Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think the race will be interresting
MTL just 7 points back with 22 games to go
I think ARI and SEA are a given to pass us
We should finish on par with the last couple of years ie the laughing stock of the league. .... AGAIN

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
f***, I am dreading watching tomorrows game live without him. What a waste of money on tickets, parking and especially gas coming all the way from Orleans.
feel that, got tickets for the game too, decent ones at that, don't even want to go

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Will he become our new Bobby Ryan?

Bad joke...a hand injury sucks but should be able to come back from it without lingering issues and it's not like he has a cannon for a shot anyway but damn we must be close to some informal record about injuries to top players throughout the org?

I would include Belleville and junior with Greig, Sanderson, Sox, Lassi...it's absolutely incredible.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brannstrom is gonna play totally decent for the remainder of the year and then start next year beside like some tough dude we pick up for a 3rd round pick

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Playing him to the ground just like they did with EK.

In his prime and a warrior, our best player and sad to see him not even have a partner who can help him win. If they just kept Demelo instead of trading him for a 3rd pick so a year later they could pay Gudbranson more money to be worse (and send a pick) . Anyways, Chabot is a stud and I hope for him he gets into the playoffs soon

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Feel bad for the injury.. I hope he returns in perfect shape and its not something that can linger.
Big depth issue with Chabot out for DJ and the coaching staff.
Brannstrom has been getting a lot of opportunity.. now he will get more and more ice that where he can play to his strengths offensively.
Chabot's absence will be noticed coming out of our end.
Zaitsev's game will be further tested as well.

Reactions: OD99

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
In his prime and a warrior, our best player and sad to see him not even have a partner who can help him win. If they just kept Demelo instead of trading him for a 3rd pick so a year later they could pay Gudbranson more money to be worse (and send a pick) . Anyways, Chabot is a stud and I hope for him he gets into the playoffs soon

Demelo was a UFA at the end of the season they traded him. They couldn't just keep him. He had to sign a deal to come back. He is now the fifth defenceman on a mediocre Jets team.

assennayo

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Demelo continues to be one of the most overrated players in Sens history
I think it's more about the fact that he was/is an NHL DMan and we havent had 6 NHL DMen at a time since he left, plus the fact that the asset & salary cost of Gudbranson + Brown was basically equivalent to the the cost/benefit of re-signing DeMelo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Demelo was a UFA at the end of the season they traded him. They couldn't just keep him. He had to sign a deal to come back. He is now the fifth defenceman on a mediocre Jets team.

assennayo
They never talked to him or his agent according to Demelo. There was no interest

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

assennayo
They never talked to him or his agent according to Demelo. There was no interest
Demelo continues to be one of the most overrated players in Sens history
Maybe but it speaks volumes about what the alternatives have been

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think it's more about the fact that he was/is an NHL DMan and we havent had 6 NHL DMen at a time since he left, plus the fact that the asset & salary cost of Gudbranson + Brown was basically equivalent to the the cost/benefit of re-signing DeMelo.

But it wasn't equivalent. The Sens traded Demelo before the pandemic shut everything down. Demelo signed a 4 year deal after the cap was frozen. Gudbranson was here for a season, Brown for 2 seasons. Gudbranson appears to be more valuable this season, now that he's in Calgary, than Demelo is this season.

Assen na yo.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
We didn’t have 6 NHL D when we had him, which is why we had #6 guy in Demelo playing alongside Chabot.
Agreed, but getting rid of one of the few we did have & downgrading to worse players was a blunder.
But it wasn't equivalent. The Sens traded Demelo before the pandemic shut everything down. Demelo signed a 4 year deal after the cap was frozen. Gudbranson was here for a season, Brown for 2 seasons. Gudbranson appears to be more valuable this season, now that he's in Calgary, than Demelo is this season.

Assen na yo.
The fact that there was a frozen cap works both ways - it also means that Gudbranson & Brown should have cost less to acquire... or at least Gudbranson.

DeMelo returned the 71st overall pick and was extended for 12m; Gudbranson & Brown were acquired for the 148th & 95th pick, respectively, and have been paid out approx 5.6m over 2yrs. And, what do you know, we are still looking for at least 1 RHD who can play regular minutes.

What these guys are doing elsewhere is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

assennayo

It seems likely that had we wanted to re-sign him, we could likely have come to terms with him. Where he plays on Winnipeg is less relevant than where he'd slot here, with Pionk and one of Morrissey or Schmidt (don't recall which one plays the off side) playing ahead of him on the right side in WPG, it's no shame being on the third Pair.

We'd surely be better off with him than J.Brown, and while we'd not have gotten the third, we'd have kept our 4th (95'th OA) and maybe seen fit not to trade for Gudbranson and instead just picked up a low cost UFA for a 7th Dman saving us a 5th.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

assennayo

He had good chemistry with Chabot and they played well together. Demelo isn’t Jay Bouwmeester but he would be the 4th best Dman on this team - and that’s why it was stupid to trade him. And you had a partner for Chabot, now they have Zaitsev dragging him down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad