

As obvious as this may appear - it is incorrect - a player needs to have a certain base skill to be able to develop with more playing time.

For example - Byfield or JBD probably wouldn’t positively develop in the NHL this year. So “more” playing time doesn’t ensure more development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad